Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not as far as I can see.

And that is probably true, but that doesn't say anything about it being funded by the NEVI program. Which congress with a lot of requirements that no Supercharger currently meets. And they won't be simple to resolve.
I wonder if you can legally meet the requirement if you make stations that meet all the other requirements but only have a cable long enough to barely reach the corner of the car, as Tesla SC do? Cars silly enough to have a port not at the corner could carry an expensive 6 foot ccs extension cable if they wanted.

Yes thank you @stopcrazypp, for @bradtem and @DeepBlueMN , this is the source (Elon himself). I almost seem to recall that Zach backed Elon up on this as well, but I can't find a source right now.
I will say looking at quote closely, the person asking was asking specifically about GM on energy costs. So it could be Elon means 30% GM on energy costs, and then 10% GM on all costs (although he uses "profitability"). Hard to say, as it's just a short tweet. I don't believe the SEC filings lay out any details. There's also the details like even if this is the goal going forward, does that 10% profitability cover also the sunk costs of the network previously (or is it just a quarter by quarter or year by year analysis).

I will say looking at quote closely, the person asking was asking specifically about GM on energy costs. So it could be Elon means 30% GM on energy costs, and then 10% GM on all costs (although he uses "profitability"). Hard to say, as it's just a short tweet. I don't believe the SEC filings lay out any details. There's also the details like even if this is the goal going forward, does that 10% profitability cover also the sunk costs of the network previously (or is it just a quarter by quarter or year by year analysis).
Well, if you cant make a profit on 58 cents/kwh, that's not a great sign for the electric car. While selling electricity is not a business, people hope it will be, and if it has to be more than 60 cents to be, that's not good, as it exceeds the cost of gasoline in efficient hybrid cars.

Look at Tesla financials, there is a Supercharger and other services lines, IIRC, it showed 10%

Look at Tesla financials, there is a Supercharger and other services lines, IIRC, it showed 10%
Link and direct quote?
I looked at the filings previously before, supercharger revenue and costs are bundled into automotive sales:
"Automotive sales revenue includes revenues related to cash and financing deliveries of new Model S, Model X, Model 3, and Model Y vehicles, including access to our Supercharger network, internet connectivity, FSD features and over-the-air software updates. These deliveries are vehicles that are not subject to lease accounting. "

"Cost of automotive sales revenue includes direct and indirect materials, labor costs, manufacturing overhead, including depreciation costs of tooling and machinery, shipping and logistic costs, vehicle connectivity costs, allocations of electricity and infrastructure costs related to our Supercharger network and reserves for estimated warranty expenses."
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1318605/000095017022012936/tsla-20220630.htm

If you have a reference where they put it as a separate line item, please post it.

Well, if you cant make a profit on 58 cents/kwh, that's not a great sign for the electric car. While selling electricity is not a business, people hope it will be, and if it has to be more than 60 cents to be, that's not good, as it exceeds the cost of gasoline in efficient hybrid cars.
I disagree. Most charging is done as home charging. That DC charging (if break even) costs a bit more than a efficient gas car is not an issue at all, especially given Teslas have performance levels that in a gas car would result in something much less efficient. It's not expected to be a method of primary charging, it's mainly for long trips.

I remember back then when battery swapping was explored, the comparison case for costs was Model S against an Audi A8, so faster charging methods were pretty much assumed to be against an equivalent ICE car, not against the most efficient hybrids.

Last edited:
I disagree. Most charging is done as home charging. That DC charging (if break even) costs a bit more than a efficient gas car is not an issue at all, especially given Teslas have performance levels that in a gas car would result in something much less efficient. It's not expected to be a method of primary charging, it's mainly for long trips.

I remember back then when battery swapping was explored, the comparison case for costs was Model S against an Audi A8, so faster charging methods were pretty much assumed to be against an equivalent ICE car, not against the most efficient hybrids.
For you and I, it's all home charging. While it's the wrong approach, the charge networks are now infilling urban locations with chargers for use by people who can't charge at home. As I said, it is the wrong approach, and nobody with home charging uses these, but they think there is a business there.

