Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we all sign this SPOTIFY Petition - PLEASE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quality of the stream is another point for an app over bluetooth. I totally agree there. I think we are all on the same page, it would be nice to have either all the apps we want, or a way to use them easily such as Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Spotify, Apple Music, Google Music, Pandora, Slacker, etc.; they all have their fans for different reasons.

If the Tesla music service does happen, and is decent, I'd try it. The problem is it would take a lot to get me away from Google Music at this point. I personally don't want to pay for more than one as I take a lot of time to curate a collection and playlists and having that kind of stuff in more than one place would be a pain to keep it updated to say the least. Plus, I use the family plan with Google Music, which allows my family to each have their own curated libraries and playlists. It works great, but we would all be switching and that's 4 users all having to set things up anew.

I spoke with people who work at Spotify about US Tesla integration. The reason why they didn't do it, is because Spotify requires a lot more data streaming (it phones back to the server all the time with information on which song played last, where you stopped it, etc.). And Tesla wasn't happy about it. In EU they didn't have a choice, since Slacker isn't available there. I wasn't told this directly, but my understanding was, that Spotify didn't want to lower data usage just for Tesla, so I highly doubt this will happen just because of the petition.

I spoke with people who work at Spotify about US Tesla integration. The reason why they didn't do it, is because Spotify requires a lot more data streaming (it phones back to the server all the time with information on which song played last, where you stopped it, etc.). And Tesla wasn't happy about it. In EU they didn't have a choice, since Slacker isn't available there. I wasn't told this directly, but my understanding was, that Spotify didn't want to lower data usage just for Tesla, so I highly doubt this will happen just because of the petition.

Wow very interesting! Thank you for these (hopefully accurate) insights as to WHY Tesla would be so (pardon my French) stupid integrating Slacker over Spotify.

I don't know if the petition will work or not. But I know I want Spotify in my Tesla and I know that signing the petition won't hurt me, but might send a message to Tesla and Spotify. I mean honestly, especially with the Model 3 around the corner, Spotify would be happy to have even more streamers especially since the competition is getting bigger by the day! So if they know that Tesla owners are highly interested in their service being integrated in the car, why would they not want to go the extra mile in order to secure a exclusive contract with Tesla. Sometimes you just need to make these companies aware of a problem, and aware of a potential market. I believe they already crossed off Tesla USA and don't even think about it anymore, so if someone has connections to Spotify and can show him a petition with a few thousand signatures, that might be enough to make them look at the case once more.

PLEASE SHARE AND SIGN!

Reactions: JohnnyG
I spoke with people who work at Spotify about US Tesla integration. The reason why they didn't do it, is because Spotify requires a lot more data streaming (it phones back to the server all the time with information on which song played last, where you stopped it, etc.)
Did you believe them?
Spotify knows what song you played last because that's the song you downloaded last! Same as Slacker or TuneIn.

Anyway, I just tried Spotify and I can't believe how much more superior to Slacker it is, appears that the only reason you'd need a usb drive with some songs is only if you plan to be somewhere with no internet coverage. It does not even matter that you cannot make favorites in spotify UI, but I guess you might not even need that.
You can play entire album, you can have real playlists, you can play just particular artist, ...

I am not sure petition will work, but if those of you who are in the older cars will mention to Tesla that you are holding off on your car refresh until Spotify becomes available in US, that might have a much bigger impact.

Some valid points have been made here and will sign to help out, I Stream Sirius all the time but if Steve Jobs thinks its a good idea I might as well help out as well :D

Spotify.JPG

I don't mind the system on there now. I also think it's funny seeing this pop up on Facebook every few weeks. A friend of mine was complaining on there and...well let's just say lots of people gave him *sugar* for complaining and petitioning that the free music streaming service in his fancy car wasn't good enough. It was funny to watch.

Hope it works but I'm not sure I care. Spotify is ok but not that much different to me for what I use the music system in the car for.

I have my my primary Spotify playlist on a USB drive in the S and it works quite well. As I am a Premium Spotify member and pay the monthly subscription service, I don't have any issue with having a large playlist of high fidelity (by Spotify standards) on a USB key in the S. It's not the same as having the entire Spotify universe available via streaming, but between this solution and using bluetooth it works.