Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the Model Y tow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The range reduction when towing is primarily due to the increased aerodynamic drag produced by what is being towed, not the weight of what is being towed. That’s why you can achieve a lower Wh/mi number with your Bowlus than I can with my significantly lighter Alto trailer; the shape of the Bowlus results in less drag.

True when driving a flat course. But driving to camping locations or lakes often involves elevation changes. As an extreme example, towing 5000 lbs from the Rocklin Supercharger to the Truckee Supercharger (a distance of 80 miles) isn't possible with a P90D Model X and probably won't be with the Model Y either. (though it might work with the 2400 lb Bowlus; I definitely plan to try that!)

The lack of air suspension might explain why towing is not yet offered on the Model 3, but I don't think vehicle weight will be a limiting factor for achieving a 5000 lb tow rating on the 3/Y. It's easy to find vehicles that are rated to tow more than their own weight, Tesla Semi included!

Well that's an unfair characterization, being an American myself

I was partially poking fun at the "everything's bigger in America" trope, hence the rather in extremis picture choices: but considering this selection of comments from just the first page of the thread, I think the idea that Americans generally pull larger loads is warranted.

Yes. Hopefully standard, and hopefully 5,000 pounds.
able to tow at least 3500 hopefully 5000.
I need a minimum of 4500 lbs or it's no-go for me.
4000 pounds of towing is quite useful.
I need to tow a 22' ski boat, but only about 7 miles from storage to the lake. I need capacity, not range.
I'm just not looking to pay $50K to spec the Y to tow a measley 3K pounds

• Informative
Reactions: Model 3
I asked Tesla Account Support the following question:
I'm trying to get formal confirmation if the new Model Y will be able to tow and how much weight it will be rated for. Nothing was said at the reveal and I can't find anything in the online documentation. Thanks, Phil
Their response was:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Tesla. We apologize for the delay in response, as we are experiencing high volume at this time.

At this time, we do not have any information to share on this inquiry. We will have details available when the feature is available.

Please visit our Support Page, which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla and your vehicle. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support 24/7 at xxx-xxx-xxxx

Towing option just announced for the Model 3 though for europe only at the moment, so the same option can't be far behind for the Y. It's not a "bolt on" system for the M3, so it must be ordered as an option with the M3. 2,000 lbs capacity and the options cost is $1,250,
Source: Tesla launches tow hitch for Model 3

If the Model Y towing option follows the M3 example, I don't expect to add the option to a preorder without reseting the pricing -- I'll wait, but If that is the case I'll cancel my pre-order check the pricing and competition in 2021.

I would really like something that can tow an Airstream Basecamp, which weighs 2600 lbs. I'm thinking of taking a few years' sabbatical in the next year or so just travelling the continent and I'm hoping the Model Y will manage. I am pretty sure my M3 Performance isn't ideal! :D

As an aside, it would be really amazing if Tesla did an EV camper. I get the feeling Volkswagen will get there first though.

I would really like something that can tow an Airstream Basecamp, which weighs 2600 lbs. I'm thinking of taking a few years' sabbatical in the next year or so just travelling the continent and I'm hoping the Model Y will manage. I am pretty sure my M3 Performance isn't ideal! :D

As an aside, it would be really amazing if Tesla did an EV camper. I get the feeling Volkswagen will get there first though.

I just want a place to attach a bike rack.

Imagine that Tesla will design the Model Y from the beginning to have towing capability. Maybe not available when it first comes out, as I imagine they will need to validate it with appropriate governmental agencies.

May also only come with long range batteries or other items in a package.

Seeing that the European "current models" won't be able to be retrofitted -- it will be an interesting conversation in our household if there is not an option for a hitch by the time manufacture/delivery of the Y. A proper bike rack is a deal-breaker for us. Even if my (reserved) vehicle price changes (in addition to the cost of the hitch) to add an option the wasn't available when I made my reservation -- I'd probably do it and grumble to Tesla.

SUVs are expected to be tow capable -- if even a little (1,500 lbs). Manufacturing efficiency dictates all model Ys should be tow capable with either an included hitch reciever (unlikely) or a field installable kit for reciever and wiring. To custom manufacure a tow versions of the Y would just extend Tesla's "manufacturing hell" issues. Then again, this is Tesla

The Model X is rated at 5,000 lbs. tow capacity and I would expect a dual motor Y to do between 3,500 and 5,000.

My need is to tow a light trailer (2,000 lbs max) a few times a year plus use of a bike rack. It's light use, but a need is a need.

I might have to cancel my Model Y order if M3's towing capacity is any indication of Model Y's. I really hope Model Y can tow at least 3500lbs.

$1250 for a tow bar seems a bit pricey.

I'm hopeful for 3,500 or more Y tow capacity. They are now putting the M3 technology drive motors in the new S & X models - plenty of power, so its just a matter of how the hitch reciever is integrated into the Y frame to get the tow rating. Load issues on the drive train can be handled in software as it is in several modestly sized ICE tow capable SUVs. I could see different load ratings based on single or dual motor configurations. My reservation/pre-order is still in at the moment.

I just want a place to attach a bike rack.

A proper bike rack is a deal-breaker for us.
I use a hitch mounted bike rack on my SUV and on the back of our travel trailer (which is why we still own an ICE SUV) so I understand the desire for a hitch for the bike rack.
48E89E16-AB41-477D-A7A3-0974F3446A8D.jpeg
However I'm glad I didn't let that stop me from getting the Model 3 without a hitch. When going solo I simply toss my bike (either road or 29" MTB) in the trunk. When going with my boys the Sea Sucker Bomber does the trick. It's as fast to mount as my hitch rack and works great.

SUVs are expected to be tow capable -- if even a little (1,500 lbs). Manufacturing efficiency dictates all model Ys should be tow capable with either an included hitch reciever (unlikely) or a field installable kit for reciever and wiring. To custom manufacure a tow versions of the Y would just extend Tesla's "manufacturing hell" issues. Then again, this is Tesla

The Model X is rated at 5,000 lbs. tow capacity and I would expect a dual motor Y to do between 3,500 and 5,000.

My need is to tow a light trailer (2,000 lbs max) a few times a year plus use of a bike rack. It's light use, but a need is a need.

For product differentiation with the Model X, Tesla will likely limit the tow capacity to 3,000 lbs. max. The Model X includes a 2” receiver capable of towing 5,000 pounds on 20” wheels or 3,500 pounds on 22” wheels".

For reference, the towing capacity of some competitors:

Jaguar I-PACE = Not Rated
Hyundai Kona EV = Not recommended
Toyota RAV4 = 1,500 lbs.
Acura RDX = 1,500 lbs.
Lexus NX 300 = 2,000 lbs.
Infinity QX50 = 3,000 lbs.
Volvo XC60 = 3,500 lbs.
Audi Q4 e-tron = 4,000 lbs.
BMW X3 = 4,400 lbs.
Audi Q5 = 4,400 lbs.
Porsche Macan S = 4,409 lbs.

Towing option just announced for the Model 3 though for europe only at the moment, so the same option can't be far behind for the Y. It's not a "bolt on" system for the M3, so it must be ordered as an option with the M3. 2,000 lbs capacity and the options cost is $1,250,
Source: Tesla launches tow hitch for Model 3

If the Model Y towing option follows the M3 example, I don't expect to add the option to a preorder without reseting the pricing -- I'll wait, but If that is the case I'll cancel my pre-order check the pricing and competition in 2021.