Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As to "Why would you want a 3rd party one, the official one will be along soon enough":
  • It's been ~4 months since it launched in Korea, and it hasn't stayed in stock THERE yet. (Where I'm guessing there are about 60k teslas on the road, vs 10x that here?)
  • Thus I'm estimating it'll be Q4 2022 until it's in stock here. At the earliest.
  • There's a lot of driving I could be doing before then.

Isn't that essentially what the Setec adapter is? It converts CCS1 to CHAdeMO, but with a Tesla connector. I'm not sure if there's an additional CHAdeMO to Tesla messaging conversion, or if that's in the car, but they could just omit that if so.

The output of the setec is similar to the output of the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. That output is not chademo, and from what I understand isn't really related.

I've seen a Youtube video of a guy with a Leaf that was working on an adapter. I'm not sure if he's kept going with it.

The output of the setec is similar to the output of the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. That output is not chademo, and from what I understand isn't really related.

I've seen a Youtube video of a guy with a Leaf that was working on an adapter. I'm not sure if he's kept going with it.

Setec manufactures charging stations with both CCS and CHAdeMO protocols. So they would certainly have the capability to build a CCS adapter for Leafs. Might be more expensive than most Leaf owners are willing to pay though.

Reactions: jsight and MP3Mike
Thanks for sharing this - didn’t realize the availability was so limited!
Yeah, they appear to be following the Chademo adapter stock level (out of stock more than in stock, supply insufficient) so far...

1642791543307.png

Reactions: kayak1
Isn't that essentially what the Setec adapter is? It converts CCS1 to CHAdeMO, but with a Tesla connector. I'm not sure if there's an additional CHAdeMO to Tesla messaging conversion, or if that's in the car, but they could just omit that if so.
Edit: sorry, what you said was correct for the Setec adapter, although there are still differences between Tesla and CHAdeMO (which is why Tesla's adapter needs to be active, not passive). My previous comment missed that you were talking about the Setec adapter, not the Tesla one.
This is just in general, and was mentioned up thread, but there is so much disinformation being posted about adapters and the various standards that this is confusing a lot of people and making them rush out to buy products that may not even work in the first place. For anyone that is unsure about the facts, please at least do the research first before posting, or make it very clear you are just throwing out speculation that you have not researched yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: FalconFour
No, that is a AC powered portable DC charger.

I swear I have seen one that you plug CCS in to one side and have a CHAdeMO cable out the other.
Muxsan which sells various Leaf accessories is actively working on a CHAdeMO to CCS adapter for Leaf owners, although it is still in development stages (although it looks like they are bundling it with their "extender" packs and not as a standalone accessory). Similar to what is happening with Tesla V2 vs higher power CCS stations, the Leaf actually charges faster on CCS than it does with CHAdeMO (due to most CHAdeMO stations being limited on current).

On Youtube this guy is working on converting his Leaf:
Here's the reddit thread where he made the comment that doing a retrofit is far easier than trying to do a CHAdeMO to CCS adapter. Given Muxsan seemed to have gone in that direction also (except with their "extender" battery in the mix), it seems there isn't any movement in terms of an adapter.

I guess Setec remains the only one that might have a chance of working on this via changing their Tesla to CCS1 adapter, although there are no signs they are.

Setec manufactures charging stations with both CCS and CHAdeMO protocols. So they would certainly have the capability to build a CCS adapter for Leafs. Might be more expensive than most Leaf owners are willing to pay though.
What I think they should do instead is to build a simple passthrough adapter and compete with Tesla. Can't be that difficult to win at that game as Tesla's adapter is never in stock.

Reactions: kayak1 and jsight
What I think they should do instead is to build a simple passthrough adapter and compete with Tesla. Can't be that difficult to win at that game as Tesla's adapter is never in stock.
That also competes with their own active adapter however (which still remains an option, especially for those without the proper CCS ECU), so I think Setec will wait it out and will not be in a hurry to come out with a cheap passthrough adapter. At minimum they still have to sell off whatever remaining stock they have of the active adapter.

That also competes with their own active adapter however (which still remains an option, especially for those without the proper CCS ECU), so I think Setec will wait it out and will not be in a hurry to come out with a cheap passthrough adapter. At minimum they still have to sell off whatever remaining stock they have of the active adapter.
I think it will expand Setec's market as the 2 adapters serve different customer needs.

Although current active adapter can be used with every Tesla it has some compatibility issues with chargers and is only really for those without CCS ECU. The market for those without CCS ECU will always be there and Setec's active adapter is a decent choice. Upgrading to a CCS ECU is costly and sometimes not possible right?
However I think most people with CCS ECU today are not willing to pay >600 dollar for an inferior product and would pick a passive adapter every time as it is several times faster at charging and works with every CCS charger. And it would cost a lot less too.

Upgrading to a CCS ECU is costly and sometimes not possible right?
Nobody knows yet. Tesla may make the ECU upgrade relatively cheap (for any car where it's possible) with the purchase of their CCS1 adapter, when released. If the cost of the ECU upgrade plus the adapter is less than the Setec, then Setec will have to lower the price unless "out of stock" from Tesla becomes an issue.

I think it will expand Setec's market as the 2 adapters serve different customer needs.

Although current active adapter can be used with every Tesla it has some compatibility issues with chargers and is only really for those without CCS ECU. The market for those without CCS ECU will always be there and Setec's active adapter is a decent choice. Upgrading to a CCS ECU is costly and sometimes not possible right?
However I think most people with CCS ECU today are not willing to pay >600 dollar for an inferior product and would pick a passive adapter every time as it is several times faster at charging and works with every CCS charger. And it would cost a lot less too.
But at the current moment there is a "perfect storm" in which there is no cheap alternative even for those with the CCS ECU built in, so that gives Setec an opportunity to sell the existing active adapter for those that are desperate for a CCS option in the short run.

Last edited:

Yeah, not to mention that margins on the passive adapter would be huge. They could sell them for $400 and likely have a fairly big market.

The locking mechanism is mission critical. If some wanker walks by (which they do) and tugs on the plug and pulls it out during a high amperage charge, there could be some excitement.
Just thought I'd call this one up, didn't see it mentioned yet. The lock isn't *exactly* mission critical because every CCS plug - just like J1772 AC - has a switch in the handle that signals to the car and EVSE that it's been pressed (in the process of unlatching) and the car and EVSE both monitor it and react instantly. The Tesla-side lock is still active (holds the plug in the car), so it can't simply be pulled out - it has to be pressed to unlatch, then remove from the adapter still locked to the car. In that tiny fraction of time, many hundreds of thousands of CPU cycles on both sides pass, and they can react and de-energize that quickly.

That said, it's only a secondary safety mechanism, but given the relative flimsiness of the long latch lever in the handle, many charging sessions (on CCS vehicles) already end this way as it is (even if the handle can't be removed due to the lock). People don't bother/notice the stop button on the EVSE, so they try the handle first, often with excessive (frustrated/dumb) force, and that stops the session and unlocks the handle.

1642842405892.png

The Tesla adapter appears to have a passive lever that extends to the body of the charging port, and when inserted, it pushes the lock into the mechanism just by virtue of being inserted. Clever. Pretty simple if the EVhub guys decide to add that as well - would be smart if they did.

I'm still left wondering why they even decided to stump/fake the proximity pin in the first place with the flawed adapter design. My first thought would be to simply pass the pins all through - so why would they mess with faking a pin with a resistor at all? Ah well.

Really hope Tesla comes out with that adapter soon, already. I've got an incompatible ECU in my Model 3 and an attempt to upgrade to a Gen4 failed, but I'm scheduled to shovel more money at the problem with a service visit next week. Tesla swears up and down that the Gen4 ECU should be a drop-in compatible replacement and the service visit is mostly to figure out why it didn't "take" (throws faults after reflashing with an update). Fingers crossed I can then be ready for the passive adapter!

Lastly, of course this adapter can't be used for both AC and DC charging, because the Tesla plug shares pins for AC and DC charging. The AC pins in the adapter have to go nowhere, thus, because CCS has them separated out - can't guarantee that every DC station won't have AC pins as well that'd be fed DC voltage when connected. Big no-no (though unlikely) - but more importantly, the DC pins would be exposed AC during AC charging. Even bigger no-no. So, we'll always have 2 adapters. No biggie, but it does mean the CCS adapter will likely never be included/will never replace the J1772 AC adapter plug.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Just thought I'd call this one up, didn't see it mentioned yet. The lock isn't *exactly* mission critical because every CCS plug - just like J1772 AC - has a switch in the handle that signals to the car and EVSE that it's been pressed (in the process of unlatching) and the car and EVSE both monitor it and react instantly. The Tesla-side lock is still active (holds the plug in the car), so it can't simply be pulled out - it has to be pressed to unlatch, then remove from the adapter still locked to the car. In that tiny fraction of time, many hundreds of thousands of CPU cycles on both sides pass, and they can react and de-energize that quickly.

That said, it's only a secondary safety mechanism, but given the relative flimsiness of the long latch lever in the handle, many charging sessions (on CCS vehicles) already end this way as it is (even if the handle can't be removed due to the lock). People don't bother/notice the stop button on the EVSE, so they try the handle first, often with excessive (frustrated/dumb) force, and that stops the session and unlocks the handle.

View attachment 758772

The Tesla adapter appears to have a passive lever that extends to the body of the charging port, and when inserted, it pushes the lock into the mechanism just by virtue of being inserted. Clever. Pretty simple if the EVhub guys decide to add that as well - would be smart if they did.

I'm still left wondering why they even decided to stump/fake the proximity pin in the first place with the flawed adapter design. My first thought would be to simply pass the pins all through - so why would they mess with faking a pin with a resistor at all? Ah well.

Really hope Tesla comes out with that adapter soon, already. I've got an incompatible ECU in my Model 3 and an attempt to upgrade to a Gen4 failed, but I'm scheduled to shovel more money at the problem with a service visit next week. Tesla swears up and down that the Gen4 ECU should be a drop-in compatible replacement and the service visit is mostly to figure out why it didn't "take" (throws faults after reflashing with an update). Fingers crossed I can then be ready for the passive adapter!

Lastly, of course this adapter can't be used for both AC and DC charging, because the Tesla plug shares pins for AC and DC charging. The AC pins in the adapter have to go nowhere, thus, because CCS has them separated out - can't guarantee that every DC station won't have AC pins as well that'd be fed DC voltage when connected. Big no-no (though unlikely) - but more importantly, the DC pins would be exposed AC during AC charging. Even bigger no-no. So, we'll always have 2 adapters. No biggie, but it does mean the CCS adapter will likely never be included/will never replace the J1772 AC adapter plug.
Great explanation. Makes total sense as I use the J1772 adapter every day and you cannot just pull the assembly out. One has to press the button on the L2 charger handle and it idles the charge. What I was wondering with the CCS adapter was if it could be physically pulled out without pressing the button on the handle. The CCS handle needs to lock to the adapter and lock to the car thus not allowing prior mentioned wankers to pull the assembly out by pulling on the handle without pressing the button. Sounds like it works the same way.