Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't wake from app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thought has been going around in my head for the past day or two, and I asked the lady at the Bristol SC when she rang this morning, but she didn't know. Maybe it's like my wife's phone, as that sends and receives SMS texts via WiFi (mine doesn't, same phone, different provider).

Whether a provider allows SMS over WiFi seems to be really hard information to pin down. I know my iPhone can do it, as it's identical to my wife's phone, so I spent an hour or so yesterday trying to find which contracts included SMS over WiFi and which don't. The providers seem remarkably reluctant to make this information readily available, for some reason. I may just switch to O2, as we know that some of their contracts provide it here. The only two providers worth using locally are O2 or Vodafone, anyway, as they seem to have the best local coverage by a long way. I used to be with EE until we moved here, but EE's coverage around here was really poor, hence the switch to Vodafone.
I find it fascinating that Tesla would even be able to implement SMS over wifi, as it seems less than straightforward for the carriers to implement it.
The use of SMS certainly explains why waking the car seems extremely sluggish at times (problems with the mobile provider delivering the SMS in a timely fashion), and a lot more sluggish in recent months (before the not-waking-at-all problem).

No AT&T service at house, cannot wake up car in morning
From 2018 complaining about not having AT&T coverage at home and being unable to wake the car. So maybe SMS over wifi is a M3 thing, or a UK-specific thing? Or maybe a newer firmware since the above posting enabled SMS over wifi?
@Glan gluaisne once this gets resolved, I'd be really interested to see if you can remove the wifi configuration from your M3, wait for it to sleep, and once and for all prove that it is SMS over wifi and not that the M3 has a magical antenna that picks up the faintest signal when every other device you've ever tried has failed.
Assuming the signal is picked up yet so weak that a 3G connection is not possible (i.e. the SMS comes through and wakes up the car but the car is then unable to establish 3G to connect back to the mothership), how do we prove that the SMS came through?

This now explains why some of us haven't had the waking issue - I just checked in my car & it shows Netherlands as the provider

p5JOEX2.jpg

No AT&T service at house, cannot wake up car in morning
From 2018 complaining about not having AT&T coverage at home and being unable to wake the car. So maybe SMS over wifi is a M3 thing, or a UK-specific thing? Or maybe a newer firmware since the above posting enabled SMS over wifi?
@Glan gluaisne once this gets resolved, I'd be really interested to see if you can remove the wifi configuration from your M3, wait for it to sleep, and once and for all prove that it is SMS over wifi and not that the M3 has a magical antenna that picks up the faintest signal when every other device you've ever tried has failed.
Assuming the signal is picked up yet so weak that a 3G connection is not possible (i.e. the SMS comes through and wakes up the car but the car is then unable to establish 3G to connect back to the mothership), how do we prove that the SMS came through?

It's a real conundrum. There's definitely no usable signal here, hasn't been since we first started building the house here, and I've expended way too much time and money on trying to get one, using a pole mounted directional antenna and repeater system (which stopped working when we took the scaffolding down and the antenna ended up about ten feet lower).

Either the car can receive SMS over WiFi, as my wife's phone can, or it's somehow able to get a glimmer of a signal that I couldn't detect when I had a borrowed spectrum analyser here, back when I was playing around to try and determine what frequency repeater might work. There is a possibility that it may be able to connect via the new ESN microcell that EE installed at the end of the valley about a year ago, perhaps. The group of us down here that can't get a signal have been lobbying to try and get EE to allow public use of this mast, as we know that this has happened in other no signal areas where EE have installed ESN microcells. We've been told that the ESN mast will allow public connectivity for 999 calls, not something any of has yet tried, though!

I can't receive SMS messages on my phone here, even leaning outside an upstairs window, holding the phone high in the air. I tried this before switching banks, when our old bank (Santander) switched to using a texted code for online banking verification. It may be possible that there's some sort of deal between Tesla and EE that allows their wake up system to use the EE ESN masts, perhaps. Might explain what's going on, but I can't think of any way to check this theory out.

Reactions: Durzel
There are a few people on facebook groups that also suggest they have no LTE signal where they live, but they have been able to wake the car up previously. I have LTE where I live but the car always drops off wifi when it goes to sleep. It's possible that the waking could come over wifi, but it wouldn't explain how it is carrier linked so much, unless it is via sms over wifi like you say.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in how often the car wakes up on it's own and stays awake since the issue occurred? I'm not sure if it is because of the wake issue or because of the latest software update as both occurred around the same sort of time for me. Mine only ever use to wake up on it's own when it was scheduled to charge, now it seems to be waking up in the morning and stay awake for around a couple of hours. Today it work at 10.02 and went to sleep at 12.30, I know nothing is waking it up as it can't right now..

Just has a call from the Bristol SC. They are aware that there seems to be a problem with cars that have the Telefonica/Movistar eSIM, and are gathering evidence to try and determine what the issue is. I mentioned that others were having the same problem and was told that my car was the 25th that Bristol SC knew of with this problem.

I was asked to let all Model 3 owners know that Tesla would appreciate a service request from anyone that has this problem.

Also done.

There are a few people on facebook groups that also suggest they have no LTE signal where they live, but they have been able to wake the car up previously. I have LTE where I live but the car always drops off wifi when it goes to sleep. It's possible that the waking could come over wifi, but it wouldn't explain how it is carrier linked so much, unless it is via sms over wifi like you say.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in how often the car wakes up on it's own and stays awake since the issue occurred? I'm not sure if it is because of the wake issue or because of the latest software update as both occurred around the same sort of time for me. Mine only ever use to wake up on it's own when it was scheduled to charge, now it seems to be waking up in the morning and stay awake for around a couple of hours. Today it work at 10.02 and went to sleep at 12.30, I know nothing is waking it up as it can't right now..

