Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to find a source for highway traffic utilization or such and so far haven't, [..]

It's not hard. Google will lead you to Traffic Volumes from the Ontario Ministry of Transportation. They don't have really recent data, but it's all there.

http://www.raqsb.mto.gov.on.ca/techpubs/TrafficVolumes.nsf/tvweb

It looks to me like the "annual average daily traffic volume" figures (2010) from the 402 interchange to the west end of 401 are 27,000 or less, whereas the figures between the 416 interchange and, well, anywhere further west, are higher. At both ends the volumes are lower - east of the 416 interchange (to the Quebec border) it's on the order of 17,000, whereas at the extreme west end it's typically over 20,000.

For reference, the AADT through the Toronto region goes as high as 400,000. Holy expletive deleted.

The data is there. You guys go ahead now and argue over the interpretation. :)

(Keep in mind that traffic volume includes trucks and buses.)

Canada's First Supercharger in Context

Hi fellow Canucks! I thought for those outside BC, you might enjoy seeing what possessed Tesla to put Canada's first supercharger in such a seemingly remote area. A picture is worth a thousand words:
IMG_4137.jpg

The red star marks the spot. This is the Squamish valley seen from the new scenic Sea-to-Sky gondola just south of town. Mount Garibaldi (Diamond Head) is in the upper right. Whistler is just beyond the horizon in the top middle of the picture.

Hi fellow Canucks! I thought for those outside BC, you might enjoy seeing what possessed Tesla to put Canada's first supercharger in such a seemingly remote area. A picture is worth a thousand words:
View attachment 56032

The red star marks the spot. This is the Squamish valley seen from the new scenic Sea-to-Sky gondola just south of town. Mount Garibaldi (Diamond Head) is in the upper right. Whistler is just beyond the horizon in the top middle of the picture.
Awesome shoot, thanks!

I've been trying to find a source for highway traffic utilization or such and so far haven't, so my "evidence" is purely anecdotal at this point. What I do know is that the 401 between Toronto and Windsor is at least 3 lanes (each way) for the entire length except for a very small leg from beyond Windsor towards Chatham. In some areas (for instance, the Waterloo Region), they're tearing out bridges in preparation for widening it to 4 or 5 lanes each way. The last time I drove to Montreal, the 401 was predominantly a measly 2 lanes (each direction) for much of the distance. I have to assume the MOT widened the sections that carry more traffic.

Completing the 401 west corridor would connect southern Ontario with the US Supercharger network and enable/support tourist travel which is very important to the local economy. (Equally important in my mind is the QEW corridor connecting Niagara Falls and Fort Erie/Buffalo).

Thanks and agreed - see below.

It's not hard. Google will lead you to Traffic Volumes from the Ontario Ministry of Transportation. They don't have really recent data, but it's all there.

http://www.raqsb.mto.gov.on.ca/techpubs/TrafficVolumes.nsf/tvweb

It looks to me like the "annual average daily traffic volume" figures (2010) from the 402 interchange to the west end of 401 are 27,000 or less, whereas the figures between the 416 interchange and, well, anywhere further west, are higher. At both ends the volumes are lower - east of the 416 interchange (to the Quebec border) it's on the order of 17,000, whereas at the extreme west end it's typically over 20,000.

For reference, the AADT through the Toronto region goes as high as 400,000. Holy expletive deleted.

The data is there. You guys go ahead now and argue over the interpretation. :)

(Keep in mind that traffic volume includes trucks and buses.)

