Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CBL Forms Partnership to Open Tesla Supercharging Stations at Select CBL Malls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is excellent news! Hopefully it expands beyond the first 5 stations.

It's good to see that Superchargers will be installed at CherryVale Mall in Rockford, Illinois. CherryVale is at the intersections of several interstates and major highways. They connect Chicagoland with Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota, and central Wisconsin with downstate Illinois.

That's great. I wish the stock would react to this news but it's got the chinese flu or something...
but what is this ???:

Burlington Supercharger Home Plate.jpg

Are You kidding me ? :)

When you think about it, malls are the perfect location for Superchargers.

1) They are often near major highways
2) There is plenty of parking to set aside 10-20 locations for Teslas
3) Plenty of shops, cafes, and other things to do for 20-60 minutes
4) Malls have a draw for high income demographic Tesla owners

This is big news! I think this is the first such deal they've done like this, right? I'm still hoping for a deal with near-the-highway Starbucks locations.

Yes, first I've heard of a publically announced partnership for superchargers. I wonder how much this will cost per supercharger installed for the mall? Is there a federal/state/other incentive that would apply? Or are they purely seeing this as a ROI?

This is big news! I think this is the first such deal they've done like this, right? I'm still hoping for a deal with near-the-highway Starbucks locations.

Yes this is the first deal. And I believe there will be more to come based on the quote below. Also, outlet malls make the most sense. Outlet malls are generally off major highways between areas with high population density. It would not surprise me if a major outlet mall developer signs on soon.

“CBL is pleased to be one of the first national mall developers to enter into a long-term partnership with Tesla. We are very excited to bring this amenity to our customers and the surrounding community,” said Jim Ward, Vice President of Brand Development for CBL. “We are confident that Tesla owners will appreciate the convenience of charging their vehicles at our well-located shopping centers that serve as the hub for shopping, dining, and entertainment in their communities.”

Tesla Supercharging Stations at CBL Malls | Business Wire

I hope they incorporate some way to encourage people to move their car when done charging. This really would be the ideal place to install a couple of HPWCs next to them as well. If you are going for dinner or a movie, you may not even need a Supercharger.

If they can't integrate the superchargers with some sort of push notification to the smartphone app to indicate when charging is complete, how about just wiring up a klaxon and flashing light on the charger itself that is triggered when the charger is in use but charging flow drops to nil. That should get the attention of the wayward owner... :tongue: