Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Catalysts, Due Diligence, and Market Timing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect uncertainty about the Gigafactory is the main reason the stock is not acting well. Panasonic has good reasons not to jointly do a battery factory with Tesla (or with any other EV makers).

No battery volume, no Model E volume, no good stock.

Why would Panasonic want to share all its battery IP and know-how with Tesla? Also, what if Samsung comes up with better battery technology in two years and Tesla wants to use Samsung instead. I don't blame Panasonic.

This is a wild guess: I also suspect there might have been some sort of communication problems between Tesla and Panasonic (Japanese culture in communications). When speaking with the Japanese they often say "yes, yes, yes" when what they mean is "no, no, no". They say "yes" often to not offend you. They say "yes" to mean "yes I understand what you just said". They don't mean "yes, we have a deal". They are very uncomfortable when they have to say "no" to you directly.

It's just culture. West and east. Different culture.

Perhaps that's why a few weeks ago Elon Musk sounded like Panasonic was about to commit to the Gigafactory. He and his management heard many "yes, yes, yes" over the past many months. But when it came to time to do the deal, Panasonic was a no show.

That's the negative.

The positive is Elon Musk.

Elon Musk has a track record of make if he cannot buy (at a reasonable price or if it's not available). He has done it over and over again with SpaceX and Tesla in the past 10 years. He will get the Gigafactory done one way or another. If not Panasonic, then with other partners. If no partners, then he will hire the necessary expertise. After all Tesla is a great company to work for if you are a battery expert.

When viewing those big rockets in SpaceX's factory last night on 60-Minutes, I said to myself that Elon Musk is capable of making the necessary batteries one way or another. This maybe a good thing in the long run because battery is the key to success. In a few years time Tesla may be producing the best batteries at the lowest cost. That would be ideal for TSLA stock in the long run.

Someone please correct me if my facts are incorrect, but I recall Elon was on his way to do battery research before he took a leave from Stanford's PhD program to do Internet startups.

Battery's cost, energy density, weight, volume, is the key. Elon is pretty determined to get it done. He will.

(note, Nissan has three battery factories of its own to supply the LEAF.)

- - - Updated - - -

Other positives:

In the short run (2014/2015/2016) I suspect worldwide underlying demand for the Model S and X is much higher than historical numbers show.

Tesla is production constrained (Fremont factory and battery supply), and distribution constrained.

Because of this, they will be able to manage numbers. I suspect it's possible Tesla will beat its guided quarterly numbers for each of the next 12 quarters (just like the iPhone did in its early years).

(They have the reservations list. They know in advance how many batteries are coming from Panasonic. They can manage how many cars the Fremont plant produces. Demand for cars is higher than supply. Gross margins should rise as volume ramps. Therefore they should be able to manage the numbers each quarter. That's the CFO and COO's job)

Last edited:
POTENTIAL CON

- China GM departure

I don't know the name of the China GM because he's almost silent in the past several months. I guess it was a sign he won't stay in his position for long. Instead China VP Veronica Wu gained a lot of publicity in the recent months. (if you search "veronica wu tesla" in google, you can find many fresh entries in the top). Here is also her linkedin link http://cn.linkedin.com/pub/veronica-wu/0/19a/232

My wild guess is Veronica will likely take the lead of Tesla China and Elon will announce this decision when he's in China probabaly from late this week after he finish his cross country family trip.

We also can't forget that TSLA is also severely oversold and still has a high short interest. TSLA is due for a reversal in trend and shorts will eventually have to cover.

I think I'd disagree with this statement if we examine it in isolation- these two items aren't going to cause tesla to move upward. These alone are not reasons that tesla will go up. It is oversold only if the trend continues as it's a StochRSI indicator that says oversold. On the normal RSI, it's not oversold at all. Second, there's plenty of cases where high short interest leads to lower prices (like when the price was 260 and the short interest was higher than now). Shorts need to panic for there to be a squeeze, otherwise they will just short more as it goes up.

If you add in some really good news, i'd agree that you've got the recipe for a strong move up. But I want to make the point that if you put a stock in front of me that had a low stochRSI and a high short interest, i wouldn't necessarily predict it would go up...