Thanks to both of you! This MTO dataset of annual average daily traffic on Hwy 401 in 2010 is amazingly detailed! Your and my tax dollars of 2010 worked hard to assemble it all, which is even more impressive since they aren't yet done working on publishing the data for 2011, 2012 and 2013. :)

To "mine" your nice data a bit further and also for just a bit of quick fun with a spreadsheet, I've extracted and visualized below a geographically linear sequence (from Windsor to the Quebec border) of the average daily traffic volumes reported for each of the 167 "segments" of Hwy 401. I can spot a couple of interesting and obvious features about Hwy 401 traffic from this, which complements what you already noted:

(1) Looking at the step decreases in daily traffic volumes on the 401 beyond London westwards and beyond the 401/416 split eastwards, there's obviously a lot of intra-Ontario traffic between those 2 reference points. For example, daily volumes are:
(a) over 100,000 between Kitchener/Cambridge and Oshawa, and
(b) over 200,000 between jct 410/403 and Ajax.

(2) Meantime, at only about 20,000, traffic is much tamer at each end towards the Ontario borders (i.e. Windsor to London and 410/416 split to Cornwall and Montreal).

Though we still can't distinguish and exclude trucks and buses:
(a) most 401 traffic (even outside Toronto) is between 2 intra-Ontario end-points, and
(b) beyond the Kitchener-Oshawa core, traffic is much less on the Windsor-London and Brockville-Montreal stretches and is about the same at each end. Maybe this nicely reflects that -yay- Montreal is as important as Michigan to Ontarians' road travels -- and we all do know about the daily westbound Toronto trucking that carries the daily loads of city garbage out to Michigan. :)

PS: There's an interesting step decrease in volume at the 401/403 split, matching the idea that the London-Hamilton-Niagara route along the 401-403-QEW over into NY state is indeed well used, as jpreiner pointed out. Buffalo and Syracuse, NY, should then be key future targets for Tesla SCs to connect Toronto and the 401 corridor (all completed in 2014, yes?) eastwards to the US and the US east coast, via the existing SC in Albany. Just saw that Tesla already has red dots for both of them on their "2014" map.

Hwy 401 Traffic 2010.png

Attachments

• Hwy 401 Traffic 2010.jpg
    Hwy 401 Traffic 2010.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 399
I need to drive Montreal - Toronto return on Aug 29th. Given that it doesn't look great for even a Cornwall SC, Is my best bet to perhaps do a one hour stop in Cornwall at the Best Western there and another hour at the Best Western in Kingston? I could time it to have lunch in Kingston but how are these two locations for letting you charge if you are not staying at their hotel? What other options are available. Also, for any Toronto folks, I do not see too many charging stations downtown (around city hall). What options are available for top up or overnight charging in Downtown Toronto?

I need to drive Montreal - Toronto return on Aug 29th. Given that it doesn't look great for even a Cornwall SC, Is my best bet to perhaps do a one hour stop in Cornwall at the Best Western there and another hour at the Best Western in Kingston? I could time it to have lunch in Kingston but how are these two locations for letting you charge if you are not staying at their hotel? What other options are available. Also, for any Toronto folks, I do not see too many charging stations downtown (around city hall). What options are available for top up or overnight charging in Downtown Toronto?

Both the Kingston and Cornwall Best Westerns are fine with letting you use their charging stations if you're eating at their restaurants. I'd call ahead to confirm. Cornwall is the better location, the station is accessible from 2 or 3 spaces which makes it less likely to be ICE'd. Kingston is hit & miss. Other options are Shannonville or Cobourg Best Western.

Your best option for overnight charging in downtown Toronto is Brookfield Place, they have seven 30A stations accessible from 14 parking spots, so pretty much guaranteed to be open. The bank buildings also have stations in their parking garages, but generally only 1-2 spots each.

Both the Kingston and Cornwall Best Westerns are fine with letting you use their charging stations if you're eating at their restaurants. I'd call ahead to confirm. Cornwall is the better location, the station is accessible from 2 or 3 spaces which makes it less likely to be ICE'd. Kingston is hit & miss. Other options are Shannonville or Cobourg Best Western.

Your best option for overnight charging in downtown Toronto is Brookfield Place, they have seven 30A stations accessible from 14 parking spots, so pretty much guaranteed to be open. The bank buildings also have stations in their parking garages, but generally only 1-2 spots each.

