Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny how the big publication reviews rant and rave about Blue Cruise when it's not even able to effectively compete with basic Autopilot. It should come for free with the Mach-E. Then as they add other features, they can charge for them.

I'm not confident in Ford putting out the effort to get this right though. They've got the resources, but they don't seem to have the necessary leadership. The bean counters are who's running that company. Look how slow they're moving with fixing the Mach-E issues (and there are many). And their SSMs are a joke. OTA updates? No one seems to know what their current updates do.

How can anyone read through the posts on the FAN forum and still want to own that POS? Mach-e Forum
It's crazy how much variety in issues they have. This one is especially embarrassing. Apparently you can't even sit in the car for long without it locking you out of the drive.

and I'm freaking stuck in Park and can't turn dial back to Drive mode! Look up to see dreaded but familiar "Key not detected" message so I'm frantically tapping Start buttons, quitting/relaunching FordPass, setting new Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra (Android 11) in charge bay that often strangely speeds up detection. Some 10 teachers all waving me on. Couple cars behind me start honking. Both kids sinking low into the back seat embarrassed. Had to wait what seemed forever for backup password to finally kick in while cars are now driving over curb around me.

Tesla now has BOTH NHSTA & FTC -- "An estimated 212,500 vehicle fires caused 560 civilian deathsi 1,500 civilian injuries; and $1.9 billion in direct property damage in the US during 2018." https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/...nd-reports/US-Fire-Problem/osvehiclefires.pdf side note: 2018 no Tesla fires reported

and the same day Congress asks FTC Senators urge FTC to investigate Tesla 'Autopilot' marketing - Roll Call

Day after Tesla AI day ??

The government is here to help. Just NOT US company like Tesla. What is FUD ? and how do they do that?

Pay to play. It's been like that forever.

I don't think Elon and Tesla do much of any political donations. They might not be hiring a lot of ex-government folks and their families, either.

Tesla now has BOTH NHSTA & FTC -- "An estimated 212,500 vehicle fires caused 560 civilian deathsi 1,500 civilian injuries; and $1.9 billion in direct property damage in the US during 2018." https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/...nd-reports/US-Fire-Problem/osvehiclefires.pdf side note: 2018 no Tesla fires reported

and the same day Congress asks FTC Senators urge FTC to investigate Tesla 'Autopilot' marketing - Roll Call

Day after Tesla AI day ??

The government is here to help. Just NOT US company like Tesla. What is FUD ? and how do they do that?

Pay to play. The media will hide or ignore problems for their advertisers and make up garbage on competitors at the behest of those same advertisers.

Tesla famously doesn't pay for advertising.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...s-to-overheating-due-to-regen-use-165378.html

Only a few Mustang Mach e in Norway see above for a few details. Simply tow to the dealer for a fix (how long?)

Reactions: Nakk
Well, it's official. The Mach-e GT Performance edition is a turd and comes nowhere close to Ford's advertised 0-60 times. Needless to say, it's no threat to the Y Performance. My GT Performance Edition (GTPE) first track launch with videos, timeslip! 0-60 in 4.12s, 1/4 mile in 12.567 @ 100.02 mph What's funny, is that the driver is actually thrilled, LOL.
That's not too bad to be fair but it's priced at Model Y Performance level so it kind of yea, sucks. A LR with boost is faster and a bit cheaper. Oh well, not much to see there....

Looking at that low trap vs 0-60, the thing must lose a ton of efficiency at speed.

Last edited:
Well, it's official. The Mach-e GT Performance edition is a turd and comes nowhere close to Ford's advertised 0-60 times. Needless to say, it's no threat to the Y Performance. My GT Performance Edition (GTPE) first track launch with videos, timeslip! 0-60 in 4.12s, 1/4 mile in 12.567 @ 100.02 mph What's funny, is that the driver is actually thrilled, LOL.
You beat me to it. There might be an issue that caused the low trap speed, but even so, the hype around the supposed 3.5 0-60 just goes to show all these major publications are bought and paid for. I knew they straight up lied about the 0-60 after seeing what the AWD Mach-E actually ran compared to the claimed times. Even if you omit the 1ft rollout, the numbers don't add up. But, there will be more tests. I can't wait to see the numbers for the GT. They were claiming 3.8. I bet it's more like 4.4-4.5. I think even non-boosed Model Y AWD would give these guys a hard time.

Reactions: 30seconds

"At our test track, the Model Y Performance snapped off a brisk 3.6-second run to 60 mph and sailed through the quarter-mile in 12.1 seconds at 113 mph."

There are obviously some track times from others in the Y at 11.9s or so

Long range car - "0-60 in 4.1s , Keep the pedal on the metal, and it'll finish a quarter-mile in 12.4 seconds at 114.8 mph"

They are pretty happy because those are still good numbers for a performance CUV, even if it's a ways off from a MYP.

They are pretty happy because those are still good numbers for a performance CUV, even if it's a ways off from a MYP.
You mean those are pretty good numbers for a station wagon I think. (The Mach-e is a station wagon; it says so right on the window sticker.) Anyways, not at all what was promised or paid for. Given all of the problems the Mach-e has, I'd at least want the performance that Ford is still advertising. Sorry, but you would have to be a real fan boy to be satisfied spending that kind of money for a "GT Performance Edition" which is supposed to beat the Model Y-P and have it be no faster than a Model Y LR. That's what I find funny.

I just priced out a Mach-E GT PE and it was about 70k before the tax incentive. A non-FSD MY-P is about 3k cheaper after their tax incentive is applied and you get what I would consider a much better all around vehicle that you can trust AND is as fast or faster than claimed. You also get basic Autopilot which is demonstrably superior to 'Blue Cruise', so adding FSD to this equation isn't apples and apples. And whatever electronic doodads they may have extra don't seem to work right anyway.

Reactions: RobDickinson
I just priced out a Mach-E GT PE and it was about 70k before the tax incentive. A non-FSD MY-P is about 3k cheaper after their tax incentive is applied and you get what I would consider a much better all around vehicle that you can trust AND is as fast or faster than claimed. You also get basic Autopilot which is demonstrably superior to 'Blue Cruise', so adding FSD to this equation isn't apples and apples. And whatever electronic doodads they may have extra don't seem to work right anyway.
I think it's an even worse proposition because the GT is most likely a direct competitor to the LR with AB.

Reactions: john5520