Last edited:
I think the first deliveries in China will give the stock a bit of a spark. I think he will take the opportunity to clear up delivery status, about when people can expect their vehicles, and in doing so give numbers about concrete reservations. Bought one ( unfortunately have no money do to 30% decline in my portfolio over last few months) ATM call for may.

I too think the official start of China deliveries and any news Elon may share regarding China will impact TSLA. If it is nothing more than handing over the first cars, the bump will be small and may be short lived. If he talks about specific plans on number of people hired, number of cities getting a store, schedule for SCs, number of Chinese preorders, etc, that may provide a bigger and longer boost.

However, we should be particularly paying attention to anything regarding Q1 guidance. Last time they used a motorshow to officially announce the number of cars delivered in Q4, as it was a significant beat and they were obliged to preannounce. If Elon stays quiet on this, that should tell us they may beat guidance, but not by as much as speculated on these forums. I'm hoping we'll get a nice little present for Easter, though. :) If they do announce a 10-15% beat on deliveries, that should put us back on track to North of 220.

I too think the official start of China deliveries and any news Elon may share regarding China will impact TSLA. If it is nothing more than handing over the first cars, the bump will be small and may be short lived. If he talks about specific plans on number of people hired, number of cities getting a store, schedule for SCs, number of Chinese preorders, etc, that may provide a bigger and longer boost.

However, we should be particularly paying attention to anything regarding Q1 guidance. Last time they used a motorshow to officially announce the number of cars delivered in Q4, as it was a significant beat and they were obliged to preannounce. If Elon stays quiet on this, that should tell us they may beat guidance, but not by as much as speculated on these forums. I'm hoping we'll get a nice little present for Easter, though. :) If they do announce a 10-15% beat on deliveries, that should put us back on track to North of 220.

Agreed, I forget who it was that pre-announced last time at the auto show, but it wasn't Elon, this would be a big deal if he pre-announces. Timing is a little off as well, he would be pre-announcing two weeks from earnings release.

Agreed, I forget who it was that pre-announced last time at the auto show, but it wasn't Elon, this would be a big deal if he pre-announces. Timing is a little off as well, he would be pre-announcing two weeks from earnings release.

It was Jerome Guillen who did the Detroid autoshow talk and pre-announced. I'm somewhat conflicted on the pre-announce this time myself as Tesla has already set the ER date and it's not that far, but they may release something China related that might boost the stock. Got a speculative 200-210 call spread for this week for a bit over $3 last Wednesday. Could have created it a day later for less, but oh well... ;)

It was Jerome Guillen who did the Detroid autoshow talk and pre-announced. I'm somewhat conflicted on the pre-announce this time myself as Tesla has already set the ER date and it's not that far, but they may release something China related that might boost the stock. Got a speculative 200-210 call spread for this week for a bit over $3 last Wednesday. Could have created it a day later for less, but oh well... ;)

isn't it way too late to pre-announce anything? I can't find the rules that govern that, if any. But it is usually 20 days early which is in line with the Detroit announcement.

isn't it way too late to pre-announce anything? I can't find the rules that govern that, if any. But it is usually 20 days early which is in line with the Detroit announcement.

It's Wikipedia - but it says the pre-announcements are "on average" 20 days before earnings.....by my count we are about 17. It would be nice timing if they said something tonight after the market close and then covered it tomorrow as Elon is delivering in China - that is mostly Hopium.

Market Timing

The local Shanghai government reserves 3 000 plates to be provided to Tesla owners for free, each one valued at $16 000.

I am convinced this will become a significant catalyst. At the time of this writing, I cannot find the story on the major newswires.

Market timing.............How long will it take?

I think we are all too short term focused. Whether tesla delivers 500 cars more will not mean much 2or three months from now. We need to be more concerned about other issues
1. Rate of currentproduction
2. Model x progress
3. China orders
4 next qtr guidance
5. Purpose new factory
6. Progress on gf, partners etc
these issues will have greater impact on price ultimately

Panasonic Brinkmanship?

Panasonic has released a couple of statements, I find contradictory in an albeit subtle manner.

Yoshio Ito has said that he is not convinced that 30% cost savings is sight. He has also stated that he does not believe any other battery manufacturers are participating. Yet they have signed a letter of intent.

Apparently he convinced he's the only belle at the ball. Is that true?