We all use them on road trips, though. The challenge of the fast charger is at this price there is even strong incentive to do what I already do when I can, which is charge at my hotel. That picks up one full "tank" and I use fast charging for the rest. For those only going 200 miles in a day they avoid FC entirely because of the price, or do only one charge there if going <400 miles.

At a price like 30 cents, while 2.5x the average price at home, it still is better than gasoline and more people will use it.

For commercial cars, which may do all their driving on long haul, you do make the electric choice be more expensive than the hybrid choice, and that's not desired, though it may be the way of it.

For you and I, it's all home charging. While it's the wrong approach, the charge networks are now infilling urban locations with chargers for use by people who can't charge at home. As I said, it is the wrong approach, and nobody with home charging uses these, but they think there is a business there.

We all use them on road trips, though. The challenge of the fast charger is at this price there is even strong incentive to do what I already do when I can, which is charge at my hotel. That picks up one full "tank" and I use fast charging for the rest. For those only going 200 miles in a day they avoid FC entirely because of the price, or do only one charge there if going <400 miles.
Charging at a L2 charger whenever possible (whether at a hotel, at work, at a mall) is exactly the thing they should be promoting! L2 chargers are much less expensive to install and are much less likely to be subject to high demand charges.

Pushing people to rely exclusively on DC charging even for local driving is not a good strategy.
At a price like 30 cents, while 2.5x the average price at home, it still is better than gasoline and more people will use it.

For commercial cars, which may do all their driving on long haul, you do make the electric choice be more expensive than the hybrid choice, and that's not desired, though it may be the way of it.
I'm still on an E1 schedule and I essentially pay nothing for charging at home given I have solar (ignoring panel costs), but if I didn't have NEM, I would be paying 31.5 cents per kWh.

Last edited:
Charging at a L2 charger whenever possible (whether at a hotel, at work, at a mall) is exactly the thing they should be promoting! L2 chargers are much less expensive to install and are much less likely to be subject to high demand charges.

Pushing people to rely exclusively on DC charging even for local driving is not a good strategy.

I'm still on an E1 schedule and I essentially pay nothing for charging at home given I have solar (ignoring panel costs), but if I didn't have NEM, I would be paying 30.5 cents per kWh.
You don't have ToU? 13 cents is the national average. In many places it is more, but I had not heard of a place where you paid 30.5 cents off-peak. Where is that? Don't charge on-peak.

No, you don't pay nothing given you have solar. If you have net metering, what you take from your solar panels for your car is energy you don't get credit for via your net metering. Many have net metering that pays pretty sucky, though, but it's not nothing.

The only way to pay nothing would be to have no net metering, and be generating much more than your house uses, and to take that surplus and only that surplus and put it in the car. (A few people have tools to do that, most don't.) Of course your panels had a cost, so they were not free, and the ability to have that surplus is something you paid for, unless you just overprovisioned, which is also not free.

Reactions: jsmay311
I don't think an adapter would qualify for the NEVI funds. It has to be a premenentally attached CCS cable. And the sites would have to be completely redesigned/rewired/rebuilt to meet the minimum power requirements.
I don't understand what requirements they don't currently meet. The current rules only require 4 stalls with "150 kw" (regardless of amperage limitations :facepalm). Tesla V3 setups meet these requirements, afaict. Unfortunately, some NEVI compliant installs from others could potentially be quite bad.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
You don't have ToU? 13 cents is the national average. In many places it is more, but I had not heard of a place where you paid 30.5 cents off-peak. Where is that? Don't charge on-peak.
California is way more than national average. I don't have TOU. I'm on PG&E. TOU and EV plans are not much better.

