Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like you can now order from Harumio direct off their website for $309 (I ordered, we'll see how it works!):
$9 cheaper than what I paid. Doh!
Though only a matter of time until this adapter is out of stock. Lol

Reactions: kayak1
Convenient that Harumio made it easy to order. Was thinking about ordering one and selling my Chademo adapter on ebay, but dont see much advantage since most of the free CCS chargers charge at the same speed as my Chademo (44-50kw)
CCS will likely always be faster than CHAdeMO, because of the 125A limit on the CHAdeMO adapter, and there are way more CCS stalls than CHAdeMO stalls,.(Electrify America isn't even putting any CHAdeMO stalls in their new installations.) The adapter is also smaller.

And you can probably sell your CHAdeMO adapter for more than the CCS one will cost you.

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Great points, but my local free charger is 50kw max for both. Would be nice to have the CCS for when Superchargers are busy. Also, the Chademo is massive! Biggest fear is that CCS will be very busy if the adapter is released in NA and Chademo will always be open since it is more rare to find adapters/cars

Reactions: mscott
I got my CCS Adapter yesterday for what it’s worth. I used Delivered Korea. Had to use my Amex to order, Tesla Korea wouldn’t accept any of my other credit cards. Curiously I was able to use my Apple Card in the past when my order got canceled last time (at that time I was attempting to have it shipped directly to me).

Ended up being about $275 all in, would have been less if I didn’t pick FedEx.

Appears to be well built, has considerable heft. My car’s currently at 80% charge so not much point in testing it until I can drain it a bit. Do have a 350kW EA near me, will be curious to see what the max rate I get there is.

• Helpful
Great points, but my local free charger is 50kw max for both. Would be nice to have the CCS for when Superchargers are busy. Also, the Chademo is massive! Biggest fear is that CCS will be very busy if the adapter is released in NA and Chademo will always be open since it is more rare to find adapters/cars
A lot of Chademo stalls have both Chademo and CCS plugs, so just because you have a Chademo mostly wouldn't mean you have a stall to yourself protected from CCS users. It looks like from the Alternative Fuels Data Center information there's only about 436 locations and ~1,400 stalls that have solely Chademo, while nearly 5000 locations and ~6,500 stalls have both, and 579 locations and ~4,000 stalls have CCS only. That's a lot of trouble for a relatively small pool of exclusive chargers--and not a number that's growing much and seems in fact likely to shrink.

Interesting, I have a very short drive my my free public charger, and I always assume that my battery isnt warmed up enough (heater symbol). Usually charges mid 30kw then up to 44kw. End of the battery pack drops quite a bit, down to mid 20's in the last 10%.

DHL is the best option. Literally 1 business day shipping for me from Korea. Shipped Friday, delivered Monday. Remarkable
DHL- Mine left Seoul yesterday and is expected to land here Friday. That's about the same I experienced transit from China with FedEX. I never ordered from S Korea before. FedEX has a 4 Terminal transfer from Asia to Florida on their regular service. Anchorage, Seattle, Tenn. Jacksonville.

The one thing I noticed with DHL that I likes=d is they claim they do US customs in transit to avoid getting stuck in a terminal. According to them my shipment has now cleared customs. there is a +13H Time difference here on the east coast but I think DHL quotes delivery estimate in local time.

So if it arrives here on Friday the total time for me will be 14 days.

Been fascinating comparing experiences.

Interesting, I have a very short drive my my free public charger, and I always assume that my battery isnt warmed up enough (heater symbol). Usually charges mid 30kw then up to 44kw. End of the battery pack drops quite a bit, down to mid 20's in the last 10%.
Yep, that is a result of the 125A limit on the CHAdeMO adapter. As long as the CCS charger supports more than 125A it will be faster.

• Helpful
Reactions: kayak1 and Rocky_H
Looks like you can now order from Harumio direct off their website for $309 (I ordered, we'll see how it works!):
Thanks for posting that. I ordered as well.

DHL- Mine left Seoul yesterday and is expected to land here Friday. That's about the same I experienced transit from China with FedEX. I never ordered from S Korea before. FedEX has a 4 Terminal transfer from Asia to Florida on their regular service. Anchorage, Seattle, Tenn. Jacksonville.

The one thing I noticed with DHL that I likes=d is they claim they do US customs in transit to avoid getting stuck in a terminal. According to them my shipment has now cleared customs. there is a +13H Time difference here on the east coast but I think DHL quotes delivery estimate in local time.

So if it arrives here on Friday the total time for me will be 14 days.

Been fascinating comparing experiences.
My FedEx-shipped adapter entered the country via Alaska and it was in and out of customs in less than 12 hours. Was on the way to its next stop the same day it arrived in Alaska.

Reactions: TravelFree
Interesting. They must've found someone with an account they are ordering in bulk from. Surely Tesla will shut this down soon...

• Funny
I have had the CHAdeMO adapter for a couple years. Never really used it. When I bought it Tesla only had 6 SC at 120KW in the area and we had two CHAdeMO's from EVGo and two from Nissan Dealer. No EA's. Today we have over 50 Tesla SC plugs, mostly 250KW. Only FL Keys is lacking.

I have no intention in selling the CHAdeMO adapter because what I hear is there are plenty of CHAdeMO chargers in remote locations where the companies have no incentive in changing them.

I also don't have incentive to use the CCS1 over Tesla as Tesla if available, is cheaper price and easier to use. I bought it for peace of mind when I travel to some remote places where plug share tells me CCS is available but Tesla is not. One day the adapters will probably be antiques and collector's items, like a Vacuum Tube tester. :)

Reactions: Rocky_H and mscott
I placed my order through this link earlier today. I sent them a follow up email to see if they still need my Tesla credentials. I guess I'll find out when they open back up on SK time. It will be interesting to see how fast Tesla shuts this down.....

• Funny
I have no intention in selling the CHAdeMO adapter because what I hear is there are plenty of CHAdeMO chargers in remote locations where the companies have no incentive in changing them.
Although just an anecdote, it was only thanks to our CHAdeMO adapter that we were able to travel through NW Colorado into the Flaming Gorge area last summer. There was a very conveniently placed CHAdeMO/CCS station in the tiny town of Dinosaur, CO that made the trip possible. (And even then we still needed an overnight campground 14-50 to be able to enjoy the park and make it to I-80 the next day.) I've used my CHAdeMO adapter exactly twice in roughly 7 years and 30K miles of electric road tripping, but it made trips possible that otherwise would have required half a day—or more!—at a campground.

Unless you never intend to stray more than 100 miles from a DCFC, I hope everyone on this thread who is buying the CCS adapter already has the full compliment of Tesla's plug adapters. Those will cover 90% of the L1 and L2 options you will encounter and open up far more destination options than the CCS adapter does. FWIW, I have a ton of NEMA 6-, 10-, and 14- adapters—not just the common ones that Tesla sells, but also several of the L (locking) and oddball 15 and 20 amp 240V plugs—and I've used every single one of them at least once. Basically, the lower trunk area of all our cars have a plethora of adapters and both 240V/50A and 120V/20A extension cords and converters from those oddball plugs to allow them to connect to said extension cords.

Electricity is everywhere, but it doesn't do you much good if you don't have the right plug or a long enough cable to be able to get at it. ;)

Attachments

• NEMA plugs.png
    NEMA plugs.png
    473.8 KB · Views: 63