Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where are you guys going to store the CCS charger when not in use? I wish it came with a case, may need to buy a third party one.

Also now that I have the adapter.. I wish Tesla was the standard connector. CCS Is huge in comparison
I keep mine in the storage area underneath the armrest. I also toss a towel in there to cushion the adapter, although I do not expect it would get damaged in that nook.

I have the South Korea adapter (1656565-10-A) and it weighs 823 grams.

Cool, that’s what I measure on my South Korean one as well (well 817g...

Here is the new NA Tesla CCS1 adapter label. It weighs approx.1.8 lbs...

823 g = 1.8144 lbs.
817 g = 1.80118 lbs.

"Good news, everyone!"* (Who bought a Korea adapter, that is.) It appears that there is no significant weight difference.

A side-by-side weigh-in would still be nice. Maybe also compare Korea vs. NA resistance/ohm readings? And of course charging rates at the same station.

I can bring my Korean adapter and meet someone with a U.S. adapter (at, say, a free EA location) somewhere near Davis, CA, USA. No rush. I expect there to be no difference.
______
* Professor Farnsworth (Billy West) on Futurama.

Hmmm…..

9B1C1B8E-1E98-4D11-A976-9FF0AD5F71A8.jpeg

I have the korean one, and its 1 lb, 12.9 oz. So yeah, about 1.81 lbs. same weight. I’m wondering about the power rating labels though. Doing the math, 500V x 300A = 150kW. The US model states 250kW right on the adapter. Then again, I’ve pulled a little over 180 for brief periods when charging before. So They’re probably the same. Same country, taiwan, same manufacturer, Pegatron.

Where are you guys going to store the CCS charger when not in use? I wish it came with a case, may need to buy a third party one.

Also now that I have the adapter.. I wish Tesla was the standard connector. CCS Is huge in comparison

Well, my lad, you have come to the right place. (Ha, ha.)

I can supply you with a Harumio, Amazon, Harbor Freight or other type of case.

Coincidentally, just posted this.

Also, see the Original Post from that Thread here.

I doubt you would see any difference. The only way to really check would be to measure voltage loss under load, but that isn't easy, or safe.
You can measure resistance directly with an ohmmeter. Since it's DC, capacitance and inductance do not come into play and can be ignored, and voltage drop increases linearly with current (V=I*R). Power dissipated increases with the square of the current (P=I*V=I*(I*R)=I^2*R).

Last edited:
I ordered late in the day on Wednesday and tracking predicts a Tuesday delivery (in MN). So, it looks likely that everyone who ordered on opening day should get theirs by early-mid next week.

I also ordered about 7pm Eastern time on Wednesday, got tracking email on Friday, and now the tracking link says the shipment has been picked up from the shipper, and should be delivered to me, in North Carolina on Tuesday, as well.

You can measure resistance directly with an ohmmeter. Since it's DC, capacitance and inductance do not come into play and can be ignored, and voltage drop increases linearly with current (V=I*R). Power dissipated increases with the square of the current (P=I*V=I*(I*R)=I^2*R).
I think his point is the resistance will be low enough that the meter won’t be able to tell. It’ll just register as 0. The actual probes will have more resistance than the adapter. You’d likely need something that can measure on the order of microohms, which is going to be laboratory grade stuff.

Reactions: MLXXXp and MP3Mike

I have an under seat drawer under the driver seat. Both CCS and J1772 adapters lie in there. Just remember to push it back before stepping on them (did a few times at the beginning).

I have both the Korean and North American Tesla adapters. NA one arrived yesterday. They are identical in every way. The box, packaging, labeling, etc. is all identical. Both weigh exactly the same. The only difference is the label on the bottom of the adapter is in part Korean vs English obviously. Both manufactured by Pegatron. Slight difference in wording on the bottom regarding 250 kW on NA one and 300 amps on Korean one. Not sure if that is simply translation/difference between countries and infrastructure.

IMG-9410.jpg

IMG-9411.jpg

IMG-9414.jpg

IMG-9413.jpg

Last edited:
I have both the Korean and North American Tesla adapters. NA one arrived yesterday. They are identical in every way. The box, packaging, labeling, etc. is all identical. The ONLY difference is the label on the bottom of the adapter is in part Korean vs English. Both manufactured by Pegatron.

Happy to post pics if anyone is that curious...
What some people here are interested in is the weight of each adapter. It's assumed that if a measurable difference is detected, the heavier adapter would have a higher current rating (since there appears to be a difference in specs between the two).

I agree they are almost certainly identical. It is odd that the electrical rating is so different - 250kW at 500V would imply at least a 500A capability, and in reality considering the cars are at more like 350v when pulling 250kW, you’re talking more along the order of 700A.

I have both the Korean and North American Tesla adapters...They are identical in every way. The box, packaging, labeling, etc. is all identical. Both weigh exactly the same <emphasis added>...Both manufactured by Pegatron. Slight difference in wording on the bottom regarding 250 kW on NA one and 300 amps on Korean one. Not sure if that is simply translation/difference between countries and infrastructure...

Good job. Thank you.

I agree they are almost certainly identical. It is odd that the electrical rating is so different - 250kW at 500V would imply at least a 500A capability, and in reality considering the cars are at more like 350v when pulling 250kW, you’re talking more along the order of 700A.

Short of side-by-side bench-top dissection, that is a strong indication that the two adapters are equivalent and quite possibly identical. The densest parts of the adapter should, of course, be made of metal--e.g., and fasteners and electrical contacts and transfer pieces. If conductive pieces were larger in the North American version, I'd like to think that it would show up as a noticeable weight difference.

Differences in labeling are puzzling, but not particularly worrisome, at this point. Explanatory speculations are offered here and by others.