Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

"We didn’t have the right spec levels, the GT was much more popular than we thought,"

"We couldn’t react. It was like, the marketing team could, but the industrial system that creates the physical product, and the software team—they didn’t like, get the memo of this demand."

So Jim just rolled with it, released an undeveloped car that didnt meet the marketing spec because demand for a fast suv was surprising.

Who put that idiot in charge of a car company?

I had this 'crazy' theory that Ford makes the Mach-E to discredit the EVs. It looks less crazy every day I read the Mach-E forum.
Luckily, they are far from the only player in town and are only shooting themselves in the foot with their first time customers. They're trying to use the same tired formula on their EVs: hype it, draw in the crowd, then half-ass it. It worked for years on the Ford faithful, but EVs are a different beast. They're expensive and the overall experience depend heavily on the quality of the software and hardware design. So even the Ford faithful are coming in with higher expectations especially when they're being compared to the competition.

I just read Ford hired away Doug Field (who worked for Tesla and Apple) and are talking about investing 29 billion in EVs and AVs. So, on paper, they are serious. I guess it is an acknowledgement that their current software and design are pretty much crap which is a good first step.

[...]

I just read Ford hired away Doug Field (who worked for Tesla and Apple) and are talking about investing 29 billion in EVs and AVs. So, on paper, they are serious. I guess it is an acknowledgement that their current software and design are pretty much crap which is a good first step.
My impression is that Ford is serious about EVs. I think that the problem instead is that their basic EV technology is still at least a couple of steps behind Tesla's. The Mach E looks like it was a rushed job - to put a credible electric vehicle in their actual current sales line-up - and the problems are starting to show. Presumably they will learn something and iron out some of the problems with the upcoming electric F150.

Reactions: Hank42
It just bothers me that they (and other manufacturers) spent so much effort and money fighting the improvement in CAFE standards, mostly because they were making so much money selling huge dead-dinosaur guzzling monsters. Let's be honest: If they had had their way, there would be no EVs. Period. Now, even though they're late to the party they're trying to rewrite history and make it look like they're the reason EVs exist.

I don't want to have an irrational allegiance to one particular brand, but I wont forget history either

"Ford wins because they advertise big with us and basically pay our salaries."
Supercharger network.
A decade ahead of everyone else.
I can actually tweet at the freakin' owner of the company.
Their own ex engineers tell them, "drive a tesla and learn how it's supposed to be done."

Reactions: john5520 and db93
Now, even though they're late to the party they're trying to rewrite history and make it look like they're the reason EVs exist.
And they act like they're more American than Tesla when they've outsourced parts and labor for as far back as I can remember. They are just envious of and feel threatened by Tesla's success. And I agree, we would not have this big push for EVs this soon had it not been for Elon.

"Ford wins because they advertise big with us and basically pay our salaries."
Supercharger network.
A decade ahead of everyone else.
I can actually tweet at the freakin' owner of the company.
Their own ex engineers tell them, "drive a tesla and learn how it's supposed to be done."
Read the comments by the Ford faithful on any of their forums and you'll see why they are and will continue to remain a mediocre brand despite the popularity of some of their vehicles.

we would not have this big push for EVs this soon had it not been for Elon.
and Europe, probably.
Read the comments by the Ford faithful on any of their forums and you'll see why they are and will continue to remain a mediocre brand despite the popularity of some of their vehicles.
Tesla fans are ready to accept challenges when Ford/GM fans are happy to accept failure.

Mach-E GT is officially a turd, and Ford embargoes the reviews.
It is slower than the non-GT Mach-E to 1/4 mile, barely making it to 100 mph. This seems to be now reported by several owners.
Nevertheless, according to Ford the popularity of the Mach-E GT is through the roof. Am I missing something?
On the fans forum you can read all kinds of excuses. That's a revealing enjoyable read.

The excuses for the poor performance are an entertaining read for sure. I can't wait to see them lined up at a track with an MY-P. Even the MY LR (without boost) might take a GT in the quarter. I'd be very surprised if Ford does anything to improve their times, especially if it's a limitation with the battery or motors.

The excuses for the poor performance are an entertaining read for sure. I can't wait to see them lined up at a track with an MY-P. Even the MY LR (without boost) might take a GT in the quarter. I'd be very surprised if Ford does anything to improve their times, especially if it's a limitation with the battery or motors.
Ford calls their fastest EV a Mustang even though it gives it a CUV form factor. My guess is that this was done because they couldn't fit the battery under a coupe or sedan, and maybe because they generally discontinue sedans. Considering this, why should we compare the fastest Ford EV to the slowest Tesla Model? It would make sense to compare it to the fastest model in the same price range, which is the Model 3 Performance. ... just an opinion.

Their paint falls off
You cant open or close the doors
The gear selector doesnt work
The screens make a noise
The fans go crazy when charging
The windows break
PAAK is a disaster
Drive it down a hill you'll need a tow to a dealer
Different screens show different directions at the same time
The car has a random chance of just not working at all and needing a tow
Parts are not available for any repairs
The GT/PE can barely manage 100mph on a 1/4

I could go on but its these fools who dont want a model Y 'because of the build quality'