Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelled Y Reservation for S. Any disadvantages over MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I have been debating between a MS (long range) and MYP for quite some time and now that they dropped the price of the S I'm pretty sold. Besides the larger battery pack (longer charge time) and less cargo space, are there any other disadvantages of the Y over the long range S? I keep hearing that the Y has "newer technology" but is that just referring to the chassis and manufacturing parts, or are the electronics also a big improvement?

What was the price drop? I've been personally been looking at the Model S performance VS the Performance Model 3. I keep going back to the Model S, mainly for the performance advantage. Not sure how comfortable I'd be with the single screen considering we've been in an s and now an x for over 2-1/2 years. Yes, you will be getting older battery chemistry but the S has been tried and true for years now.

Reactions: Bixby MS
Slower supercharging
I don't know how much slower the charging really is when you look at a normal supercharging stop. Besides, other then road trips, will you truly be using the Superchargers that often? with the higher range, I believe you could make more time on a road trip then in the Model Y. Where are all these Youtube creators to test these theories??

Two very different vehicles. Much has to do with what car or cars you had previously, your current expectations, and your use case(s). If you came from a Honda, Toyota, 1 or 3 series, or even Model 3 then you will likely find the Y more than meets your expectations from a driving and passenger perspective. If you came from an S Class, 740, or the like, you might not appreciate the minimalism of the Y. The S seems like a higher level driving experience to me. I could see myself owning both an S and a Y, but not a Y instead of an S. The S is smoother, quieter, and more substantial, in my opinion. The Y is more utilitarian, minimalistic, and perhaps fits in the garage a bit better.

Last edited:
I own a Y and have demoed an S and a 3. The 3 and the Y seem more nimble in terms of handling due to their smaller size, the S felt a bit more like a big sedan (which, of course, it is). However, the S was definitely a smoother ride. Both are great, depends on what you want to maximize.

S is all the benefits of an SUV without actually having an SUV. Also negatives of a performance sedan like difficult entry and lower view. I love it but it is different.

S is a dream car to drive and super awesome for road trips. Very comfortable and charging stops are mostly in useful places (food, shopping, or exercise nearby) or something else interesting to do while you wait.

One thing I forgot, Y has a heart pump which is great for cold weather areas. Much more efficient than the ptc heater in the S.

Then again, S battery pack is bigger so it isn't an issue other than winter road trips when you've gotta stop more frequently.

Y has the new HVAC like the 3 which is pretty sweet.

Even with all that I can't fathom trading in my 3 year old S for a new shiny Y.

New S have Raven suspension which is awesome. Y doesn't have that.

You really can't go wrong, @Tech Dane.

Hello I endorse this thread 100%! Was having a lot of the same debate but some factors came together today including a local S in excatly the color/build I'd want, Carmax giving me a decent trade price today, and the big S price drop, AND because the S is on the lot it still comes with free supercharging. Was debating getting a Y (or 3) but screw it, I put the deposit on this beautiful red S moments ago!

I did want something a little more "luxury" and the giant range is nice too. Kept flipping between a lot of what's posted in this thread such as 1) by the time you load up a Y it's like 10k more for the S, 2) the S is roomy enough as the Y would have been, 3) price cut on S is very timely, 4) on the west coast so having an advanced heat (or heart) pump is really not a big benefit at all, 5) I'm coming out of a nice model BMW so I think a more refined car will be nice.

S and Y may be different vehicles but there are reasons to cross shop them. I did and after straining my brain over this for the last couple months I think the S is the right move now. The free supercharging and waning days of matching carmax are motivators to act now, the Y would look a lot more compelling if those factors weren't in play.

Hello I endorse this thread 100%! Was having a lot of the same debate but some factors came together today including a local S in excatly the color/build I'd want, Carmax giving me a decent trade price today, and the big S price drop, AND because the S is on the lot it still comes with free supercharging. Was debating getting a Y (or 3) but screw it, I put the deposit on this beautiful red S moments ago!

I did want something a little more "luxury" and the giant range is nice too. Kept flipping between a lot of what's posted in this thread such as 1) by the time you load up a Y it's like 10k more for the S, 2) the S is roomy enough as the Y would have been, 3) price cut on S is very timely, 4) on the west coast so having an advanced heat (or heart) pump is really not a big benefit at all, 5) I'm coming out of a nice model BMW so I think a more refined car will be nice.

S and Y may be different vehicles but there are reasons to cross shop them. I did and after straining my brain over this for the last couple months I think the S is the right move now. The free supercharging and waning days of matching carmax are motivators to act now, the Y would look a lot more compelling if those factors weren't in play.
Now the fun part... what to name the car...

Warranty is better on a Model S @ 8 years 150,000 miles for drive unit and battery regardless of Model for those produced after 1 Feb 2019 and unlimited miles for those built before 1 Feb 2019, also many of the used ones have free unlimited supercharging (FUSC)
Mode 3 & Y Standard Range is 8 years 100,000 miles.
Model 3 & Y Long Range and Performance is 8 years 120,000 miles

You don't have to be a beta tester for the Model 3 & Y, if you get the battle tested Model S, which has the bugs worked out.