Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case you think you’re having a bad day with your Y.
CB204B93-A7AD-4425-BE13-6E6C7F9007B7.jpeg

Yeah I saw this today and was wondering how an OTA would fix this issue?
They have to have some electro-mechanical way to dissipate unwanted energy. If software fails to control it properly, it might be fixable over the OTA or software update in general, but if it is a hardware engineering design flaw, then the Mach-E is basically screwed big time. This same issue started to be reported by US owners of the Mach-E too. So it is NOT an issue of "a very small number of vehicles" as Ford tries to sell to the Norwegian press.

Here:

Sure thing... a simply better car than the Model Y... ha ... ha ... ha ..... 😿

Last edited:
They have to have some electro-mechanical way to dissipate unwanted energy. If software fails to control it properly, it might be fixable over the OTA or software update in general, but if it is a hardware engineering design flaw, then the Mach-E is basically screwed big time. This same issue started to be reported by US owners of the Mach-E too. So it is NOT an issue of "a very small number of vehicles" as Ford tries to sell to the Norwegian press.
😿
Since it uses regen first when braking according to what I read over there, maybe it's just a matter of them backing off on regen in favor of the disc brakes. That's assuming they can easily accomplish that if it's their 'fix'.

Since it uses regen first when braking according to what I read over there, maybe it's just a matter of them backing off on regen in favor of the disc brakes. That's assuming they can easily accomplish that if it's their 'fix'.
That's what I thought... but they need to have enough sensors to control temperature of the coolant, batteries, etc. to accurately manage the load. If they simply reduce energy recuperation then they will lose range, and they might be losing the range even driving on a flat road. It will be interesting to see how their software fix will affect the range ....

but wait... the Mach-E does not show its rated range! ... what? o_O

It does get points for that, from me and basically everyone else, including C&D. But as I said, the gap is closing and will continue to close because CCS will expand dramatically due its adoption by every other mfg. A diminishing advantage is not a great reason to buy inferior hardware in the long run.
Maybe over the next ten years a CCS network will be on par with Tesla’s network. That’s basically the life of a car. I will get a Tesla for now, and unless something drastically changes I will probably get a Tesla later.

Interior design is so subjective that it is impossible to say one is better than the other, what what I will say is once Tesla put a huge screen in their cars, the legacy automakers soon followed.

Personally I love the model y interior and wouldn’t change anything about, but it’s just an opinion.

Objectively, the Tesla has better tech, verified by Munro. The Tesla has better range, the Tesla has a better charging network.

Your point is “but not for long”, that’s fine, been hearing that for a while.....

Oooof. Finally got around to watching this video. Some valid points, some very nitpicky stuff, and some gaping holes. Here is how I would compare Ford's CoPilot360 to Tesla's Autopilot from a driver comfort and convenience standpoint. This is based on my own extensive experience with the MME and more limited experience playing with stuff in a buddy's MY. Correct me if I get anything wrong or if you think I'm leaving anything out....
1. Both have adaptive cruise control which works just fine. However, Tesla's is currently capped at 80mph with the newest update, and can't go more than 5mph over the posted speed limit based upon sign recognition (can you turn that off?!). Advantage Ford.
2. Tesla will let you go "hand's free" for longer before the torque sensor nags you - about 30 second compared to about 10 seconds. Also, Ford's torque sensor seems a bit more sensitive - it sometimes nags me when my hand is resting on the wheel. But Tesla will actually start to throttle the car after too many strikes - not so for Ford. Pick your poison.
3. Autopilot will recognize and slow you down on highway exits. Ford doesn't have that. Advantage Tesla.
4. Both have lane keeping functionality. Ford's "Lane Centering" works well. So does Tesla's "Autosteer" (but good lord, Tesla, what's the with the over-hyped nomenclature?)
5. Neither have automatic or assisted lane changing. But with Ford, activating a turn signal temporarily suspends the Lane Centering function (adaptive cruise remains on) and then it automatically re-engages once you are in the new lane. With Tesla, the AP switches off when you use your turn signal, and you have to turn it back on. Big Advantage Ford (also, that's a pretty dumb oversight on Tesla's part).
6. Ford's CP360 includes both a 360 camera and cross-traffic awareness sensors. Tesla has neither. Big advantage Ford.
7. Ford will offer "Blue Cruise" hands-free driving on pre-mapped highways by end of 2021 ($600 for those who already bought their cars - baked into an increased price for everyone else). Ain't no hand's free driving for Tesla - not even in "Full Self Driving." Advantage Ford.

Overall, I'd say the driver assistance features offered by Ford are superior to Tesla's AP. And I can confirm that the Ford stuff works really well. And again, this is an evaluation based upon driver comfort and convenience. So if you want to chime in with something along the lines of "well, I'm glad my Autopilot imposes more limitation because it makes me safer", m-kay, go with that.
Oooof, finally got around reading this review.