The EV schedules pay 25 cents for offpeak (but much more for peak):
Making sense of the rates
The TOU is 28 cents in best case for offpeak:
https://www.pge.com/pge_global/comm...rates-work/Residential-Rates-Plan-Pricing.pdf

Even without solar, there is little benefit for me to switch to TOU, as I would either break even or I pay a lot more if I have too much peak usage. I think this is generally the case for most people.
No, you don't pay nothing given you have solar. If you have net metering, what you take from your solar panels for your car is energy you don't get credit for via your net metering. Many have net metering that pays pretty sucky, though, but it's not nothing.
NEM pays 4.5 cents per kWh if I have lots of excess, it's close to worthless to me. By "nothing" I mean my solar generates much more power than I use, so all my usage is completely offset. All I pay for is minimal delivery costs (about $10 per month) but even that is offset on annual true-up.
The only way to pay nothing would be to have no net metering, and be generating much more than your house uses, and to take that surplus and only that surplus and put it in the car. (A few people have tools to do that, most don't.) Of course your panels had a cost, so they were not free, and the ability to have that surplus is something you paid for, unless you just overprovisioned, which is also not free.
That's why I put "ignoring panel costs". I didn't want to go into details of the costs of amortizing the panels, etc. My main point was about the E1 schedule electricity prices being already higher than $0.30/kWh.

Last edited:
I don't understand what requirements they don't currently meet. The current rules only require 4 stalls with "150 kw" (regardless of amperage limitations :facepalm). Tesla V3 setups meet these requirements, afaict. Unfortunately, some NEVI compliant installs from others could potentially be quite bad.
Nope, V3 doesn't meet the 150kw requirement. V3 can only provide ~90kW to each stall if they are all in use, the NEVI requirement is that it has to be able to provide 150kW to every NEVI stall at the same time. So that is one condition that V3 doesn't meet. I suppose at a 8 stall V3 site Tesla could dedicate 600kW to 4 NEVI stalls, but that would only leave 120kW to be shared by the remaining 4 stalls. (A 4 stall V3 site could not qualify without a lot of battery storage on-site which Tesla hasn't done.)

Other requirements:
  • On-site display showing price and charging stats (Can be one pedestal for the entire site.)
  • On-site credit card reader for someone to start a charging session (Can be one for the entire site.)
  • 24x7 call center for someone to call and pay over the phone and start a charging session
  • CCS cables have to be permanently attached. (But there can be adapters from CCS to other connectors.)
At least that is my understanding of the requirements.

California is way more than national average. I don't have TOU. I'm on PG&E. TOU and EV plans are not much better.

The EV schedules pay 25 cents for offpeak (but much more for peak):
Making sense of the rates
The TOU is 28 cents in best case for offpeak:
https://www.pge.com/pge_global/comm...rates-work/Residential-Rates-Plan-Pricing.pdf

Even without solar, there is little benefit for me to switch to TOU, as I would either break even or I pay a lot more if I have too much peak usage. I think this is generally the case for most people.

NEM pays 4.5 cents per kWh if I have lots of excess, it's close to worthless to me. By "free" I mean my solar generates much more power than I use, so all my usage is completely offset. All I pay for is minimal delivery costs (about $10 per month) but even that is offset on annual true-up.

That's why I put "ignoring panel costs". I didn't want to go into details of the costs of amortizing the panels, etc. My main point was about the E1 schedule electricity prices being already higher than $0.30/kWh.
I have PG&E ToU and it's about 18 cents/kwh from midnight to 3pm. You must be in a different place if you pay 25 cents off peak. The very long off-peak period means I put most of my electricity use into off-peak, such as my pool pump and a few other things. In fact, back when it was only 13 cents off-peak, going to ToU saved me money to the point that getting my Tesla made my total power bill go down, in spite of charging it!

