Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mach-E GT on the Autobahn:

Even a regular station wagon was able to pass it with no problems.
200 km/h maximum speed on Autobahn ist scheisse. I made it to 200 in Germany in a mundane 1992 Opel Vectra, and I was a slow one on the road. Who knew, that now, 30 years later, you need a Mustang GT at about $70 grands to beat that marvel of GM-Opel collaboration. EVERY German must see that video before placing an order with Ford!

You have to love all the software limiting on EVs. Power is not the only issue, they limit the stability, traction control, torque, top speed, etc. In the future if/when we are able to crack the tune and dial back in some of the driving fun your warranty will be void. Fun times.

Well I guess we now know about how long all the marketing dollars will help a major advertiser cover up a sub-standard product.

Or is it nicer if I say mislead customers during a product launch?

They had to come clean as the issues were becoming widely known. But yes, they absolutely mislead their enthusiast customers. The average Joe has no clue what 'trap speed' means.

🤣

Hpg-l-Car-and-Driver-01.jpg

Another Autobahn test. After the usual gushing over the interior and suspension, he took it out for the test drive:

He didn't mince words.
Wow, really shows how major the issue is. 100-200 km/h (62-124mph) takes a whopping 54 seconds, slower than even a 143 hp Up GTI. And that's when the car doesn't power limit before it reaches 200 (it did power limit in that video). And it's funny seeing a Skoda diesel walk the Mach-E during a successful 200km/h test.

As a sanity check, they also tested a M3P, and there were no such issues (100-200 km/h in 11.3 seconds, 200-250 19.2 seconds, top speed 262 km/h), so this is a Mach-E issue, not something to do with EVs in general (as some in the comments try to claim):

Reactions: cgell
Can you imagine the recall if this was Tesla. Instead, not a peep with tons of these reports over on the mme forum.

Unable to shift - Please stop Safely (A complete write up)
To be fair, Teslas spontaneously fail to operate too. The question is how often it happens which is unknown. The posters there surmised that it must be the 12v battery, but it should not be failing on a presumably new-newish car. That's a problem. Other than that... tow company fails.

If you want fail regarding the Mach-E, try the issues with their TC.

Can you imagine the recall if this was Tesla. Instead, not a peep with tons of these reports over on the mme forum.

Unable to shift - Please stop Safely (A complete write up)
Reading the account, I'm more scared that the tow companies refusing to tow an EV may extend to Teslas. It was reported widely in EV circles of the Mach E examples having batteries damaged because the tow driver didn't know where to hook the car.

As for the actual issue, if it's from a dead 12V that's not as big a deal, although it's unusual for a new car like that to have a dead 12V so soon.