Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a relatively new model Y owner who just did a long road trip, I'm glad there were enough Tesla superchargers along my route, but I was pretty ignorant about CCS and ChadeMo charging (just assumed my Tesla adapter pack would have the right one). I still need to catch up and educate myself on this issue, but glad I didn't have to use a non-Tesla charger for the past trip.

Looking forward to having a CCS adapter soon enough. More charging options, the better.

As a relatively new model Y owner who just did a long road trip, I'm glad there were enough Tesla superchargers along my route, but I was pretty ignorant about CCS and ChadeMo charging (just assumed my Tesla adapter pack would have the right one). I still need to catch up and educate myself on this issue, but glad I didn't have to use a non-Tesla charger for the past trip.

Looking forward to having a CCS adapter soon enough. More charging options, the better.
I dunno, if a dozen guys backflip blindly into a pool off a friend's roof and don't get injured, doesn't mean that it's safe to go ahead and perform the backflip too. Lol

What am I missing here?
If an official Tesla CCS adapter becomes available, I'll buy it.
Where's the joke?

The joke, was someone saying " I will wait till a dozen people buy the unknown knockoff adapter before I try it myself". It didnt have anything to do with the official tesla adapter.

The picture of that chinese adapter confuses me. First, I don’t see the extending safety pin that Tesla has on its adapter, which locks the CCS1 plug and prevents it from being unplugged while charging.

The second, is this one, I don’t know if it means it is identical in function to the Setec brand adapter on the left or that it’s replacing it, and therefore, better than it. (The Setec brand was something else-external battery, firmware updates, and no safety unplug lock).

E2FA2D2A-FCCF-4403-BBAD-89B570A725F3.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
The picture of that chinese adapter confuses me. First, I don’t see the extending safety pin that Tesla has on its adapter, which locks the CCS1 plug and prevents it from being unplugged while charging.

The second, is this one, I don’t know if it means it is identical in function to the Setec brand adapter on the left or that it’s replacing it, and therefore, better than it. (The Setec brand was something else-external battery, firmware updates, and no safety unplug lock).

View attachment 833083

I think the implication is that this one is newer and better. I agree that the lack of a safety latch is a risk, though, and its probably not the only risk with this device.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
I can see these being available in places other than N/A since CCS1 is everywhere else. I really don't think Tesla would blindly be selling these adapters here because it will eat into their wink wink nod nod non profit Super Chargers profit.

I don't believe they have ever said the SC's are non-profit. It's a revenue stream they can use just like any other.
Actually they did say exactly that:
"Furthermore, it will result in more vehicles under the company’s paid Supercharging program, which Tesla insists will not be used as a profit center but to finance the expansion of the Supercharger network."

And you could argue that they need to make profit on it to invest in the expansion which was true up until now but we also know they are trying to get free grant money from the government for that purpose moving forward so as taxpayers we will be already financing that expansion.

I just hope Tesla will start selling the adapter here once they open the SC network to CCS cars. If not they will get some very angry owners as some stations you already have to wait in line to charge.

Last edited:
I just hope Tesla will start selling the adapter here once they open the SC network to CCS cars. If not they will get some very angry owners as some stations you already have to wait in line to charge.
If you look at how Tesla opened the Supercharger network in Europe you will notice that they only opened the under utilized stations. The ones that have high usage/wait times weren't opened to all the other EVs.

• Informative
Reactions: Exelion and Jeff N

View attachment 833083
Setec isn't even CCS passthrough. It talks CCS to the charger and looks like a CHAdeMO adapter to the car.

• Informative
Reactions: jsight and tps5352
If you look at how Tesla opened the Supercharger network in Europe you will notice that they only opened the under utilized stations. The ones that have high usage/wait times weren't opened to all the other EVs.
That is true except once that station is open they don't seem to be limiting that access once it becomes full, as far as I can tell there is no priority for Tesla cars on those stations even when they do get full. And as you know Tesla's in europe already have CCS2 ports so the same approach in US just will not work unless Tesla owners will get access to CCS adapters.

Reactions: jsight
I can see these being available in places other than N/A since CCS1 is everywhere else. I really don't think Tesla would blindly be selling these adapters here because it will eat into their wink wink nod nod non profit Super Chargers profit.
I don't believe they have ever said the SC's are non-profit. It's a revenue stream they can use just like any other.
They are non-profit. If you isolate the SC's from the rest of Tesla they are a net money loser. There are few charge networks that are actually profitable, especially ones with high availability like Tesla. To be profitable there usually needs to be less stalls per station, so that utilization is high, but that leads to a poor user experience.

I haven’t seen evidence either way, but I do find this hard to believe. It’s just not sustainable to be keeping the chargers running by only selling cars. Especially since more Superchargers are popping up every few days!
It is sustainable if you put supercharger network expansion costs as a line item on vehicle cost (with it equivalent to advertising/marketing costs that are usually spent by other car companies).

Previously they allocated $500 per vehicle when superchargers were "free". With around 1 million sales that amount would give about $500 million for supercharger network expenses and expansion.
[Rant] locals clogging the Highland Park, IL supercharger

For the same reason, Tesla had been waiting for automakers to chip in upfront before allowing other cars to access the network. Now as an alternative, they are getting money from the federal government upfront (which accomplishes the same thing). Before this Tesla resisted given unlike how some people claim, running a charge network that has high availability is very much not profitable once you figure in the installation costs (so it makes zero sense to open entire network to other brands unless they chip in upfront, not just pay per use).

As an example you can do some math for the closest network: Electrify America, which is not quite as high availability as Tesla (does not have as much stalls and is expanding slower than Tesla).
In 2021, they spent $256M. They sold 41.4 GWh. Although they don't list revenue, you can estimate for their max rate of $0.43/kWh (it's $0.31/kWh for members, but let's ignore) and get $17M in revenue. They are a very long way from being profitable and keeping up with their expansion expenditures.
https://media.electrifyamerica.com/...l/872-2021AnnualReportNationalPublicFINAL.pdf

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tps5352 and MP3Mike