I have PG&E ToU and it's about 18 cents/kwh from midnight to 3pm. You must be in a different place if you pay 25 cents off peak. The very long off-peak period means I put most of my electricity use into off-peak, such as my pool pump and a few other things. In fact, back when it was only 13 cents off-peak, going to ToU saved me money to the point that getting my Tesla made my total power bill go down, in spite of charging it!
I don't didn't sign up for either EV or TOU schedule, so I don't know what the final rate would be, but I'm just going by the website, which gives those numbers on their rate schedules. Also PG&E got approved for a rate increase recently, so it got higher.

Nope, V3 doesn't meet the 150kw requirement. V3 can only provide ~90kW to each stall if they are all in use, the NEVI requirement is that it has to be able to provide 150kW to every NEVI stall at the same time. So that is one condition that V3 doesn't meet. I suppose at a 8 stall V3 site Tesla could dedicate 600kW to 4 NEVI stalls, but that would only leave 120kW to be shared by the remaining 4 stalls. (A 4 stall V3 site could not qualify without a lot of battery storage on-site which Tesla hasn't done.)

Other requirements:
  • On-site display showing price and charging stats (Can be one pedestal for the entire site.)
  • On-site credit card reader for someone to start a charging session (Can be one for the entire site.)
  • 24x7 call center for someone to call and pay over the phone and start a charging session
  • CCS cables have to be permanently attached. (But there can be adapters from CCS to other connectors.)
At least that is my understanding of the requirements.
This is why we should not let laws design charging stations.
Nonetheless I think Tesla could meet these requirements if they find it worth it:

As you note, one pedestal for display, stats and credit card processing. Strong push for use of the Tesla app for all of this, however, even surcharge the price if you don't use the app, and that pays for the rarely used call center.

They can program the controller to give 150kw simultaneously to the NEVI stalls (which is not all stalls) but do so only in the very unlikely event that 4 cars are simultaneously able to take 150kw at those stalls at the same time. In this rare event, the other stalls would under-deliver. It would be worth studying charging patterns to find out if this is frequent enough to make it worth doing anything about it, but if it is frequent, there are a number of tricks to reduce the frequency such as

• Higher price for those stalls, particularly for non-members (ie. non-Teslas)
  • Other types of priority for Teslas at those stalls
  • Possibly only having a standard length Tesla charge cord. I am curious if the regulations dictate the length of the charge cord or not. If not, the Tesla length cord will reach almost no other vehicles but Teslas, so it would honour the law in letter but definitely not in spirit, and probably get amended. To avoid that, have a slightly longer cord that gets some other cars, and offer for sale CCS extension cords for use by people who foolishly bought a car with the port in the wrong place. These cords would legitimately cost quite a lot -- I could see $500 -- so almost nobody buys them, but anybody could. Could even have a remote actuated lockbox at each station where you can call the 24 hour call center to buy one right there. Or, if you prefer, just go to one of the non-NEVI stalls. Which is what they all would do.

Nope, V3 doesn't meet the 150kw requirement. V3 can only provide ~90kW to each stall if they are all in use, the NEVI requirement is that it has to be able to provide 150kW to every NEVI stall at the same time.
I've seen you quoting this 90 kW per stall a couple of times, but that doesn't seem to always be the case. It seems to vary some and depends on what feed they can get from the utility at that location. This thread was spotting the transformers, and it was an 8 stall location that was provided by two transformers--a 500 kVA one and a 750 kVA one. So right near the border of maybe so, maybe not able to meet that 150 kW per stall level at that site.

It's still a tough requirement, where the dynamic allocation is more efficient and cost effective.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I've seen you quoting this 90 kW per stall a couple of times, but that doesn't seem to always be the case.
Yeah, the 90kW per stall is the maximum the Tesla equipment can provide unless there if on-site battery storage linked to the DC bus. Obviously if the utility provides less power than the cabinets can handle that would reduce it. But even if the utility could provide 100MW, an 8 site V3, with no storage, is limited to ~720kW split across the 8 stalls.