Thanks. I will try those options

Stopped by the Fort/Fraser location in Hope, BC yesterday and the only sign of progress is that an underground utilities survey has been marked out. Green (sewage/drainage), blue (water), and yellow (gas) lines are painted on the pavement both within the parking lot and on the road ways immediately adjacent to the lot.

Having said that, local scuttlebutt is that a couple of sites were being considered, including one up on the old Hope-Princeton Highway.

View attachment 53778

In hope bc this is where the sc is going :)

Nearby; Tim Hortons , dq, blue moose coffee shop, nice park, movie theatre,

Kamloops site!

Was in Kamloops for the weekend for the Hot Nights in the City car show and a nice person thanked me in the most awesome way by telling me they just signed the paper work to put it at:

Kamloops Visitor Centre

1290 Trans-Canada Hwy

Kamloops, BC V2C 6R3
kamloops supercharger.png

Was in Kamloops for the weekend for the Hot Nights in the City car show and a nice person thanked me in the most awesome way by telling me they just signed the paper work to put it at:

Kamloops Visitor Centre

1290 Trans-Canada Hwy

Kamloops, BC V2C 6R3
View attachment 56142

Nice location!. Near Cinemas, 5 guys burger, original joes, ABC country restaurant, joeys seafood, comfort inn, aberdeen mall, milestone's. Lots of choices to rest. Thanks!

Kamloops Visitor Centre

Thanks for the info! I believe there is a 60A Sun Country Highway unit at this location already. A Supercharger will be a substantial improvement!

Just a question like that: what was the rationale for putting the SC in Drummondville? Why not in Québec city?

IMHO, Drummondville SC is too close to Cornwall (229 km)
and WAY to close to Montréal (103 KM)

Québec city would have been the winner with a 377 km from Cornwall... unless Québec city becomes a «coming soon 2014-15»

And I still don't understand why Montréal isn't even considered as a SC city... the Quartier 10/30 (crossing Highway 30 and Highway 10) would have been a PERFECT place to setup a SC...

http://goo.gl/maps/aBIhL

Last edited:
I think that would run counter to the primary objective of superchargers, which is to enable long distance travel between major centers. For the most part, sites aren't selected within major cities as there are plenty of available charging options and much less need for the additional range that supercharging is focused on.

Thats great news about the Kamloops SC! did they mention anything about the permitting process? Also I believe it's time to split this thread into East Coast/ West Coast or add a Canadian section under charging standards and infrastructure. Mods?
I managed to get the location after a bit of talking. Was first just told the paperwork to finalize it was just signed.

Thats great news about the Kamloops SC! did they mention anything about the permitting process? Also I believe it's time to split this thread into East Coast/ West Coast or add a Canadian section under charging standards and infrastructure. Mods?

I think I suggested this before so the suggestion to split into West Coast/East Coast (sadly there isn't much planned for the middle yet) has my vote. Its not that I'm not interested in overall Canadian Supercharger progress but for most of the Eastern locations, I barely know the places and the discussions have no meaning to me (or presumably anyone West of Ontario). I'm guessing the same is true in reverse and typically I scroll through all the Eastern location comments without reading them.

Or we can just unsticky this thread and let it die. Discussions about specific superchargers can be head in the relevant thread over in the Charging Infrastructure Subforum, or in the Canada section...

I think I suggested this before so the suggestion to split into West Coast/East Coast (sadly there isn't much planned for the middle yet) has my vote. Its not that I'm not interested in overall Canadian Supercharger progress but for most of the Eastern locations, I barely know the places and the discussions have no meaning to me (or presumably anyone West of Ontario). I'm guessing the same is true in reverse and typically I scroll through all the Eastern location comments without reading them.

Agreed. The eastern locations have no meaning to me. In my opinion, we should have a thread for each of west and east as opposed to a thread for each Supercharger.

Any recent news on the Hope Supercharger? I'm really looking forward to that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.