Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMH. Imagine getting stranded after updating the phone app. And their supposed backup password, the thing they often crow about, didn't work. Even with the Tesla outage, I was still able to get in my car and be on my way. In fact, I didn't even know there was an outage until after I got home.

Looks like Ford really angered someone at Car and Driver. This review is bang-on, I'm impressed:

I knew it! Edmunds, those liars have been stating that the Mach E PE nailed .99g on the skidpad and I just knew that was utter BS especially given its narrower tires. Hitting 1G is baller territory and purely about mechanical grip. Fancy magne whatever is not going to change the plot much. In that last Edmunds BS piece they did no measurements etc, so we were only left with that big .99g skidpad number. Now however since its been tested officially... 🤮🤣

The Mustang Mach-E GT’s acceleration results weren't the only disappointing factor in our test of a car wearing the GT badge. Our test car was equipped with Pirelli P Zero PZ4 Elect tires and magnetorheological dampers, but it recorded a not-great 0.92 g of lateral grip on the skidpad, 0.02 g off the Model Y Performance. And the GT Performance required 158 feet to stop from 70 mph, again just shy of the Model Y. But it did outbrake the Tesla from 100 mph.

Own 2 Mach-e's , both broken and undrivable. Not an uncommon story, more issues ever time I look, paak and the fordpass is a shitshow, the car is garbage yet they are still pointing the finger at tesla and claiming the ford dealer network is and advantage... These people had their car sat at the dealer doing nothing for weeks.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: I don't know how anyone can read that forum and still shell out the money for one (or two?).

At this point, any one of them can randomly shutdown and leave their owners stranded. And that's because Ford doesn't seem to know how to fix the major issues.

If I did not have confidence that Tesla could troubleshoot and fix any potential problem, I would not be driving one.

:oops:

"Anyways I am getting really tired of the issues with these cars. We spend nearly 140k on these and it’s been problem after problem met with barely any help."

Own 2 Mach-e's , both broken and undrivable. Not an uncommon story, more issues ever time I look, paak and the fordpass is a shitshow, the car is garbage yet they are still pointing the finger at tesla and claiming the ford dealer network is and advantage... These people had their car sat at the dealer doing nothing for weeks.

:oops:

"Anyways I am getting really tired of the issues with these cars. We spend nearly 140k on these and it’s been problem after problem met with barely any help.”
Wow that is a sad story. I was hoping for better with the Mach-e.

In that thread one person posted this: “My experience with EVs (have owned 3) has convinced me that I wouldn't switch to an all-EV household.”

My response is; I have owned two Teslas since 2014, no ICE cars for over seven years now. My S, X, and 3 never failed to get me to where I wanted to go. My Roadster failed me twice and required costly repairs.

Conclusion: Tesla knows how to improve their products over time, and now builds very reliable — though not yet perfect — vehicles.

The Ford dealer network is not an advantage for Ford EV owners. So while the Mach-e may have some nice features that the Y does not yet have, overall the Y is very likely a better ownership experience.

A big selling point on the MY was that it shared ~70% reuse from M3. They took the M3 and worked-out a lot of the known problems while adding upgrades like a heat-pump & Octovalve.

Production and sales numbers just from Shanghai is telling how Tesla has worked out most of the kinks while upgrading things constantly.

~53k production in Nov/21
~30k sales in Nov/21

Ford has a lot of work to do, including their dealer/service network. They're #1 on slapping ADMs onto their sales and that's about it. The media can declare Mach-e/F150E/etc. the next "Tesla-killer" all they want and it's not going to change reality.

Wow that is a sad story. I was hoping for better with the Mach-e.

In that thread one person posted this: “My experience with EVs (have owned 3) has convinced me that I wouldn't switch to an all-EV household.”

My response is; I have owned two Teslas since 2014, no ICE cars for over seven years now. My S, X, and 3 never failed to get me to where I wanted to go. My Roadster failed me twice and required costly repairs.

Conclusion: Tesla knows how to improve their products over time, and now builds very reliable — though not yet perfect — vehicles.

The Ford dealer network is not an advantage for Ford EV owners. So while the Mach-e may have some nice features that the Y does not yet have, overall the Y is very likely a better ownership experience.

Reactions: alexgr
Yep, their 'EV certified' dealers are the best:

• Informative
Reactions: mark95476
I am surprised with the frequent reports about how long Ford dealerships are taking with MME repairs, and how many dealerships - even certified EV dealerships - are essentially unequipped to deal with the MME. Granted, I have seen criticism of the timeliness of Tesla Service as well (although that has not been my own personal experience), but nothing quite like the reports I am seeing about Ford. Where is the Ford 'dealership advantage'?

I can somewhat forgive the timeliness issue given the parts shortage, but being certified to fix a car and not having the equipment when a customer shows up just proves the laughable effort Ford put into the launch of their first EV. And that's not taking into consideration the shortcuts they took with the EV itself.

Tesla's service reputation isn't perfect by any means, and I've read some of the horror stories, but they can't hold a candle to the incompetence on display by Ford and their network.

Reactions: MontyFloyd and SO16
This article is a little shocking and probably a huge blow to Ford in their own backyard.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Comes in Dead Last During Police Vehicle Test​

Ford Mustang Mach-E Comes in Dead Last During Police Vehicle Test

2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Cannot Easily Accomodate Police Equipment​

https://fordauthority.com/2021/12/2...-e-cannot-easily-accomodate-police-equipment/
Aside from an expected poor performance, the funny part is the low score that the Mach-E has received for Engine Compartment Accessibility. I wonder why isn't that score a 0 as no engine could be found on the EV.

This article is a little shocking and probably a huge blow to Ford in their own backyard.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Comes in Dead Last During Police Vehicle Test​

Ford Mustang Mach-E Comes in Dead Last During Police Vehicle Test
Have you all read the actual PDF?

The worse result is the lap times. This brings into focus the problem of power delivery especially in the context of acceleration. Individual acceleration runs with ample down time in between doesn't fully expose the Ford's limited power delivery, 5 seconds from stop and less from a roll. Given that we know that the Mach E has to actually stop in order to cool itself to reset it's 5 second limiter. In the case of a race track and doing laps, the car can doesn't have a chance cool itself thus the reality is that the Mach E can never deliver its full power beyond the initial acceleration.

We can see this in the Vehicle Dynamics Testing, aka lap times. Here are their notes on how they kept the SOC topped up between runs.

The MSP Precision Driving Unit and vehicle manufacturers have been in discussions regarding the testing of Battery Electric Vehicles for the past two years. All three manufacturers agreed that a charge time of 40 minutes on a level three charger between runs would show case the vehicle’s capabilities in a best-case scenario. The above chart shows the beginning battery state of charge, the fastest five lap times out of the eight timed laps, and the battery ending state of charge. A 47 Kw charger was used to refresh the vehicle’s state of charge between runs. It should be noted that these five fastest laps were completed in the order shown above and that performance continued to degrade as the state of charge declined and battery temperatures increased.

The Mache E is like the gift that keeps on giving, it just gets slower and slower!! Btw this correlates with the video of the Mach E PE at Lime Rock where thhe Ford can not remotely stay attached to any car ahead of it.

VDST.png

It's absolutely comical how many bloated SUVs are faster.