Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't wake from app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

yes best practice agree

and no continuous data link required for 2g so comms still possible in areas of fluctuating / poor reception albeit up re-registration (slower/delayed as held by network)
also, devices in fluctuating signal & reregistering connection alert network so network held sms send immediately - only requires seconds of link up

yes near enough on the other comment, user stated lte but meant gsm

Last edited:
Given that WiFi can be configured to use less power than GSM, and given that my car has always seemed able to wake up until now without any mobile signal, and also given that I was assured by Tesla before purchase that the car would have full functionality without a mobile signal, as long as there was WiFi available, is it possible that there is also a wake up from WiFi capability?

My experience with being able to wake the car up whilst it's been parked on the drive for the past 10 months suggests it can, either that or it has some sort of astonishingly capable low noise front end that's able to pull a GSM signal out from below the noise floor. After all, it's possible to make calls and send and receive texts via WiFi with some phones and carriers, so it seems that the ability exists to do this.

I can absolutely positively assert that there is NO mobile signal here, not even GSM.

By way of background, when we were building this house the absence of a signal was a nuisance, as with no landline during the construction the only way to make calls was to walk about 1/4 mile up the hill behind the house, in order to get a weak signal that was just about OK for a voice call or text. Because of this, and whilst we still had scaffolding up, I researched which networks operated the nearest masts, found out which frequency band they used, and then purchased (an almost certainly illegal) repeater, 14dB gain yagi, a length of expensive low loss cable, an omni antenna for the ground level link and a bunch of N types. I already had a crimping tool to make up the cables.

The yagi was mounted on an additional scaffold pole, clamped to the top of the existing scaffold, and pointed towards the nearest mast working in the 800 MHz/900 MHz band, and was then fine tuned in position using the signal strength meter on the repeater. I could just about get 1 bar on the repeater, and that was just about enough to be able to make and receive calls on site. Once the house was finished I kept the repeater and re-fixed the antenna to a mast bolted to the end of the house, together with a DAB antenna (we can't get FM radio here either):

View attachment 590192

Unfortunately, this repeater system wouldn't work with the antenna mounted a few feet lower down, and neither will the DAB antenna receive a signal either, so these antennas are both just ornaments. We don't get terrestrial TV either, so just installed satellite instead.

If that antenna, with all that gain, mounted around 25ft above the area where the car is parked, cannot get any usable signal, then I'm absolutely certain the car cannot either, especially given that the car antenna inside the wing mirror doesn't seem to be a particularly sophisticated design.
Bloody hell! Where *do* you live?

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
Given that WiFi can be configured to use less power than GSM, and given that my car has always seemed able to wake up until now without any mobile signal, and also given that I was assured by Tesla before purchase that the car would have full functionality without a mobile signal, as long as there was WiFi available, is it possible that there is also a wake up from WiFi capability?

My experience with being able to wake the car up whilst it's been parked on the drive for the past 10 months suggests it can, either that or it has some sort of astonishingly capable low noise front end that's able to pull a GSM signal out from below the noise floor. After all, it's possible to make calls and send and receive texts via WiFi with some phones and carriers, so it seems that the ability exists to do this.
I recall there being a new software release a while back that significantly improved wake-up times, so perhaps there are now multiple ways. What I can say, 100% sure, is that the car is disconnected from my router when it's asleep. Given that, I can't see any way in which it could wake up via WiFi with the current software (2020.36.10).

Bloody hell! Where *do* you live?

Down at the bottom of a steep sided valley, next to a stream. We can't receive much in the way of terrestrial signals, although we can just about get Radio 4 LW on 198 kHz. We can't receive anything else, apart from satellite, so rely on broadband for pretty much everything. I've built a couple of internet radios to feed to room mounted speakers, plus we have a portable internet radio.

I knew that the lack of mobile connectivity might be a problem, which is why I confirmed with Tesla that the car would work OK with only a WiFi connection, before I bought it. Even that wasn't straightforward, though, as it seems that the WiFi antenna in the car mirror (same location as the mobile network antenna I believe) isn't great, and I needed to install an outdoor AP (a TP-LINK CPE510) in order to get a reliable connection (part of that is because our house has walls that are thick and fairly radio opaque).

As a work around, I've discovered that the key fob wakes the car reliably from inside the house. The procedure is to unlock the car with the fob, then lock the car with the fob. The car is then awake enough to respond to the app. This work around is OK when at home, but doesn't fix the problem we had on Thursday afternoon, when we were out and I wanted to cool the car down before we got in to drive home. There was a decent mobile signal, but the app still wouldn't wake the car up, and the fob will only work from a few metres away.

I recall there being a new software release a while back that significantly improved wake-up times, so perhaps there are now multiple ways. What I can say, 100% sure, is that the car is disconnected from my router when it's asleep. Given that, I can't see any way in which it could wake up via WiFi with the current software (2020.36.10).