Yes, mine is waking up, and staying awake, a lot longer since this started, often for as long as a couple of hours.

From what I can gather, SMS over WiFi is definitely more carrier-related than device related, given that my wife's iPhone can receive texts over WiFi (she's with O2) and my identical iPhone can't (on Vodafone).

If anyone knows of a definitive list of providers/contracts that include SMS over WIFi, and WiFi calling (WiFi calling doesn't necessarily mean that SMS over WiFi works, it seems), then I'd be grateful. We're very low users, often don't turn our phones on for days on end, so just need a cheap contract without any bells and whistles.

Yes, mine is waking up, and staying awake, a lot longer since this started, often for as long as a couple of hours.

From what I can gather, SMS over WiFi is definitely more carrier-related than device related, given that my wife's iPhone can receive texts over WiFi (she's with O2) and my identical iPhone can't (on Vodafone).

If anyone knows of a definitive list of providers/contracts that include SMS over WIFi, and WiFi calling (WiFi calling doesn't necessarily mean that SMS over WiFi works, it seems), then I'd be grateful. We're very low users, often don't turn our phones on for days on end, so just need a cheap contract without any bells and whistles.
EE 100% does both WiFi calling and sms. Easy enough to prove (buy a cheap PAYG SIM and test).

WiFi Calling

The car doesn’t use Wi-Fi when it’s asleep, I’m pretty certain of that. My car is parked under an outdoor wireless access point and I can see when it is connected etc. It is only ever connected when awake.

In order for waking to work when out and about it has to be using the SIM, in much the same way as your phone does, except that “asleep” in Tesla terms means more like the screen is off and it’s in low power mode.

The car doesn’t use Wi-Fi when it’s asleep, I’m pretty certain of that. My car is parked under an outdoor wireless access point and I can see when it is connected etc. It is only ever connected when awake.

In order for waking to work when out and about it has to be using the SIM, in much the same way as your phone does, except that “asleep” in Tesla terms means more like the screen is off and it’s in low power mode.
I think the argument for sms over WiFi would imply that if the car had no mobile connectivity as it fell asleep, it would opt to leave WiFi connected while asleep, but if it did have mobile connectivity then it wouldnt also keep the WiFi connected when sleeping. This is all 100% conjecture.

It's a real conundrum. There's definitely no usable signal here, hasn't been since we first started building the house here, and I've expended way too much time and money on trying to get one, using a pole mounted directional antenna and repeater system (which stopped working when we took the scaffolding down and the antenna ended up about ten feet lower).

Either the car can receive SMS over WiFi, as my wife's phone can, or it's somehow able to get a glimmer of a signal that I couldn't detect when I had a borrowed spectrum analyser here, back when I was playing around to try and determine what frequency repeater might work. There is a possibility that it may be able to connect via the new ESN microcell that EE installed at the end of the valley about a year ago, perhaps. The group of us down here that can't get a signal have been lobbying to try and get EE to allow public use of this mast, as we know that this has happened in other no signal areas where EE have installed ESN microcells. We've been told that the ESN mast will allow public connectivity for 999 calls, not something any of has yet tried, though!

I can't receive SMS messages on my phone here, even leaning outside an upstairs window, holding the phone high in the air. I tried this before switching banks, when our old bank (Santander) switched to using a texted code for online banking verification. It may be possible that there's some sort of deal between Tesla and EE that allows their wake up system to use the EE ESN masts, perhaps. Might explain what's going on, but I can't think of any way to check this theory out.
I'm 100% sure that the car disconnects from WiFi when it sleeps. I can see if from my router logs. So, I'm not convinced that SMS over WiFi can be an explanation (unless it's some UDP packet thing).

EE 100% does both WiFi calling and sms. Easy enough to prove (buy a cheap PAYG SIM and test).

WiFi Calling

Thanks, I was with EE before we moved here, and although their coverage seems very good across the country as a whole, around here it seems to be hit and miss, unfortunately, as is the coverage from 3. When building the house I used to make most of the calls in the car, driving to and from here and our old house, and when I was with EE there were lots of places where the calls would drop, due to holes in their coverage. This was why I switched to Vodafone. I think the EE problem around here is terrain related, as they use much higher frequencies than Vodafone and O2, and those frequencies don't give good coverage down in the dips.

I've just re-checked Mast Data to see if anything's changed and it doesn't seem to have. The local EE mast is still only operating at 1,800 MHz, with it's antennas arranged in sectors to give best coverage along the main road it's along side, which, unfortunately, is at about 90 degrees to our location. The nearest Vodafone mast is a bit further away, still operating at 900 MHz, so has much better terrain following ability. The O2 mast is co-located with the Vodafone mast, also operating at 900 MHz, so it looks very much as if our choice is still limited to either O2 or Vodafone. Pity, given the good deals that EE seem to offer.

I find it fascinating that Tesla would even be able to implement SMS over wifi, as it seems less than straightforward for the carriers to implement it.
The use of SMS certainly explains why waking the car seems extremely sluggish at times (problems with the mobile provider delivering the SMS in a timely fashion), and a lot more sluggish in recent months (before the not-waking-at-all problem).

It would seem to be a good way for Tesla to provide this service to people who live beyond the scope of normal mobile connectivity ...

Ironically, at times I wish there was a way in the app to get to service, account, lootbox pages etc without waking the car.

So do I!

Right now it's a PITA, as the app seems to partially lock up whilst it sits trying to wake the car up, and, unless I'm imagining it, it's taking a lot longer for the waking up bit to time out. I seem to remember that it used to time out within a couple of minutes if it didn't manage to wake the car before this problem started, now it seems to be over five minutes before it times out.