Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can MYP match MYLR range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm debating getting a Y at the end of the month to take advantage of the 7500 tax credit. I'm debating a P vs LR, the 3K cost difference doesn't matter to me but the range difference and the 21" wheels do. In the case of the 21" wheels I'm willing to put out additional money and get T Sportline 19" with new tires. What I want to know is if a P has a mode, chill maybe, that would enable it to match the range of the LR?

Reactions: Turknhoff
This is from Tesla's web page.

"Chill: limits acceleration for a smooth and gentle ride (available on all vehicles equipped with Autopilot hardware). Standard: provides the normal level of acceleration (available on non-Performance All-Wheel Drive vehicles and Rear Wheel Drive Model S vehicles equipped with Autopilot hardware)".

The difference in range is due to the different wheels. The 21 inch wheels have higher rolling resistance. The difference isn't due to different motors/inverter. If you are primarily concerned about range, don't get the performance version. It's more expensive and to get the same range you have to spend even more money on smaller rims and new tires. If you are not too concerned about money, get the performance and swap the wheels. You will have more fun if you want to but have the same range as the LR version.
That's what I ended up doing. I got the performance version and I ordered smaller wheels. I'll do some test runs before and after I change the wheels. I'll post once I have results.

Reactions: Gaige and EARL99208
Just get the LR and if you feel you need a bit more power, add acceleration boost. The 21" wheel tire combo destroys the ride not to mention the terrible, no protection curb magnet. My 20" inductions have not been off the car for 2 years and will only go back on when the car is sold. 18" is the way to go for improved range and comfort.

I just put 19" wheels on my MYP for the winter and am enjoying the ride quality and ability to hit bumps without worrying about bending a wheel.

No reason to get the Performance if you're going to spend even more money to go back to 19" wheels. Just get the LR, and add acceleration boost if you feel it's necessary as another member stated.

The factory LR 19" wheels with Continental tires are a comfortable combo that will eke out another 10-15mi of range.

Last edited:
I'm debating getting a Y at the end of the month to take advantage of the 7500 tax credit. I'm debating a P vs LR, the 3K cost difference doesn't matter to me but the range difference and the 21" wheels do. In the case of the 21" wheels I'm willing to put out additional money and get T Sportline 19" with new tires. What I want to know is if a P has a mode, chill maybe, that would enable it to match the range of the LR?
Switch to 19” and don’t drive with lead foot or use chill mode. I am putting 19” on my MYP this week for an upcoming road trip. I wanted more range and more protection from tire blowout in case I hit a pothole. I had ordered 18” but switched to 19” because I’d didn’t want wife to think about speedometer not being accurate due to 18” wheels since she drives the car often (only in chill mode because she is afraid if sport mode’s power 🤣).

I had ordered 18” but switched to 19” because I’d didn’t want wife to think about speedometer not being accurate due to 18” wheels since she drives the car often (only in chill mode because she is afraid if sport mode’s power 🤣).
Wheel size will not affect the speedometer, only the diameter of the wheel/tire assembly. That is dictated by the size of the tire and not the size of the wheel. i.e. to go down to an 18 inch wheel, you buy a tire with a higher aspect ratio (taller sidewall) to stay at the same overall diameter as the OEM setup.

Wheel size will not affect the speedometer, only the diameter of the wheel/tire assembly. That is dictated by the size of the tire and not the size of the wheel. i.e. to go down to an 18 inch wheel, you buy a tire with a higher aspect ratio (taller sidewall) to stay at the same overall diameter as the OEM setup.
Doesn't the car allow you to configure your tire size, etc so it can automatically adjust speedometer, range estimates, etc?

Doesn't the car allow you to configure your tire size, etc so it can automatically adjust speedometer, range estimates, etc?
Like @boones said, the overall diameter of the tires are always the same. (Except for the taller rear size on the MYP... but the car knows that). Changing the wheel size in the car does affect the range estimates, yes.

As long as you're sticking with the stock tire sizes, the front diameters are essentially unchanged between 19", 20", and 21" variants, so there is no change in speedometer accuracy.

Thanks for all the comments. Just waiting for the end of year sale to begin.

It’s in full swing… 6 months free supercharging for everyone, 3 months free FSD for the referral program or 10,000 credits for the loyalty program, ~$4k off MYP inventory…

Not gonna get much better than that.
Check out inventory cars in your area... buy now

I couldn’t find tire sizes for the Hankook Ion Evo AS SUV tires that were the 18” recommendations from Martian Wheels so I went with 19”.

The difference in range is due to the different wheels. The 21 inch wheels have higher rolling resistance. The difference isn't due to different motors/inverter. If you are primarily concerned about range, don't get the performance version. It's more expensive and to get the same range you have to spend even more money on smaller rims and new tires. If you are not too concerned about money, get the performance and swap the wheels. You will have more fun if you want to but have the same range as the LR version.
That's what I ended up doing. I got the performance version and I ordered smaller wheels. I'll do some test runs before and after I change the wheels. I'll post once I have results.
Tire type plays a large roll as well. The mylr has low rolling resistance.

Hi all,

Just registered for this site and have almost same questions.

Have 2022 MYP and recently swapped out my 21” wheels to 18” aftermarket from T Sportline. They clear the brakes and everything so far so good. Main reason to get more range, more comfortable ride, and also have a squared set up so I can rotate the tires.

I noticed the configurator to select different wheels on my car doesn’t go down to 18” the lowest is 19.” Went to a Tesla service center today to ask and the guy just told me to keep it at 19”. Upon reading comments am I okay or should I be doing something else? Link below, would appreciate any feedback to check if I screwed up and should’ve gone with the 19”?

T Sportline Model Y Wheels & Tires

Hi all,

Just registered for this site and have almost same questions.

Have 2022 MYP and recently swapped out my 21” wheels to 18” aftermarket from T Sportline. They clear the brakes and everything so far so good. Main reason to get more range, more comfortable ride, and also have a squared set up so I can rotate the tires.

I noticed the configurator to select different wheels on my car doesn’t go down to 18” the lowest is 19.” Went to a Tesla service center today to ask and the guy just told me to keep it at 19”. Upon reading comments am I okay or should I be doing something else? Link below, would appreciate any feedback to check if I screwed up and should’ve gone with the 19”?

T Sportline Model Y Wheels & Tires

Yes you can use the TS 18"s. The OEM 18"s do not have the clearance for the larger performance brakes equipped on most Ps.

will-18-inch-wheels-fit-on-tesla-model-3-performance-yes

It’s in full swing… 6 months free supercharging for everyone, 3 months free FSD for the referral program or 10,000 credits for the loyalty program, ~$4k off MYP inventory…

Not gonna get much better than that.

The discount in my area is less than 4K (on Performance Y) and varies from vehicle to vehicle. I noticed a pattern over the last two months where black and gray have the highest discount (2000 to 3800) and other colors are usually on the lower end of the discount (1000 to 2500). I think this is a regional thing because these colors may be less popular where I'm located.. The ones 'in transit' have no discount or up to 1500. There are over 30 MYPs at my local store, maybe 15 in inventory and the rest marked In Transit. Not to mention all the M3Ps and lower models.

I believe Tesla will give a better deal in the last week of December. Tesla's have no resale value currently so it's a tough decision to buy now with such a small discount. Highland is ready just not released in the USA because of the excess inventory, and Juniper Lite is ready and just not released in the USA because of excess inventory, and the upcoming Juniper. I estimate the resale value will drop by at least $3000 when the update 3 & Y arrive, so it pretty much just negates the EV Battery tax credit. The dilemma is I want either a 3 or Y now.. Elon is pure evil LOL

Last edited: