Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order yesterday on Tesla Korea for the CCS1 adaptor to be delivered to the Deliver Korea forwarding service. I'm waiting for tracking information to fill out the forwarding form. Tesla Korea currently lists the order status as "Order Completed" "Unable to check delivery status".

Is this a good or bad sign?

You should have met us at the Redmond Target before the rain :D

There is another EA charger at the Bank of America on 148th & 24th. And many others on Plugshare.

EA will have free charging this Friday, you won't need an account:

I placed an order yesterday on Tesla Korea for the CCS1 adaptor to be delivered to the Deliver Korea forwarding service. I'm waiting for tracking information to fill out the forwarding form. Tesla Korea currently lists the order status as "Order Completed" "Unable to check delivery status".

I just ordered one a couple of hours ago and I have the same message, so I think that's the default before it ships. Here is the Tesla Korea shop FAQs, via Google Translate. Also, Tesla may pull the plug on this at any time [pun intended]: "Tesla reserves the right to cancel any order that appears to have been purchased for resale or export outside the shipping agent's address or Korea."

I have the same status (when I translate it using Google Translate). Seems the order hasn't been cancelled yet, so that's good.

Can't believe how much of a premium people are paying for these on eBay...

But Tesla could drop their outrageous terms of agreement and make it truly open. I'm not saying they will, but they could. And he's saying they should.
I'm not even sure that they do have outrageous terms. Do they really protect the physical design of the adapter? And is that even legal to prevent someone from making a connector with the same physical shape for compatibility purposes?

Because now that it can ccs handshake with a straight passthrough, this really is just connector shape.

Put another way, if evgo is allowed to strap chademo adapters to the side and say they support Tesla, surely others can strap the cable side of a chademo to the side and say the same thing.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mockingbird
I'm not even sure that they do have outrageous terms. Do they really protect the physical design of the adapter? And is that even legal to prevent someone from making a connector with the same physical shape for compatibility purposes?

Because now that it can ccs handshake with a straight passthrough, this really is just connector shape.

Put another way, if evgo is allowed to strap chademo adapters to the side and say they support Tesla, surely others can strap the cable side of a chademo to the side and say the same thing.
I believe the only terms for using Superchargers with the Tesla connector were to share in the maintenance of stations, electricity, and will comply with charging connector/protocol. This was stated many years ago. Nobody ever took up the offer from Tesla, though one niche startup seemed to ask years ago Bollinger Asks Tesla If It Can Use Superchargers.

I'm on mobile and can't easily tag everyone.

I never got tracking from Tesla Korea in order to provide Deliver Korea the info. What ended up happening is that the package showed up at their facility and they (Deliver Korea) emailed me and had me fill the form out.

If you got the shipping info right I think you will be OK. Just monitor your emails from Deliver Korea. I'm

@darknavi and I just tested the CCS1 adapter on my 2022 Model X and it worked perfectly. Compared to CHAdeMO, the adapter is sleek and the charging experience was seamless. Neither of us can figure out why it didn't ask for payment - maybe free charging for earth day has started already?

View attachment 796249View attachment 796250
Thanks! I just filled out the form to the Korean proxy service to get this process started (for 2021 refreshed MS LR).

I believe the only terms for using Superchargers with the Tesla connector were to share in the maintenance of stations, electricity, and will comply with charging connector/protocol. This was stated many years ago. Nobody ever took up the offer from Tesla, though one niche startup seemed to ask years ago Bollinger Asks Tesla If It Can Use Superchargers.
Nope.

• Informative
Reactions: android04
I'm on mobile and can't easily tag everyone.

I never got tracking from Tesla Korea in order to provide Deliver Korea the info. What ended up happening is that the package showed up at their facility and they (Deliver Korea) emailed me and had me fill the form out.

If you got the shipping info right I think you will be OK. Just monitor your emails from Deliver Korea. I'm
How long did it take from when you ordered, to when you got an email from Deliver Korea?

The EVgo CHAdeMO adapter boxes uses extended length cables that I presume they got from Tesla. If charging networks approached Tesla saying they wanted to add Tesla connectors and to buy some cables, I'm not sure why Tesla would say no.

As for the other terms, Elon has said if automakers want access to the supercharger network, they need to pay upfront for network expansion costs, which I don't see as outrageous either.

The last bit is about using Tesla's patents. I presume this is where the "outrageous" part comes from. Basically for large companies, the sticking point is they can't freely use Tesla's patents unless they also give Tesla free access to their own patents (and also can't enforce their own EV patents). However, for new companies the terms are actually quite favorable as long as they aren't trying to be blatant copy cats (some companies in China have taken advantage of Tesla's patent pledge for example to make battery packs based on 18650s, I forgot which one, but might be JAC, and they have not gotten any legal trouble from Tesla).
All Our Patent Are Belong To You
Additional Resources | Tesla
However, if the companies work out agreements with Tesla to just buy the connectors and sockets from Tesla (or to pay for supercharger access), they don't really have to deal with the patent side, so I think that part is just a red herring.

Last edited:
The EVgo CHAdeMO adapter boxes uses extended length cables that I presume they got from Tesla. If charging networks approached Tesla saying they wanted to add Tesla connectors and to buy some cables, I'm not sure why Tesla would say no.

As for the other terms, Elon has said if automakers want access to the supercharger network, they need to pay upfront for network expansion costs, which I don't see as outrageous either.

The last bit is about using Tesla's patents. I presume this is where the "outrageous" part comes from. Basically for large companies, the sticking point is they can't freely use Tesla's patents unless they also give Tesla free access to their own patents (and also can't enforce their own EV patents). However, for new companies the terms are actually quite favorable as long as they aren't trying to be blatant copy cats (some companies in China have taken advantage of Tesla's patent pledge for example to make battery packs based on 18650s, I forgot which one, but might be JAC, and they have not gotten any legal trouble from Tesla).
All Our Patent Are Belong To You
Additional Resources | Tesla
However, if the companies work out agreements with Tesla to just buy the connectors and sockets from Tesla (or to pay for supercharger access), they don't really have to deal with the patent side, so I think that part is just a red herring.
The fact of the matter is that the Tesla Proprietary Connector (TPC) is proprietary and even if Tesla let other parties use the TPC, it's still proprietary.

That means that Tesla can change any of the specifications of the TPC at will and the rest of the industry wouldn't have any say.