Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
250 RT. If neither one will reliably make it, the Tesla is a better option because there is a Tesla super charger across the street from where I go. I don't road trip much, probably one or two a year (200+ miles one way). The big thing is how long EV engines last, I have 100k miles on my 4 year old car, and that was without driving much during quarantine. I end up spending about $600 a month in gas plus average about $50 in maintenance where a Tesla with incentives/trade in will be about $400 month in payments and probably minimal electricity charges (I have solar at home and produce more than double what I use in a day usually). I read that Tesla engines last 300k+ miles and have little to no maintenance so that's a huge plus for me. If the cost just breaks even, it will be worth the time saving of going to Costco 3-4 times a week plus doing maintenance almost every month.
Tesla motors (not engines, technically) are known to last for a long time. If they fail, it usually happens rather early in the car's life and covered by the warranty. I've heard some people are changing batteries after 200k+ miles, but motors can last longer. It also looks like replacing a motor or a battery on EV basically restores it (Tesla, at least) to a near-new state; I guess it is because less heat is dissipated around, there are fewer moving parts. What you should get prepared for, and I believe it will be true for any EV, Tesla or Mach-E, that you may need to replace tires more often. Instant torque produces instant tire damage. I am at 23k now and ready to replace tires on my Model 3 later this year, probably before reaching 30k. And this seems to be normal. On the bright side, in 2 years I've only visited the service center once this year to fix a seat sensor connector under warranty.

Reactions: GSP and Viv1984
Tesla motors (not engines, technically) are known to last for a long time. If they fail, it usually happens rather early in the car's life and covered by the warranty. I've heard some people are changing batteries after 200k+ miles, but motors can last longer. It also looks like replacing a motor or a battery on EV basically restores it (Tesla, at least) to a near-new state; I guess it is because less heat is dissipated around, there are fewer moving parts. What you should get prepared for, and I believe it will be true for any EV, Tesla or Mach-E, that you may need to replace tires more often. Instant torque produces instant tire damage. I am at 23k now and ready to replace tires on my Model 3 later this year, probably before reaching 30k. And this seems to be normal. On the bright side, in 2 years I've only visited the service center once this year to fix a seat sensor connector under warranty.

I've had really bad luck I guess with my Maxima... I've replaced tires 3 or 4 times already and I'm at 100k miles. Even replacing every 25k miles would be less than what I spend on maintenance on my car.

• Informative
Reactions: alexgr
Wow. Car & Driver did not mince words in this head to head matchup.

The simple truth is that the MY came to market a year earlier, allowing Ford to take aim and level it. The MME is a better value, better looking, better built, smoother driving, easier to operate, and quieter car.

Really the only material reasons to buy a Y are if you like the Tesla software/minimalist ecosystem, you want to pay $10k to be a “full self driving” (it’s not, and it’s many years away, but it’s further along than Ford) guinea pig, or if you plan to road trip so much that need the superior convenience of the supercharger network (a gap that is closing thanks to all other mfgs adopting CCS).

This is the way of things. Competition continually improves. The Mach E wins this segment. We’ll see what the future holds.
Not sure if the Mach E is better or not but Car & Driver is a magazine supported by advertisement.
Something Tesla doesn't pay for and Ford spent $2.8 Billion on in 2020

I do not currently own a Tesla. I was an original reservation holder for a MY ($2500 Deposit) and also had a MX ordered that Tesla screwed up royally (twice). After we saw the QC issues with the MY - and after 2 separate 24 hour test drives - we opted for another EV. That's called speaking from experience.

How about you - do you own a MME or are you just criticizing the MME without actually owning one? Just curious.
You belong to a forum called TESLA Motors Club and don't own a Tesla?
You own another EV, dislike Teslas and are here posting.
Wow. That's pretty much the poster child of a troll

Sorry, I don’t understand what you are asking.

I don’t think I said Ford was going to increase OTA updates? I actually pointed out that the lack of updates thus far is one of the things that has been frustrating. That’s one of THE biggest concerns for the MME going forward

Sure! This question I understand. There is no “versus.” You ALWAYS have to keep your eyes on the road regardless of hands on, hands free, etc. I initially thought that “hands free” wouldn’t add much enjoyment and relaxation since you’ve gotta keep watching the road anyway. I was wrong. CP360 allowing me to go hands free for brief periods does demonstrate to me how much more comfortable it is to not have to grip a steering wheel.

Yes, an app is important. Which is why I brought up FP for criticism. I’m thinking you might not have understood me. Maybe something getting lost in translation.