Whether or not the car appears on the list of connected clients on the router seems to be random, from what I've seen. 90% of the time our router doesn't report the car as a connected client, but neither does it report our Roberts internet radio as connected either (in fact it never seems to report that as being connected). I've sat looking at the router "connected clients" page, trying to work out what's connected, and often things that are on all the time (like the RPi running Teslamate, or my Android tablet) don't show on the list. I've never worked out why this is, but it's an annoying feature when setting up something like a new RPi, and not being able to easily see what IP address it's acquired via DHCP. Angry IP scanner seems to work a little better than our Asus router at finding connected devices, but even that sometimes takes several scans to find some devices. It's one reason that all the stuff I've made that connects to the network, plus our network printer and my NAS, are configured with fixed IP addresses. At least that way I can quickly SSH into the things I need to access without messing about trying to find out if their IP has changed since last time.

confirmed with green also

Annotation-2020-09-20-171633.jpg

So the problem remains that my car has almost certainly never been able to receive any form of mobile network transmission whilst it's been parked here, but has been able to wake up from the app until about last Wednesday night. Something seems to have changed around that time that is preventing the car from waking up. Also, something has changed from around that time that is making the car stay awake a lot longer. When I woke it up earlier, using the key fob, to see if that worked as a way of getting the app to access the car, it has stayed awake since. It's now over an hour since I locked it up again, and usually it sleeps after ten to fifteen minutes.

Irrespective of the methods that will wake the car, something seems to have changed in its wake/sleep behaviour, and as that doesn't seem to be related to the software version, and seems to have some degree of regional variation, it seems a bit of a mystery as to what's causing it, doesn't it?

So the problem remains that my car has almost certainly never been able to receive any form of mobile network transmission whilst it's been parked here, but has been able to wake up from the app until about last Wednesday night. Something seems to have changed around that time that is preventing the car from waking up. Also, something has changed from around that time that is making the car stay awake a lot longer. When I woke it up earlier, using the key fob, to see if that worked as a way of getting the app to access the car, it has stayed awake since. It's now over an hour since I locked it up again, and usually it sleeps after ten to fifteen minutes.

Irrespective of the methods that will wake the car, something seems to have changed in its wake/sleep behaviour, and as that doesn't seem to be related to the software version, and seems to have some degree of regional variation, it seems a bit of a mystery as to what's causing it, doesn't it?
Sounds like the sms might be belt and braces and the lte api request should wake it anyway. It may also be true that if there is no GSM maybe the car does not drop the wifi connection but holds it open instead while the car is asleep?
P. S. Raise a service request. Everyone raise a service request. Bombard Tesla with service requests

Really? I thought all mobile networks offered sms/calls via Wi-Fi now!

Seems to depend on the contract. Vodafone told me that they weren't able to offer this when I asked them about it a while ago. My wife's contract is with O2, I think, and SMS over WiFi works on her phone. Both phones are the same model iPhone.

Sounds like the sms might be belt and braces and the lte api request should wake it anyway. It may also be true that if there is no GSM maybe the car does not drop the wifi connection but holds it open instead while the car is asleep?
P. S. Raise a service request. Everyone raise a service request. Bombard Tesla with service requests

I raised a service request yesterday, in the hope that the more who do this the more chance there is that Tesla might fix it. I have a service appointment booked for 15th October, but expect to be told that there's no need for it.

I tried that this afternoon, but the app was already stuck in the "waking up" thing, which it does as soon as I open it (on either Android or iOS). How did you manage to get the app to respond to the controls section when it is still trying to wake the car up?

I can get into the controls section whilst it's doing the "waking up" thing, but the app doesn't seem to respond to any of the buttons, like lock/unlock.

I have “serious” UniFi WiFi and there is no question that the M3 completely disconnects from WiFi when asleep. It is also possible, however, that in the complete absence of mobile signal the car decides to keep the WiFi connected instead (which would explain @Glan gluaisne scenario). However, it doesn’t explain how it could be limited to the U.K. only, whereas an SMS issue would.

I still tend to believe it is SMS or nothing, and that @Glan gluaisne car is secretly able to receive these messages in spite of living at the bottom of a very deep well, I mean valley.

Greetings for Spain.

I want you to know that we are suffering this same problem here. It affects many cars with MCU2, mine included (M3 LR AWD).

Also, I have *exactly* the same symptoms you described since last Wednesday. On late Friday, 2020.36.11 was aggresively pushed to many cars here, including mine. Once the installation finished, my car stayed awake during more than one hour, which is definitely an anomalous behaviour. Since then, the phantom drain has been increased. I think that this happens because my car awakes (by itself) more frequently, and stays awake longer. I have no third party parts, TeslaFi, etc. accessing my car.