I've had CoPilot360+ on a rental Ford Edge for +5000mi and have a 2017 Model X with FSD
  1. Adaptive cruise control works fine, up until you end up in a traffic jam. Twice, the Edge forgot there was a car ahead and started to accelerate. Smooth sailing with Tesla's Autopilot.
  2. Tesla allows 15" nowadays in Europe. Ford Edge wasn't having any of it, you always needed hands on the wheel. And the torque sensor started to always require pressure applied to it, so once you released the wheel, the car would swerve because the pressure on the wheel was gone.
  3. Autopilot NoA is nice. Not perfect, but nice.
  4. Lane keeping in the CoPilot360 is good as long as the road goes reasonably straight. Any slight bends and the system gives up. An interruption in the road markings, and the system gives up. It doesn't even notify you if it gives up, you just keep going straight while the road curves.
  5. Ford doesn't have any lane changing, but indeed you don't get the double Tesla ding dong when pulling through autopilot, and reactivating autopilot in the other line, if NoA doesn't work as desired. But sometimes, because of the tiny display in the Edge, you had no clue if CoPilot360+ had reengaged.
  6. True on the Ford 360º view and traffic awareness
  7. I'm curious how Blue Cruise will hold up. In effect, it's the same promise as GM'S SuperCruise, including only available on selected, premapped highways. Compare that to Tesla's Autopilot that doesn't have those limits. It's a bit like the best camera is the one you have with you: what good is the best (promised) autonomous lane keeping system if you can only use it on selected roads?
Which brings me to another point: CoPilot360+ was pretty much useless on normal roads and you had to go out to highways to enjoy it. Compare this to autopilot which I use pretty much on any road with lane markings...

I think Ford has solved the problem with going done hills.

SSM 69420 - Mach-E bricks after going downhill.

Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles may experience a dead vehicle after going down a hill.

Fix

Please have the customers avoid hills. In car navigation will be updated to address this concern and hills will no longer be able to plan routes on.

END SSM

These problems are all so absurd. I always think the legacy OEMs know what they're doing and then stuff like this stuff comes out.

How did Ford not catch this during testing? Did they know and release it hoping they'd come up with a fix?

I go up and down mountains all the time so I regen a lot. I'm glad I'm not dealing with this in the MY.

I think Ford has solved the problem with going done hills.

SSM 69420 - Mach-E bricks after going downhill.

Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles may experience a dead vehicle after going down a hill.

Fix

Please have the customers avoid hills. In car navigation will be updated to address this concern and hills will no longer be able to plan routes on.

END SSM

These problems are all so absurd. I always think the legacy OEMs know what they're doing and then stuff like this stuff comes out.

How did Ford not catch this during testing? Did they know and release it hoping they'd come up with a fix?

I go up and down mountains all the time so I regen a lot. I'm glad I'm not dealing with this in the MY.
I have 19 M3 and it has a battery that had no newer mechanical expansion compensators ... so on long downhills when the battery is actively charging I hear loud booms of the heat-induced battery expansion (Tesla can, but doesn't want to fix it despite they have a TSB on it). Anyway, these loud pops are exactly the same as when the car is supercharging. Now I wonder if some charging problems of the Mach-E and its inability to fast charge above 80% have the same root cause as the downhill regeneration problem. If true, the Mach-E may become a remarkable screw up in Ford's history.

Ive listed them several times in this thread, including the first post.
So things of your personal preference and your taste for design makes it a better car. Otherwise industry wide its basically been proven that while the Mach E is a great first entry into the marketplace, its pretty much subpar to the Model Y in every way other than the size of the battery pack (which hasn't really been proven in terms of degradation or reliability since its been under a year).

To my other post, you are a troll. You are relying on articles, and posting articles that have a clear slant and constantly ignore posts that challenge you with pretty shallow responses save for a few. You align the Mach-E right with the Y.

I read your post and got a mach e test car, drove around Sacramento and only got 1 of 4 EA chargers to successfully charge the car. At multiple locations I tried 2+ stations to get it to go. So again, EA and the Mach E are no where close in my experience. If i'm taking a trip with my wife, toddler and dogs going to a charger for 10-15 minutes to get my car from 30-80 on a V3 is already a stretch. Can you imagine being stuck with a Mach-E and having to juggle my text experience in a real world scenario?

Again I like the Mach-E, I would've considered one if the issues arising were less, and if there was anything resembling a reliable charging infrastructure. The extra 6-8KW in the pack mean nothing to me if I have to hunt for a working charger. I hope you enjoy your car, but it's not tribalism you're finding here. Its sensibility from a customer base who has a solid understanding of EV's. Most here are open and excited about new EV's. You're finding friction because of how you post and your inability to form a good sensible argument other than personal taste.

I have 19 M3 and it has a battery that had no newer mechanical expansion compensators ... so on long downhills when the battery is actively charging I hear loud booms of the heat-induced battery expansion (Tesla can, but doesn't want to fix it despite they have a TSB on it).
Just out of curiosity, what is Tesla's reasoning for not wanting to take care of your problem?

I get the same popping in my 20 MY when I'm driving up mountains. The first time I thought I kicked-up a rock and checked for damage after I got to the top.

It's summer and my battery still gets cold enough from regening that I lose max power after long descents.

Hopefully Ford's battery problem isn't as bad as GM's problems with their Bolt. That seems to get worse as time goes by.

I have 19 M3 and it has a battery that had no newer mechanical expansion compensators ... so on long downhills when the battery is actively charging I hear loud booms of the heat-induced battery expansion (Tesla can, but doesn't want to fix it despite they have a TSB on it). Anyway, these loud pops are exactly the same as when the car is supercharging. Now I wonder if some charging problems of the Mach-E and its inability to fast charge above 80% have the same root cause as the downhill regeneration problem. If true, the Mach-E may become a remarkable screw up in Ford's history.

I get the same popping in my 20 MY when I'm driving up mountains. The first time I thought I kicked-up a rock and checked for damage after I got to the top.

It's summer and my battery still gets cold enough from regening that I lose max power after long descents.

Hopefully Ford's battery problem isn't as bad as GM's problems with their Bolt. That seems to get worse as time goes by.
This used to happen in my M3 driving over 17 between San Jose and Santa Cruz. They looked it over multiple times and basically landed on the conclusion that the battery was heating up and causing pops on the sheet metal. From my understanding there is no long term damage or anything from it. However I believe they've started addressing it in production now.