Those things don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

They are direct competitors. And come on, you surely know that the “towing capacity” is a total joke? You can toss a bike rack on the back of either, but it you want to add a camper get ready for massive range loss such as to make it a foolish enterprise. Which could be why C&D didn’t mention it. It is at best a marketing gimmick.
Sorry let me be really clear: With direct comparison to the Model Y Tesla UX (screen and menus design/interaction) vs Ford did you find one having an advantage over the other. My POV is with EV powertrains being more closely matched-ergonomic studies have shown users will focus on other aspects more closely. So drive a Porsche Taycan and Model 3, floor the throttle from a stop, and they deliver the power very similarly and with similar NVH (noise vibration and harshness) characteristics. Do the same in a similarly priced Cadillac CT5 and a Porsche Panamera and NVH/power delivery will be very different. Which is a distraction and most drivers wouldn't think about the similar-if not superior GM UX. Remove the pronounced powertrain differences and some drivers will focus on other aspects of the vehicle more and those aspects will become more of a 'priority' in preference. UX according to data has been one of them. Did you prefer one to the other in terms of apps/menu organization-does it take you more presses of tabs to get to a desired screen vs the other? Do you have a preference for one vs the other?

Fair enough-re OTA updates.

Regarding just standard AP-I'm not sure what you are implying? Are you inferring that it requires you to have your hand on the steering wheel at all times when engaged? And if not, how much longer do you get to keep your hands off the steering wheel vs the Tesla?

I mentioned app support and the OTA updates, because as an unbiased POV, I would think to a % of buyers, these are very important aspects in ownership-when doing your 'big advantage Ford' comparison, I failed to see that kind of emphasis put on those seemly (somewhat by your own admission) important issues. My apologies for any mis-understanding on my part.

See above-IF customer data indicates that a larger number of potential and current customers (which JD Power pulls from, and OEMs pay millions of dollars for such data) prefer an easy to use and substantial charging network vs. handsfree driving, then I could make a more educated decision regarding what has a potential advantage vs. another. As the point of these car producing exercises is profit. Again, I can and will always side on data vs my personal preferences when evaluating a product. So I don't really care if a family sedan has supercar level pedal feel in its braking system-because it isn't important. So if said family sedan has that characteristic, but really poor ingress/egress for example in comparison. then its a poor family sedan with a great feeling brake pedal in my conclusion, because most customers will prefer easy of entry/exit then trying to emulate Max Verstappen in rush hour traffic.

Once again, data vs preferences. (=Profit) So one of my last programs was an EV SUV that one of the requirements was that it would be designed and rated for towing. Why? Well over thirty percent of buyers listed the ability to have a factory tow option as very important one to them as a buyer. It isn't on me to decide what is a 'joke' 'not important'-just as C/D made it a point to list a lack of towing ability in a product I know of in a comparison what, just over two years ago? Or maybe you can point out to me where C/D mentioned 'we aren't going to mention towing capacity in tests ever again, since we've conducted our own surveys and found that XX number of customers don't tow.' In the absence of that statement, this by definition is a omission based on the publications historical preferences. Just because something is a 'direct competitor' doesn't mean they couldn't occupy very different spaces in within the marketplace-with very little shared customer real estate. The Mach-e is perfectly positioned at the solidly 'sporty' end of the spectrum-which makes sense as the RWD proportions and sacrifice of cargo room vs the Model Y which is more homely in profile makes sense especially after the original ME internal concept which was a lot more...utilitarian. Regardless, that does in no way diminished what Ford has accomplished here. I won't get into your assuming what C/Ds methodology is here-other than you and I don't know.

Reactions: daktari
After trying different cars, I would say that the Tesla visualisation is just too much that is not needed. Especially on the 3, where it is so low and too the side, one can't really use it. And rear incoming traffic show up on the screen way to late to be of value.
For hands off FSD eventually it is nice.
A test drive is not enough seat time to get acclimatized to the on-screen positioning. Aside from the cars around, I like knowing it recognizes signs, pedestrians or cyclists when driving in certain areas. And when performing a lane change, it's helpful to see what lane was chosen. Or how it perceived a merge or very wide lane, etc. Cars in the rear aren't that important, IMO.

What can use some improvement is the blind spot collision alert system. It works well enough, but I think it can be tweaked to be a little more proactive. Also Tesla should add an alert for rear cross traffic. I don't see why it can't be done with the side and rear cams. Hopefully that's on the list.
The VW ID.4 is adequate:
- lanes; white or green (locked on)
- Car in front grey or blue (locked on)
- Bike/semi/cyclist also shown instead of car (cool but not really useful)
- Cars in blind zone are warned about in the side mirrors when they are in the blind zone.

You also see lane lines in the AR hud and also a virtual line on the end of the car in front, changes color depending on whether that car decelerate.
I checked out this Youtube video to get an idea of how it worked. Except for the way it flashes alerts taking up a third of the screen and it being a bit laggy when detecting vehicles in the other lanes, it's not bad. I especially like the virtual lines on the HUD when driving with lane assist. I could see this being useful in bad weather with low visibility. The other info like the current speed etc, not so much as they mimic the guage cluster sitting right below. I wonder if they can be turned off while leaving the virtual lines on?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_Iz0JJIISs&t=763s

Last edited:
Reactions: daktari
From the article:

Cruising at 75 mph, the Y can go 230 miles between plug-ins, and buyers have access to a second-to-none DC fast-charger network that gives this EV the legs to be someone's only car. But between Electrify America's growing charging network and the long-range EVs from Ford and Volkswagen, there's no longer a reason why Tesla should own this segment.

