Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Caveat Emptor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you considering ordering an MX or MS, read carefully the threads in the User Interface forum. Not to dissuade you from making a purchase, we know you'll love driving your MS/MX, but so that you completely understand what you are buying.

The Tesla is a very advanced vehicle in many ways, and very very behind the state of the art in other ways. If you're coming from another luxury car (MB, Lexus, BMW, Porsche, Audi, etc.) you'll need to adjust your expectations in some areas, while finding that the Tesla exceeds your expectations in others.

Be an informed buyer, you'll be happier after you take delivery.

This topic has been discussed many times. Some Tesla owners who previously owned cars like the MB S-Class, BMW 7 series, Audi A8, or similar, are dissatisfied with the lack of bells and whistles features (my words, not theirs) and interior luxury touches. Others are not dissatisfied.

I came to Tesla from another "luxury car" (Porsche) and have owned a Lexus 400 (many years ago). Nothing about the Tesla UI disappoints me in comparison to those cars. The Tesla UI is not perfect and certainly can be improved in some areas. But I personally find it quite amazing and wonderful to use, especially considering that Tesla has not been designing and building cars for very long and obviously nothing like the many decades that other car manufacturers have (or the over a century that MB has).

For those of you considering ordering an MX or MS, read carefully the threads in the User Interface forum. Not to dissuade you from making a purchase, we know you'll love driving your MS/MX, but so that you completely understand what you are buying.

The Tesla is a very advanced vehicle in many ways, and very very behind the state of the art in other ways. If you're coming from another luxury car (MB, Lexus, BMW, Porsche, Audi, etc.) you'll need to adjust your expectations in some areas, while finding that the Tesla exceeds your expectations in others.

Be an informed buyer, you'll be happier after you take delivery.
I would agree totally. There are features that are light years ahead and some that could have easily been included that were not. E.g. Auto headlights not on my car.....WTF? Advertised in online manual but not a selection. Now this is SUCH A BASIC FEATURE it was on my 10 year old BMW!!!! One would not THINK to even ask about it. Yet in the incar manual (only) it says it is a future feature

Many other things such as voice control of features (......"seat heaters on", ...."wipers low"), pandora itegration... the list goes on

It is a different type of car than others at this price point and not for everyone. I think the % of people who say they would buy it again speaks volumes. It will be interesting to see as Teslas gain a wider audience if this hold true. Early adapters may be better informed than most and willing to accept the compromises than those who consider their car an appliance.
The other thing is to be a Tesla owner is to know disappointment due to quick technological advances. P85 owners felt it with the P85D. I felt it when the P90D and ludicrous mode eclipsed my 3 month old ride. Then a face lift, then the 100. Next may be an interior or exterior revamp or lighter more efficient batteries. Progress marches on so as many on hear have said, buy the best you can afford right now and enjoy.

The only thing that really concerns me is that my Ipad has much better response times than the onboard screen, seems so slow and very annoying quite frankly as I like my devices to be snappy. At least in the 2013-14 car I rented before deciding to order mine.
It's not a deal breaker but disappointing nonetheless.

It is a different type of car than others at this price point and not for everyone. I think the % of people who say they would buy it again speaks volumes. It will be interesting to see as Teslas gain a wider audience if this hold true. Early adapters may be better informed than most and willing to accept the compromises than those who consider their car an appliance.
The other thing is to be a Tesla owner is to know disappointment due to quick technological advances. P85 owners felt it with the P85D. I felt it when the P90D and ludicrous mode eclipsed my 3 month old ride. Then a face lift, then the 100. Next may be an interior or exterior revamp or lighter more efficient batteries. Progress marches on so as many on hear have said, buy the best you can afford right now and enjoy.

I agree. I am expecting delivery late december but I'd be really ticked off if Tesla made a huge exterior change anytime soon.

