Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't find a suitable CPO. Will you sell me your trade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fer cryin' out loud people, lighten up. You knew full well what the OP meant.
This is incorrect. Apparently you haven't been watching the "Tesla took punitive action against me" drama that flares up periodically. This sounded like another such case with the original title.

- - - Updated - - -

My 2013 P85+ was also an "demonstrator / executive car" according to the DMV disclosure. But everything I have read indicates you CANNOT take the $7500 Federal tax credit regardless even if the car was only registered, and not titled.
From Tesla, "Inventory" cars ("Demo" or otherwise) do qualify for the federal tax credit -- and it says so on the page you reach when you choose one from Hank's consolidator.

"CPO" OTOH does not.

This is incorrect. Apparently you haven't been watching the "Tesla took punitive action against me" drama that flares up periodically. This sounded like another such case with the original title.
Fair point, if going off the thread title alone. But reading the original post made it pretty obvious what he meant. But yes, new title is better.

My 2013 P85+ was also an "demonstrator / executive car" according to the DMV disclosure. But everything I have read indicates you CANNOT take the $7500 Federal tax credit regardless even if the car was only registered, and not titled.

"New" Demo Volt - Tax Credit

Electric Vehicle Tax Credits Can't Be Passed on
One question that occasionally pops up is just who gets to claim the tax credit in the case of low-mileage cars that dealerships sell after having used them as demonstrators or loaner cars.

There was quite a fuss early in the history of the plug-in hybrid Chevrolet Volt when it turned out that several dealerships had, for various reasons, registered new Volts in their own names. By doing so, they made the subsequent retail buyers ineligible for the car's $7,500 federal tax credit.
The answer in the Volt tax credit flap is pretty simple: Only the original registered owner of an eligible vehicle can claim the federal tax credit. Even if the original registered owner didn't apply for the credit for some reason, it cannot be passed along to a subsequent buyer.
In short: A used Chevrolet Volt is no longer eligible for the credit. Neither is any other used EV, plug-in hybrid or other type of vehicle that qualified for federal tax credits when it was new. This is useful to know, because it can be a bargaining point in a used-car purchase negotiation. It might turn out that a new model with the tax credit is a better deal than a used one if the federal tax credit program means the list price for the new model is reduced by up to $7,500.
"Registration" is misleading. It's titling that matters. Only the entity listed on the original title can claim the tax credit. If you bought the used car and got a title, the credit is gone. If you got the original Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin issued by Tesla, you should be able to claim the credit.

Buying a Tesla via a private seller might save a little money, normally due to more miles, however a CPO from Tesla will include a 4 year/50,000 mile pre-owned limited warranty. It is a big selling point for most people considering a pre-owned Tesla.

Check out: Tesla Inventory . You can filter by almost any option you want and, more importantly, by price. A quick search reveals 2 certified pre-owned S85 with 15-25k miles for under $64,000. Both have your required option of Smart Air Suspension and a few other options.

Thanks Erik

In chatting with Brent, while he would love to do a deal, but the PNW is out of his territory. He referred to:

Carol Vanetta – Seattle, Portland
Bellevue Based in: Bellevue, WA
Phone: 206-948-4453 (Cell)
Email:
[email protected]

Contact sales adviser directly, tell him the price and options you want.

[FONT=&amp]Brent Seavey | [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Owner Advisor[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]1200 Old Skokie Valley Rd | Highland Park, IL 60035
p 847-579-0028 | [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][email protected][/FONT]

- - - Updated - - -

I did not receive title (pink slip) when I bought the car. However, I don't know what Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin looks like either. Any example? What is odd about the transaction is that all the copies of the paperwork received makes the car look like it was a new inventory car, except the DMV form about demonstrator/executive car disclosure and odometer disclosure.

"Registration" is misleading. It's titling that matters. Only the entity listed on the original title can claim the tax credit. If you bought the used car and got a title, the credit is gone. If you got the original Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin issued by Tesla, you should be able to claim the credit.

I did not receive title (pink slip) when I bought the car. However, I don't know what Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin looks like either. Any example? What is odd about the transaction is that all the copies of the paperwork received makes the car look like it was a new inventory car, except the DMV form about demonstrator/executive car disclosure and odometer disclosure.
It looks a lot like a title, but says "Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin" across the top (or Statement of Origin). Did you buy the car from Tesla? Who registered it? If it was registered for you, you wouldn't have gotten the MCO or prior owner's title; it got surrendered when the car was registered

I don't the specifics of CA titles, but all titles I've seen have a "Prior title number" field. They are blank on a car's first title, and show the prior title # on subsequent owner's titles. Check your title.

The Volt issue you quoted is about sleezy Chevy dealers titling and registering Volts in the company's name so they can claim the credit, and then selling off the car as used. Presumably their used price+$7500 is greater than what they would sell it for new.

Thanks everyone for your help. Sorry to those who were mislead by the title, I was trying to be funny.

The original title should have been: "I should have bought before the great purge and now I am sad."

Hopefully new CPOs get added to inventory shortly!

Yes, I purchased from Tesla direct and took delivery at their Fremont delivery center.

However, what I believe Tesla is doing is repurchasing cars out of their Colorado delivery centers and "importing" them for re-sale as that state is the only one that is giving tax credits for pre-owned EV. The credit is $6000 which is very high compared to $2500 in California which only applies to new EV.

According to a Colorado electric-car advocate who asked to remain anonymous, a Colorado resident can claim that credit on any electric caricon1.png whose Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) hasn't previously been submitted to the program.
That means that, in theory, a Colorado resident could travel to California to buy a 2013 Tesla Model S from Illinois that had been registered there for three years--the time required to claim that state's electric-car purchase rebate.
Our source says that the buyer could then truck it to Colorado, register it as a used car, and legally claim that state's tax credit on the year's tax return. I believe that is what happened with my car since the car was originally registered in Orland Park, IL on 11/22/13. Tile #X3326855025. Tesla Colorado Delivery Center purchased the car on of after 11/22/13 (3 year requirement), claimed the $6K credit and that is why they are able to sell a P85+ with only 16K miles for $63.9K.

Colorado's Electric-Car Credit: Applies To Used Cars Too

It looks a lot like a title, but says "Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin" across the top (or Statement of Origin). Did you buy the car from Tesla? Who registered it? If it was registered for you, you wouldn't have gotten the MCO or prior owner's title; it got surrendered when the car was registered

I don't the specifics of CA titles, but all titles I've seen have a "Prior title number" field. They are blank on a car's first title, and show the prior title # on subsequent owner's titles. Check your title.

The Volt issue you quoted is about sleezy Chevy dealers titling and registering Volts in the company's name so they can claim the credit, and then selling off the car as used. Presumably their used price+$7500 is greater than what they would sell it for new.

Thanks everyone for your help. Sorry to those who were mislead by the title, I was trying to be funny.

The original title should have been: "I should have bought before the great purge and now I am sad."

Hehe. Now that's a funny title!

I hope you find yourself behind the wheel of a Tesla soon.

Unless you are desperate to get a car in a week or two, just wait and the prices and the inventory should return to what it once was. The purge might even end up working to your favor where you perhaps end up with a D model or better equipped car for the same amount you were looking to spend earlier.

New CPOs will most certainly be added to the inventory.