Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can autopilot in model S merge you onto a highway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

newguy05

Jul 29, 2016
NJ
Hi, for the model S owners who are familiar with the autopilot feature, can someone tell me if the current version will auto merge the car onto a highway from the ramp?

My daily commute involves merging onto a very busy highway with a badly designed very short on ramp - there are bumper to bumper cars that are going 60 mph+ all the time during rush hour. I am always nervous even after all this time to merge into it as it's very challenging finding that empty space, i am honest to admit half the time it's hope/pray mode the car in the lane i am merging into will slow down a little for me to get in, otherwise you just cant find an empty spot.

So going back on top, does tesla autopilot have the function to auto merge for you using built in tech to calculate the exact gap the vehicle can use to merge into the lane.

Thank you

No. The current autopilot suite can maintain the lane you are in and match speed to the vehicle in front of you. That's it.

Autopilot is NOT self driving, and has never been advertised as such. It is simply a better form of cruise control. You must maintain full control of the vehicle at all times, if you aren't comfortable driving in a particular situation, you DEFINITELY should never engage autopilot in that same situation.

That said, the insane torque of these cars makes merging in to any spot much easier than in any other vehicle I've ever driven as you can easily match the speed of traffic and insert yourself in any small gap in the stream of cars. But that's 100% on the driver to perform.

Eventually, swarm logic may address this - the other self driving cars create a gap just the right size and your car times itself to match.

Until that happens, this is going to be a challenging part - especially for the current AP cars, which can't see to the rear except by the ~16 foot ultrasound bubble. Until radar or a camera to the rear is incorporated into AP, merging autonomously isn't going to happen.

(the rear view camera is probably suitable, but not currently connected to AP and used.)

Reactions: Vince Cobelo
No, autopilot will not help you merge onto a highway.

However, the incredible torgue will enable you to put yourself where you want to be almost instantly. If there's a space nearby, you won't need ned someone to 'let' you in. ;-)

If the merge lane is long enough, you can use the signal to slide over, but the car won't "find a hole" to merge for you. You don't want to try that if it's busy.

It's generally not worth the effort. Engage it once you're established in your lane on the highway, and life is beautiful. (Except I'd still prefer smoother braking to reduce wear on the brake pads).

My Tesla motto: "No yellow too short, no gap too small" applies to highway on ramps. The car behind a (potential) gap is more
likely to slow down (and thus open the gap) if you're instantly right there keeping pace, next to the gap, than when they think
you're pitifully trying to catch up with the flow of traffic.

My Tesla motto: "No yellow too short, no gap too small" applies to highway on ramps. The car behind a (potential) gap is more
likely to slow down (and thus open the gap) if you're instantly right there keeping pace, next to the gap, than when they think
Ummmm, I'm sure this made sense in your head, but...... Whaaaaaaa?

speed/ acceleration obviously helps with aggressive driving. We all do things like this occasionally but it is still rude bad driving

• Disagree
Reactions: RogerHScott
if AP is locked on to the car in front of you (rather than following the line markings on the road) while u are merging, then AP could potentially merge u on the highway, but I prefer the advice of @Todd Burch above.

Best practice is to drive yourself onto the highway ("establish yourself in your lane") and yes, life [with AP] is beautiful.

sit back, while keeping your eyes on the road, let AP take you through the rest of your journey until it is time to once again switch roads, or exit the highway completely.

speed/ acceleration obviously helps with aggressive driving. We all do things like this occasionally but it is still rude bad driving
I think any rudeness is being displayed by the people not making any effort to allow people to merge onto busy roads. If you consider actually getting onto a busy highway "aggressive driving" then I guess you must spend a lot of time on surface streets.

I dont think I want to subject my Tesla to the 'no yellow too short" philosophy. No yellow too short works, until it doesn't. That could be costly.
As with all things in life is it crucial to distinguish the ability to do something from the desire to do it, or the necessity of doing it. As I tell
my kids, a good working definition of "civilization" is the distinction between what is possible and what is desirable. My point about the
Tesla is simply that I prefer the choice of which yellow lights to get through to be mine, not one forced by limits on the car's capabilities.
Same for getting into/through small gaps in traffic.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec and green1
As with all things in life is it crucial to distinguish the ability to do something from the desire to do it, or the necessity of doing it. As I tell
my kids, a good working definition of "civilization" is the distinction between what is possible and what is desirable. My point about the
Tesla is simply that I prefer the choice of which yellow lights to get through to be mine, not one forced by limits on the car's capabilities.
Same for getting into/through small gaps in traffic.

Agreed. It is nice to have a car that can.

Reactions: Ciaopec
I think any rudeness is being displayed by the people not making any effort to allow people to merge onto busy roads. If you consider actually getting onto a busy highway "aggressive driving" then I guess you must spend a lot of time on surface streets.

Totally agree. My apologies...It seems that some purposefully try to prevent others from merging. This just happened to me, but no contest for my model S!

I would add that I think one of the worst short-comings of the auto-pilot features is that it can and does make lane changes somewhat too aggressively for my taste. The side and rear sensors have very limited range, so a car in the next lane that is just out of range but traveling fast will not be detected, and the Tesla will attempt to move over and can cut them off. That could be hazardous! And that is exactly what you would be doing in an on-ramp merge. So I agree with others -- do it yourself.