C/D went from not knowing if EVs were ready for prime time to having one on the cover in 12 months. The real ‘tell’ will be how long this ad stays on the front page for-over three days will be hilarious.

Probably nobody who's been followng this thread is going to be surprised by this...
I'm not sure who gets excited about their brand be voted best for any award. People speak with their wallets. I don't have exact sales numbers on hand but I believe the Model 3/Y recently out sold the Mach-E 10 to 1, or something silly like that. I suppose now a lot of people are going to return their cars to drive the winner of a magazine award to impress their friends about a meaningless award. Kudos Ford.

I'm not sure who gets excited about their brand be voted best for any award. People speak with their wallets. I don't have exact sales numbers on hand but I believe the Model 3/Y recently out sold the Mach-E 10 to 1, or something silly like that. I suppose now a lot of people are going to return their cars to drive the winner of a magazine award to impress their friends about a meaningless award. Kudos Ford.

I can't speak to the folks buying MYs over MMEs 10 to 1, or something silly like that. But I agree, kudos to Ford. More importantly, kudos to me for picking the best one. :)

Probably nobody who's been followng this thread is going to be surprised by this...

I like how the article avoids a [used-to-be-] typical refrain of the Mach-E being much more reliable than Tesla. Instead, they mention briefly the build quality of Ford. I think it should be a law that would require every award, every review article, to have a full disclosure of direct and indirect contributions by and relationships with the companies mentioned in the article (basically, a COI statement). The reason for this is for consumers to be able to distinguish information from advertisement.

If you read the MachEForum lately, you may get a feel that it is a half-baked car with a massive amount of serious issues including safety issues. Ford enthusiasts on the MachEForum start to alert potential buyers to the problems and suggesting they avoid purchasing the Mach-E. Note, that is on the Mach-E Forum that basically weeds out anybody potentially critical of Ford.

I wish that people who publish C/D are held personally legally responsible for not telling the customers the truth about the problems of the Mach-E.

From the article:

Cruising at 75 mph, the Y can go 230 miles between plug-ins, and buyers have access to a second-to-none DC fast-charger network that gives this EV the legs to be someone's only car. But between Electrify America's growing charging network and the long-range EVs from Ford and Volkswagen, there's no longer a reason why Tesla should own this segment.

C/D went from not knowing if EVs were ready for prime time to having one on the cover in 12 months. The real ‘tell’ will be how long this ad stays on the front page for-over three days will be hilarious.

At the same 75mph, C&D got 250 miles out of the Mach E. Better range, better price, better looks, better ride! But no heat pump. :(

At the same 75mph, C&D got 250 miles out of the Mach E. Better range, better price, better looks, better ride! But no heat pump. :(
I was actually referring to this particular quote

But between Electrify America's growing charging network and the long-range EVs from Ford and Volkswagen, there's no longer a reason why Tesla should own this segment.

Even my former colleagues in Dearborn admitted that this should’ve been edited out. EAs issues with charging is pretty well known and hasn’t moved much in 5 months.

Reactions: DblOSmith
I like how the article avoids a [used-to-be-] typical refrain of the Mach-E being much more reliable than Tesla. Instead, they mention briefly the build quality of Ford. I think it should be a law that would require every award, every review article, to have a full disclosure of direct and indirect contributions by and relationships with the companies mentioned in the article (basically, a COI statement). The reason for this is for consumers to be able to distinguish information from advertisement.

If you read the MachEForum lately, you may get a feel that it is a half-baked car with a massive amount of serious issues including safety issues. Ford enthusiasts on the MachEForum start to alert potential buyers to the problems and suggesting they avoid purchasing the Mach-E. Note, that is on the Mach-E Forum that basically weeds out anybody potentially critical of Ford.

I wish that people who publish C/D are held personally legally responsible for not telling the customers the truth about the problems of the Mach-E.
Meh it is the game. I remember one of my first projects at Ford was the Focus ST refresh. C/D and other media mentioned the lack of refinement of that car vs the GTI was the main reason it was a ‘winner’ in a comparisons. We sweated the **** out of the refresh-spent up on interior finishes to an exact match of the VW group, added noise reduction and improved the shift action.

C/D spent 70% of the article talking about the media test vehicles all season tires. Not a mention of the improvements that were so pointedly noted in the prior review.

So consumers looking for validation of their purchase from media who literally calls OEMs to ask questions about products that you could find out with a 3 second google search tells you a lot more about said consumer than media frankly. I for one am happy it’s more overt-it should help shift the focus away from such silly endeavors. Just drive and enjoy the things!

• Informative
Reactions: alexgr

Better range, but worst charging experience all around: slower and often frustrating. One of the most recent bugs I've seen reported was the Mach-e not releasing the charge cable for reasons not quite clear. Luckily, EA's tech support actually seems competent and was able to help. Ford had suggested a tow truck.

Apparently, there's a release buried somewhere under the frunk plastic covers which many owners seem unaware of and is a pain to get to.