Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It sure seems that way with a lack of SC's in strategic places like Buffalo and Erie, and London/Chatham. If that is their assumption, it's definitely bogus.

I wonder if the assumption is that Canadians will stay in Canada and Americans will stay in the US? As I say, the 401 from Windsor/Detroit is basically an extension of Interstate 75 that a lot of tourist traffic into and out of Canada travels on. They're gone now, but a few years ago there used to be combined Hwy 401 / I-75 placards on the highway as far north as Milton. I think it was part of the Advantage 75 program for truck traffic. It's an important corridor that's being ignored.

It sure seems that way with a lack of SC's in strategic places like Buffalo and Erie, and London/Chatham. If that is their assumption, it's definitely bogus.

Sorry all if I seem to be ranting on this. I certainly recognize the issues Tesla has with equipment certification, locations and electrical permitting that comes with operating in Canada. I am more concerned with the prioritization and wonder if travel routes have been considered or whether Tesla is just looking at where their owners reside and then are making assumptions about routes. At the electric utility I work for, we are promoting EVs for, among other benefits, economic development, and tourism is a big one.

We're all very disappointed that there are no Superchargers yet, especially given the original promised schedule. But yes, I'm sure it's certification and permitting issues that are holding it up in large measure, and that's not something Tesla has much control over.

In two weeks I depart on a business trip to the NY/NJ border. This year it's at least possible to drive my Tesla due to a couple of Sun Country stations that have been added. But I have to go off my route to get to them, with the result that I'd need TWO charges of almost the full pack capacity to get there. I simply don't have enough time to do that, so I'll be renting a crappy ICE vehicle again. Even one Supercharger along the route would have made the trip feasible. Too bad the Albany Supercharger hasn't been built yet. :frown:

In two weeks I depart on a business trip to the NY/NJ border. This year it's at least possible to drive my Tesla due to a couple of Sun Country stations that have been added. But I have to go off my route to get to them, with the result that I'd need TWO charges of almost the full pack capacity to get there. I simply don't have enough time to do that, so I'll be renting a crappy ICE vehicle again. Even one Supercharger along the route would have made the trip feasible. Too bad the Albany Supercharger hasn't been built yet. :frown:

As slyastro just did, if anyone wants to leave Canada passing by Montreal, going south towards Albany, I offer a free charge on my HPWC (240V / 80A) in Candiac right by Aut 15 to start the trip full. Its about 340km Candiac - Albany. Slyastro did it yesterday in -6C to +6C clear weather.

From Ottawa, using the new Aut 30 from Vaudreuil towards Aut 15, I am 1km away from that junction. I'm on PlugShare and work from home so the HPWC is pretty much always available, including during the day ;)

Slyastro is doing the first Montreal to Miami trip right now, you can follow him on Facebook and on his blog (in French).

+1 mnx...when our kids were younger, we would drive to Florida (the Keys) every March break...both the I75 and I77 / I95 routes are heavily travelled that time of year...TM needs to realize that as old guys like 40 Creek start to retire, they just might want to drive down to the sunny south to avoid winters (such as the never ending winter of 2014...) :wink::biggrin:

As slyastro just did, if anyone wants to leave Canada passing by Montreal, going south towards Albany, I offer a free charge on my HPWC (240V / 80A) in Candiac right by Aut 15 to start the trip full. Its about 340km Candiac - Albany. Slyastro did it yesterday in -6C to +6C clear weather.

From Ottawa, using the new Aut 30 from Vaudreuil towards Aut 15, I am 1km away from that junction. I'm on PlugShare and work from home so the HPWC is pretty much always available, including during the day ;)

Slyastro is doing the first Montreal to Miami trip right now, you can follow him on Facebook and on his blog (in French).

Oh, I certainly know it's possible to do. No problem. It's just that I'll have one day to get there, and that doesn't look to be possible. In a gas car it's about a 6 hour drive via the most direct route. But if I have to take a longer route to get to the chargers, and do two full charging stops, I can't do it in a day.

On the plus aside, all this delay has made sure that you aren't going to get the older 90 kW, or the even the 120 kW versions. People have seen new 135 kW superchargers now in the US, some with lighting in the charge handle holder. So it'll be awesome when you do get it!

On the plus aside, all this delay has made sure that you aren't going to get the older 90 kW, or the even the 120 kW versions. People have seen new 135 kW superchargers now in the US, some with lighting in the charge handle holder. So it'll be awesome when you do get it!

Yes that certainly helps!

I hope they can get back to or exceed the January installation rate of SuperChargers soon....

+1 mnx...when our kids were younger, we would drive to Florida (the Keys) every March break...both the I75 and I77 / I95 routes are heavily travelled that time of year...TM needs to realize that as old guys like 40 Creek start to retire, they just might want to drive down to the sunny south to avoid winters (such as the never ending winter of 2014...) :wink::biggrin:

LOL... hey, I read these forums you know!!
and yes... I have spent hours mapping the route from my home near Hamilton to Florida, measuring and planning the required stops. I see the need for chargers in places like Erie for example. People in Canada want to travel to the US. The reverse is also true.

I tried finding any proof of that and couldn't... Can anyone confirm or deny?

If you're talking about BC, the requirements of the charging hardware rebate are here --> LiveSmart BC - Transportation Rebates and Incentives

Coles notes:

- the program expires March 31 (Monday) so application must be made before then.
- Application must be made within 90 days of purchasing the EV charging station
- Proof that you own a qualifying EV must be provided
- Charging equipment must be listed in their "qualifying equipment list".

I tried finding any proof of that and couldn't... Can anyone confirm or deny?

My mistake, the requirements are you have to have already received the vehicle rebate, and you have 6 months from the date of purchase of the EVSE to apply for the rebate.

This is for the Ontario program which pays 50% of costs of the EVSE unit and installation, to a maximum of $1,000 paid by gov't.

The permit is, of course, nothing more than permission from the muni to build the proposed structure. There are a lot of other hurdles. During email exchanges before my delivery last week, I tried to gently extract some info about the Squamish SC progress - I'm an automation engineer and work closely with electrical engineers every day. Hey, it's never a mistake to try sounding out a possible business opportunity!

Once the muni permit is approved, then the other barriers are:

- seismic; given the size/height of the SC units, it's likely there will be a requirement to review the design for seismic stability. Just because there are similar units installed in California doesn't mean it passes muster here. Lower mainland is a different seismic zone, so the design will need review by a BC registered P.Eng and signed off.

- CSA; This is a problem I have with almost anything I deal with from that's manufactured in the US and has wires on it. US manufacturers think they can get UL approval and that makes it okay to ship to Canada. Not the case - CSA inspection is required. A UL inspector with the correct training can apply a ULC label (UL canada) and that is accepted. A trade electrician has the right to refuse to do any work on non CSA/ULC approved equipment, and an inspector will not pass the installation anyway.

- BC Hydro; BCH works on strange ways, and they dictate the schedule. Application for a BCH connection should be made well in advance, so that the installation contractor has plenty of notice on where to place conduit for the underground dip, location and size of the metering enclosure and dimensions of the pull box.

I know that Tesla likes to do things on their own a lot, but there's a minefield out there when dealing with electrical services in BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.