Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't turn off auto wipers or high beams? [on autopilot]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You haven't "paid for radar". You bought a car that had the necessary hardware to run Autopilot and FSD. Your car still has the hardware necessary to run Autopilot and FSD, it's just that the software now doesn't need/use the radar.

The auto wipers have always had issues in some situations. I guess you were not using them before. The vision stack isn't different, it's just that it needs those auto wipers to make sure it sees well in all situations. You are in a very fringe case with the insects and you would have ended up just as blinded prior to vision. I suspect other cars with auto wipers would have wiped as well in that case, and smeared everything too.

The auto high beams are so vision has the best chance of seeing everything far away. I believe you can turn them off but you have to do it every time you activate autopilot, something like that, as they default to on each time.

Not great but once you understand how things work and why they do what they do, it's a bit easier.

Last edited:
You haven't "paid for radar". You bought a car that had the necessary hardware to run Autopilot and FSD. Your car still has the hardware necessary to run Autopilot and FSD, it's just that the software not doesn't need/use the radar.

The auto wipers have always had issues in some situations. I guess you were not using them before. The vision stack isn't different, it's just that it needs those auto wipers to make sure it sees well in all situations. You are in a very fringe case with the insects and you would have ended up just as blinded prior to vision. I suspect other cars with auto wipers would have wiped as well in that case, and smeared everything too.

The auto high beams are so vision has the best chance of seeing everything far away. I believe you can turn them off but you have to do it everry time you activate autopilot, something like that, as they default to on each time.

Not great but once you understand how things work and why they do what they do, it's a bit easier.
I have paid for what that's installed in my car including the radar. With respect, don't try to tell me I don't own it. You've been drinking the Musk Coolaide if you're willing to give up, roll over and accept a private company has the right to dictate to you, I and everyone else what we do or don't own after we buy it.

It's not better when you lose the ability to use hardware that you actually own. In effect those of us with radar and can't use it now even though we own it. Replacing it with image processing? This is in my opinion just stupid. It's a work around for a lack of radar due to shortages a while back and now it's a cost cutting measure. Don't be shocked they bring radar back one day or heaven forbid for the money they now want, lidar.

Yes auto wipers that goes nuts that never happened before because I the actual living breathing human responsible if I'm in an accident controlled them fully, not the car. It also now likes to brake full fcuking force when doing 60 mph for no reason what so ever. I had minor phantom braking before now it's all or nothing.

Auto high beams are irrelevant if they didn't turn off the radar. This is stupidity, I for one would like to keep using my radar and control over my high beams and wipers. I do not appreciate being forced into this mess.

Things worked better before they tried to streamline us all into one pile of easier for them to manage $hit.

You don't have the right car if you don't accept / appreciate getting over the air updates with new features and changes. Not all of them are perfect but by having a Tesla, you somewhat have to accept this. Vision is supposed to be an upgrade on what we had before. They are a bit optimistic in their abilities but one can hope that eventually it does get better. The V11 UI was supposed to be an upgrade too :) . I cannot say that I like all of them, sometimes I find changes bad just like you.

You don't have the right car if you don't accept / appreciate getting over the air updates with new features and changes. Not all of them are perfect but by having a Tesla, you somewhat have to accept this. Vision is supposed to be an upgrade on what we had before. They are a bit optimistic in their abilities but one can hope that eventually it does get better. The V11 UI was supposed to be an upgrade too :) . I cannot say that I like all of them, sometimes I find changes bad just like you.
Tesla vision and removing $$ radar units from supply chain issue ridden Continental was an upgrade. But not to the consumer... Tesla's P&L instead...

Reactions: PerBB and Jclboston
Look closely at various other pieces of information, including Elon, saying that the current radar introduced more error than it helped. A very high precision radar would help, but not the one currently installed. If this is true then it's not just a cost thing... I can't say for sure, just relaying information.

If it's the same radar, great, our cars are already equipped with it. What I suspect is that this will be a higher-precision radar unit as Elon alluded to. In such a case, our cars will require an upgrade. H4 probably has a new computer as well so in any case, we'd need an upgrade...

