Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't wake from app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s really odd. There doesn’t appear to be a common factor
The cars are different ages and models
The areas are spread around the country
The mobile signals go from good to non-existant.
If it were a data issue, one might put it down to being on different servers
Is there a chance that some sms lines are down or disrupted?

tried mine from my iPad just now car was asleep. Woke within 10 seconds
If the car roams on all UK networks. Which it might do if the Sim is Dutch, as appears to be the case (Dutch Netflix). Then it could be one specific UK mobile network?

Because sometimes a 2G connection is all you have. Then once it's awake it can connect to wifi

If you have 2G you also likely to have GPRS and so a data connection. Even if you don't, and are in that really narrow band where an SMS would deliver but GPRS not establish, the problem is far better resolved by leaving the Wifi connected. Our mobile phones follow this same pattern, push notifications wake the phones for sleep states and there is no SMS involved.

That works if, but only if, your phone is within bluetooth range of your car.

Thanks, I was puzzling over the reports by some that they'd been able to get unlock to wake the car from the app. I tried this a few times, both from iOS and Android, and had no luck, the controls section of the app was just greyed out, whilst it was trying to wake the car up.

If the car is woken up by some other means (in my case unlocking it using the fob works from some distance away) then the app connects OK. Using the fob as a work around is OK for preconditioning the car at home, but isn't a fix when you want to do this away from home and some distance from the car, as seems often to be the case.

If you have 2G you also likely to have GPRS and so a data connection. Even if you don't, and are in that really narrow band where an SMS would deliver but GPRS not establish, the problem is far better resolved by leaving the Wifi connected. Our mobile phones follow this same pattern, push notifications wake the phones for sleep states and there is no SMS involved.
It does not entirely make sense to me either, i'm just speculating. If it is true then maybe you have to look at it in the context of US mobile networks circa 2012 which was presumably when the system was designed? The biggest provider then wasn't even using GSM it was Verizon using CDMA so maybe it has something to do with that?

Hopefully Tesla is working on this with some urgency. It presents a definite inconvenience for things such as pre-conditioning the temperature of the car from a distance. But, more importantly, it could be a greater inconvenience. My wife does not like carrying the key card and relies on using her phone as the key. I always figured if her phone is lost or the battery goes flat in it, I can always unlock the car and trigger a remote start for her to get home. Now I suspect she would be stranded until I am able to get to her or get a key card to her. I can think of other possible problems that can come from this lack of connection when the car is sleeping but that wife scenario is enough to make me hope they get this resolved ASAP. I have raised a service request as well -- the more the merrier.

It does not entirely make sense to me either, i'm just speculating. If it is true then maybe you have to look at it in the context of US mobile networks circa 2012 which was presumably when the system was designed? The biggest provider then wasn't even using GSM it was Verizon using CDMA so maybe it has something to do with that?
I doubt it sends an sms, a wake up can be pretty quick, it also seems a clunky way of doing it, my guess is that it would normally send some sort of push notification. There are people that claim they have no signal whatsoever where they park, but when it was working the car would stay connected to wifi and be woken up that way.

I raised one on Friday. I have raised 2 software ones before and both times they called me within a day or two to discuss. Nothing yet this time though.
I raised one on Thursday I think, they asked me to give examples on Friday afternoon of times that I have tried to wake the car, which I did.

Hopefully Tesla is working on this with some urgency. It presents a definite inconvenience for things such as pre-conditioning the temperature of the car from a distance. But, more importantly, it could be a greater inconvenience. My wife does not like carrying the key card and relies on using her phone as the key. I always figured if her phone is lost or the battery goes flat in it, I can always unlock the car and trigger a remote start for her to get home. Now I suspect she would be stranded until I am able to get to her or get a key card to her. I can think of other possible problems that can come from this lack of connection when the car is sleeping but that wife scenario is enough to make me hope they get this resolved ASAP. I have raised a service request as well -- the more the merrier.
Preconditioning could be worked around, as long as your in bluetooth range you and unlock the car and it will wake the car up. The latter though wouldn't work, really a keycard should be carried, she could be somewhere with no signal and then you still won't be able to help. Does she not carry any credit/debit cards? I just keep mine in my wallet no problems.
Agreed they obviously need to sort it though, early suggestions seem to suggest it is an issue with Teslas LTE provider, which may provide a bit more difficult to resolve as it would then be out of there hands to some degree.

Mine seems to stay intermittently connected to WiFi, from what I can see. It often doesn't show if I scan that subnet for connected clients, but then we have other bits of WiFi connected kit, notably a Roberts internet radio, that also doesn't show as connected, even though it's clear that it is.

As above, the work around at home for preconditioning is to wake the car up some other way. The fob has much greater range than Bluetooth, it seems, and works from pretty much anywhere inside the house, so unlocking the car with that then allows the app to connect. Interestingly, doing that also caused the phone to connect as a key via Bluetooth, after the car had woken up, so perhaps the Bluetooth power gets increased when the car is awake (makes sense, it's probably using Bluetooth LE when asleep, and maybe can switch to the full power version when awake).

My wife does not like carrying the key card and relies on using her phone as the key. I always figured if her phone is lost or the battery goes flat in it, I can always unlock the car and trigger a remote start for her to get home. Now I suspect she would be stranded until I am able to get to her or get a key card to her.

Trying to physically open the car by pulling a door handle is normally is enough to wake the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jeeves
Is that actually enough to wake up LTE though? I opened the boot yesterday and was expecting that to be enough to wake the car for the app, but nope.

Same here. I opened the boot, thinking that would allow the Tesla button on the charge lead to open the charge port, but it doesn't. I needed to push a rear door handle to wake the car and get it to recognise the signal from the Tesla button.

I'm pretty sure the frunk is the same, in that it can be opened from the fob, like the boot, without waking the car up. The give away for me is that the mirrors only unfold when any door handle is pushed, not when the boot or frunk are opened (I have mirror fold on lock set).

Reactions: Roy W.
Same here. I opened the boot, thinking that would allow the Tesla button on the charge lead to open the charge port, but it doesn't. I needed to push a rear door handle to wake the car and get it to recognise the signal from the Tesla button.

I'm pretty sure the frunk is the same, in that it can be opened from the fob, like the boot, without waking the car up. The give away for me is that the mirrors only unfold when any door handle is pushed, not when the boot or frunk are opened (I have mirror fold on lock set).

I had my charge lead plugged in and car locked this morning.
Simply tried a long press of the "boot" on my fob and the charging status light came on.
Pressed the switch on the Tesla wall Charger plug and it released allowing me to unplug it.
Car was still locked, didn't touch the doors.
I thought from the outset that the fob might be the simplest reliable key to use, so far so good :)

FWIW, I've got 2020.36.10, no FSD, iOS 14. I was getting server errors when trying to use the Tesla app even when on 2020.32 and iOS 13. Just recently have had no problems with waking (using TeslaFi, ev.energy waking the car to charge,Ohme waking the car to charge, using the app). Have had some problems with the Ohme charge point not being able to log in to my Tesla account and defaulting to being a dumb charger but that too seems to have been intermittent and now less problematic.