Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't wake from app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After I made a service request in the app the other day, today I’ve had a text message from service asking for more details, specifically,

1. When did it stop working?
2. Any updates to car or phone?
3. Any error messages on the app?
4. Have you reinstalled the app?

so at least someone is thinking about it...

It would make sense that it is able to switch between using LTE and WiFi, as it must have a fall back for locations without an LTE signal from whatever provider Tesla use. Our location isn't at all unusual around here, it's almost normal for some of the villages to have either very poor, or non-existent, connectivity. It varies a lot with the provider, too, with all those using the higher frequency bands, like EE, being far and away the worst, and those still using the 800/900 MHz band, like O2 and Vodafone being slightly better. We were hoping that we'd get a signal as a part of the emergency services switch to using the mobile system, when they installed a new small mast at the end of the village, but have restricted it to ESN use only.

I thought the wake from deep sleep comm for the car was sent via sms from the tesla side? The app just initiates the send. Car switches over to cellular / wifi based on a metric once in up state.

Last edited:
I thought the wake from deep sleep comm for the car was sent via sms? Then it switches over to cellular / wifi based on a metric

All I know is that there's sod all mobile signal here, not enough to make a call or receive/send a text. We used to have to walk up the hill behind the house to receive texts to get 2FA codes, which got so annoying that we switched to a bank that uses a card reader instead.

The car has always woken up from the app until last Thursday morning, when I tried to wake it up, as I'd had a notification in the app that there was a software update available. The car wouldn't wake up, so I went out and started the update from the car. Later that day we were out, the car had been parked in the sun for a few hours and I tried to use the app to turn climate on to cool it down, ready for our return, but again the car refused to wake up. Since then, the behaviour has been consistent, refusing to wake up if asleep, both using the app on iOS and Android.

The API is unofficially documented here: Introduction so nothing to do with SMS, just a POST method API call

The API is unofficially documented here: Introduction so nothing to do with SMS, just a POST method API call

That call returns a response to be dealt with by the app but it'll also kick off another internal process at the endpoint which sends a wake sms to the vehicle.

Once the car enters the wake state it'll update the endpoint and the app will update based on how frequency checking online state.

That call returns a response to be dealt with by the app but it'll also kick off another internal process at the endpoint which sends a wake sms to the vehicle.

Once the car enters the wake state it'll update the endpoint and the app will update based on how frequency checking online state.
Maybe it's SIM and carrier related then. Might explain why it's only affecting some regions (but then again, not everyone seems to have the problem...).

This is not about software Version I have been on 32.5 for weeks and I have this issue.
As others have said if close enough to use bluetooth to unlock that fixes it.
I think this is mobile network related.
when you wake the car its OK. So when asleep it's loosing network connection. Yet the software has not changed.
Must be an issue with Teslas servers or with the mobile network they are using. If it's the network might explain why US not affected that we know of.

Like with the 16amp charging issue everyone needs to raise a service request so Tesla know how many people this is affecting.

Bit late to the party but only installed 2020.36.whatever today and unable to wake the car up from the app as well.

Only mildly annoying, at least they didn't break charging again this time... :rolleyes:
I am on 32.5 and I also have this. have been on it for weeks but this only started Thursday or Friday. Can't be software version related

I have all the API's set up to run individually and I can see that the wake up is just doing nothing. it is being received by the mothership which is responding with the vehicle state but it onward call to the car is obviously not getting though since the state just stays as "asleep".

Reactions: Roy W. and MrBadger
There was a new version of the android app on Thursday 17th, which is about when this happened but I cannot see how this is related since the car is not responding to the API wake up call from ANYWHERE not just the app. it's a bit of a co-incidence but I cannot see how it can be anything other than that?

App still dead as a dodo. This is p1ss poor. No Agile charging. No toys (Siri warm up the car).

Do you think they’re fending off an attack? Or fixing one that’s happened? Surely major upgrade would be communicated (ha ha!).

Can’t believe the news isn’t all over it.

Hi all - for the last few days I’ve had some issues with waking / opening the car. As follows:

• Both the Tesla and Stats apps (on iPhone) not waking up and connecting to my Model 3.
  • Walking up to open the car using my phone as the key it’s taken longer than usual to unlock the car. I have to attempt the door handle several times before it unlocks. Takes about 30 seconds, previously was instant.
  • When I’m in the car there is now a delay to the PIN code interface. Seems to have a lag now, previously I’d be able to enter the code straight away, now it seems to take 10 seconds before waking up and allowing me to enter the PIN code.
Anyone else seen similar? Any ideas how to fix.

Thanks.

Started another thread on this today then saw this one :) For the last few days I’ve had issues with waking / opening the car. As follows:
  • Both the Tesla and Stats apps (on iPhone) not waking up and connecting to my Model 3.
  • Walking up to open the car using my phone as the key it’s taken longer than usual to unlock the car. I have to attempt the door handle several times before it unlocks. Takes about 30 seconds, previously was instant.
  • When I’m in the car there is now a delay to the PIN code interface. Seems to have a lag now, previously I’d be able to enter the code straight away, now it seems to take 10 seconds before waking up and allowing me to enter the PIN code.

Does this affect people with apps like Teslafi/Teslamate/Stats etc more than those of us using just the Tesla one? (I do have the Remote for Tesla Watch app but that still links just as quickly as it has always done)

I have awoken the car using the Tesla app numerous times since Thursday morning (36.10) & it always works.

The one issue I do have however is a few seconds delay in being able to use the in car screen. That wasn't there before.

I have awoken the car using the app numerous times since Thursday morning (36.10) & it always works.

Do you know that your car is actually asleep to be woken. Are you using sentry mode?

One person I recall saying that they are having the problem whilst using sentry when you would expect the car to be awake. But thats the only one I have seen when someone specifically mentioned sentry. One swallow doesn't make a summer etc.

I'm going to turn on sentry and see if that makes a difference as it shouldn't allow the car to sleep. I'm looking at my USB media that is normally plugged in but I removed yesterday to test something. Hopefully sentry on does not require that to stay awake.

That would at least give a workaround for people needing it for charging etc.

Last edited:
I have raised a service request. It will never happen but it will force them to look into the issue seriously. Its the best way to get their attention. Can everyone affected do the same please. The more requests the more seriously they will take it

App still dead as a dodo. This is p1ss poor. No Agile charging. No toys (Siri warm up the car).

Do you think they’re fending off an attack? Or fixing one that’s happened? Surely major upgrade would be communicated (ha ha!).

Can’t believe the news isn’t all over it.
The 16amp charge bug nevrr made the news. It was uk only. No US threads on this we have seen so this may be the same. Raise a service request to get their attention.