No, I don't accept losing features and being happy about it. I bought a car not an iPhone

Look closely at various other pieces of information, including Elon, saying that the current radar introduced more error than it helped. A very high precision radar would help, but not the one currently installed. If this is true then it's not just a cost thing... I can't say for sure, just relaying information.
I can't see how a piece of equipment that can detect objects ahead of it is worse than image processing 2D? I find it hard to believe it's suddenly junk and we don't need it yet we paid for it

Breaking news: Elon Musk will disable the front motor via software as the rear motor is enough to keep the car moving forward.

It's too much a hassle to maintain a code that manage two motors running at different speed, especially in the Texas snow.

It will be packed in the next Christmas update for your enjoyment.

Since you said "Breaking News" and put it on the internet, it must be true...

Reactions: PerBB
Did you read what you typed before you hit post replay. Software upgrades are one thing but when they disable hardware that you own that's a very different thing, v11 wasn't great but at least they didn't disable my ability to move the mirrors or don't we own those either.

If it's the same radar, great, our cars are already equipped with it. What I suspect is that this will be a higher-precision radar unit as Elon alluded to. In such a case, our cars will require an upgrade. H4 probably has a new computer as well so in any case, we'd need an upgrade...
If that's true I'm not at all shocked when the government comes after them or a class action lawsuit. Yes let's disable the radar then tell them radar is junk then sell them new radar. Sounds a lot like lets slow down iPhones, tell them it's for their own good and sell them newer "faster" phones. I am beyond pissed at this update. What's next, are they going to disable my ability to connect my phone, adjust my seat or mirrors? There isn't any way I can accept this at all, they did it to streamline their updates and I'm sorry for those without radar but vision is junk on it's own it needs more sensors.

If that's true I'm not at all shocked when the government comes after them or a class action lawsuit. Yes let's disable the radar then tell them radar is junk then sell them new radar. Sounds a lot like lets slow down iPhones, tell them it's for their own good and sell them newer "faster" phones. I am beyond pissed at this update. What's next, are they going to disable my ability to connect my phone, adjust my seat or mirrors? There isn't any way I can accept this at all, they did it to streamline their updates and I'm sorry for those without radar but vision is junk on it's own it needs more sensors.

Our radar cars lost their ability to see under the car in front with the vision update. For those sudden slow downs on the highway I can't imagine vision being as safe as before with less time to react.

Tesla made me love EV and hate OTA. Since I bought the car in 2020, I have not had a single update that introduces something really meaningful - only downgrades. This thing with disabling perfectly working radar reminds me of the V11 fiasco when one morning I had to drive with open windows in freezing temperature because I couldn’t find the defrost button (even though I had Sonic the Hedgehog). Only this is worse because it actually disables functionality that was a major part of my purchase decision. If the trend continues I would not be surprised if they actually disable a motor as someone jokingly suggested above.
I came to realize that OTA is not a benefit; it is a liability. I would love for them to leave my “legacy” car be and not force those updates on me.
The whole Tesla Vision thing is a total BS. Optical ranging was a big deal _before_ the invention of radio detection and ranging (radar) 80 years ago. How something that forces you to use high beams, windshield wipers, reduces the top speed and following distance is better?! At what point the product becomes substantially different from what I bought? Is that “bait and switch”?
I love my cars but they are also a tool. I have a life and I cannot worry every 6 months what other BS they have in store for me. I am waiting for Audi, BMW, MB, etc. to come up with 400mi model and then I am done with Tesla. Unfortunately, given the current environment, that will take a while so I hope that the great EV company does not force me back to ICE (there are people on this forum who actually do that). Tesla makes great EV but there are only so many times they could get distracted with ergonomics, FSD, AI, etc. before someone else pushes them aside. Meanwhile, I am glad we have NHTSA, DMV, etc.

Don't tell me the older hardware still uses radar and they turned ours off? What a pack of b@stards. It's crap like this is why I won't use Apple's products and Tesla is going the same way.
The old hardware does not have enough cameras. Not that more cameras gives them the ability to really replace the radar but gives them enough to pull off this BS.
If range is not an issue there are alternatives from more mature manufacturers. Given Tesla record things will only get worse, not better.

Last edited:
Which.... makes perfect sense if it's a vision only system. Car knows when it needs a wipe to see.
The car doesn't know $hite, wipers full speed ahead clear skies, phantom braking while on the highway (never had it bad like that before). My car has radar and any cars with radar need to be able to use it. I can't see the car ahead of mine anymore in traffic because no radar and vision sees things like a 90 year old without glas