I agree. I am expecting delivery late december but I'd be really ticked off if Tesla made a huge exterior change anytime soon.
I took delivery of my car at the factory the day before they announced the "refresh" exterior changes, which also included price reductions for the HPWC, some options, and changes to the charger. When they gave us the factory tour they explained that there was some work underway and they couldn't show us the final assembly portion of the MS line. They were lying to us and just concealing the fact that they were about the deliver the last of the "old" exteriors. I had a "new" car for exactly 18hrs, then my $100,000 purchase became an "old" Model S with the black nose bubble, overpriced dual chargers, overpriced HPWC, no HEPA cabin air filters, poorer quality headlights, etc. etc.

The same thing happened recently to some buyers who got AP 1.0 h/w a day/week before they began shipping AP2.0 h/w.

Caveat emptor.

I took delivery of my car at the factory the day before they announced the "refresh" exterior changes, which also included price reductions for the HPWC, some options, and changes to the charger. When they gave us the factory tour they explained that there was some work underway and they couldn't show us the final assembly portion of the MS line. They were lying to us and just concealing the fact that they were about the deliver the last of the "old" exteriors. I had a "new" car for exactly 18hrs, then my $100,000 purchase became an "old" Model S with the black nose bubble, overpriced dual chargers, overpriced HPWC, no HEPA cabin air filters, poorer quality headlights, etc. etc.

The same thing happened recently to some buyers who got AP 1.0 h/w a day/week before they began shipping AP2.0 h/w.

Caveat emptor.

With iPhones, you know at least a new release happens only once a year. But with Tesla, you never know. Can't blame them either. They have to keep innovating and give reasons for people to buy the latest model. I am guessing, but I think they will come up something new next quarter to keep the demand going.

There is a good list of features expected on a car of this class that are simply missing. There are more, but they include:
  • Coat hooks and grab handles
  • Lights for the vanity mirrors
  • Pockets/drink holders in the doors & on the back of the seats--just more storage in general
  • Adjustable-height shoulder belts
  • Blind spot detection status lights for the side view mirrors
  • Android Auto or Apple Carplay screen mirroring
  • iOS/Android playback when the phone is attached to the USB ports
  • Adjustable headrests
  • Sunglass holder
The Model S is an amazing car for sure, but minimalist in many ways. It has features that other cars do not have (e.g., huge nav screen, frunk), but is missing some pretty major things.

Reactions: Boatguy
With iPhones, you know at least a new release happens only once a year. But with Tesla, you never know. Can't blame them either. They have to keep innovating and give reasons for people to buy the latest model. I am guessing, but I think they will come up something new next quarter to keep the demand going.
That's the part I don't understand. They currently have no competition in the long distance or luxury EV segment which means they don't have a need to release their "innovations" incrementally. I attribute it more to atrocious marketing skills and a total lack of commitment to the customer than to competitive pressure. EM is obsessed with the technology (and more narrowly just AP), not with happy customers. This will work until real competition arrives, then the games actually begin. The question is whether more customer focused management will emerge, or they will stay technology focused. If the former, they'll still be here in 2030, if the latter, they will be a footnote in the transition from ICE to EV.

That's the part I don't understand. They currently have no competition in the long distance or luxury EV segment which means they don't have a need to release their "innovations" incrementally. I attribute it more to atrocious marketing skills and a total lack of commitment to the customer than to competitive pressure. EM is obsessed with the technology (and more narrowly just AP), not with happy customers. This will work until real competition arrives, then the games actually begin. The question is whether more customer focused management will emerge, or they will stay technology focused. If the former, they'll still be here in 2030, if the latter, they will be a footnote in the transition from ICE to EV.

I think EM is just super motivated and wants to do too many things. I don't think he has much to care about competition either in the EV space or self driving as they are so far ahead. But the reason they are so far ahead is because he is always pushing ahead. And the price of that innovation is faster releases. Which leads to situations like this where someone buys a new car and few days later it can become outdated. It's still the same car but the customer feels cheated.

If you were to poll most tesla customers, I think they would be more happy than not. And most understand what they are getting into when buying a Tesla.

It will be very interesting to see how they deal with this when they release Model 3 and have lot more customers.

Every company goes thru growing pains. I remember how Facebook used to release new features anytime and break apps that were built on their platform. But as Facebook matured, they streamlined the release process, giving notice to app developers of breaking changes etc. I sure hope Tesla will also learn and figure things out as they grow.