Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it’s not a legit Tesla adapter and it seems like they are starting off the wrong foot and lying.

150A and 150kW. Big LOL. Looks like a copycat of something we already have.
in their defense it does say third party adapter on the description. I am hoping i'm in the second batch of a2z but i just ordered this week so who knows. also in no rush as i don't have anything planned trip wise that i would need or might want to try it until late September.

anyone here order a CCS adapter from this site? TESLA OEM CCS1 Charging Adapter

curious if they actually sell an authentic Tesla adapter
They certainly claim it and show it in the official Tesla box. In fact, it goes by quickly but it's not clear this is even the Korean box and labeling, ie. it's like a US packaging. They also claim they ship it directly from the manufacturer to you. The official manufacturer is Tesla but of course it's made by some subcontractor and maybe they were able to buy up a bunch. It is amusing that they say the original price is $900 but they have it for $500 when of course it has not been for sale in the USA, which is fishy.

They certainly claim it and show it in the official Tesla box. In fact, it goes by quickly but it's not clear this is even the Korean box and labeling, ie. it's like a US packaging. They also claim they ship it directly from the manufacturer to you. The official manufacturer is Tesla but of course it's made by some subcontractor and maybe they were able to buy up a bunch. It is amusing that they say the original price is $900 but they have it for $500 when of course it has not been for sale in the USA, which is fishy.
Definitely looks like the OEM. Including the pin thingy which the knockoffs like the one we have don’t have. It’s also double the money though. Interesting.

Definitely looks like the OEM. Including the pin thingy which the knockoffs like the one we have don’t have. It’s also double the money though. Interesting.
The question is where are they getting them? Seems like from whoever makes them in Taiwan for Tesla. Why can they get them? $500 is of course a lot more than Tesla will eventually sell for in the USA (I estimate from $200 to $250.) But it should make fewer people willing to pay $800 to $1,000 for used CHAdeMO and Korean CCS1 adapters on ebay -- unless they are unaware of it.

We're now seeing a variety of aftermarket adapters as well which will eventually drop in price, and even Harumio selling one. In theory the bottom should fall out of the market for all of these the day that Tesla starts stocking them which makes it a risky business. (CdM and SETEC will sell for a bit to people with gen 3 charge controllers.)

Most lack the locking pin. I am trying to understand what it does. Normally the adapter is locked in the Tesla while charging, and the clip that locks a CCS plug onto the adapter cuts power if it is released. What does the pin do? Is it there in case the clip is broken on the CCS charger?

The question is where are they getting them? Seems like from whoever makes them in Taiwan for Tesla. Why can they get them? $500 is of course a lot more than Tesla will eventually sell for in the USA (I estimate from $200 to $250.) But it should make fewer people willing to pay $800 to $1,000 for used CHAdeMO and Korean CCS1 adapters on ebay -- unless they are unaware of it.

We're now seeing a variety of aftermarket adapters as well which will eventually drop in price, and even Harumio selling one. In theory the bottom should fall out of the market for all of these the day that Tesla starts stocking them which makes it a risky business. (CdM and SETEC will sell for a bit to people with gen 3 charge controllers.)

Most lack the locking pin. I am trying to understand what it does. Normally the adapter is locked in the Tesla while charging, and the clip that locks a CCS plug onto the adapter cuts power if it is released. What does the pin do? Is it there in case the clip is broken on the CCS charger?
Maybe. Not sure. But I can tell you with our A2Z knockoff the adaptor and CCS handle don’t come apart easy. It clicks in and I’m pretty sure anyone who is watching me pull it apart after charging thinks I am seriously constipated if they are looking at my facial expressions.

And as long as it is charging it is locked to the car. Or if the doors are locked.

And as soon as you push the button on the CCS handle the charging stops.

Any way, it works fine at half the price.

Jmho.

I think it's to prevent you from grabbing the connector, quickly pushing the lever, and pulling the connector out before it can shut off the power. I've actually done this on a level 2/J1772 connector before, and I could smell the ozone from the arcing because I pulled the connector out before the EVSE could react by shutting off the power. And AC doesn't arc nearly as easily as DC does because AC voltage crosses 0 50-60 times per second...

• Informative
Reactions: jsight

The pin makes it so the car must release the adapter from the car before you can disconnect the CCS cable from the adapter. This part of the CCS standard, the vehicle side is supposed to have a lock actuator that is responsible for keeping the CCS cable locked until the vehicle deems it is safe to release the cable. This is to prevent arcing and also a situation where there is live DC still exposed on the pins.
More details here:
Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

When using an adapter without this lock or a CCS charger with a broken latch, you should always wait until the charging session is fully stopped and when you can disconnect the adapter from the vehicle, then disconnect adapter from CCS cable. Never directly disconnect the CCS cable from the adapter before the adapter can be released from the vehicle.

The pin makes it so the car must release the adapter from the car before you can disconnect the CCS cable from the adapter. This part of the CCS standard, the vehicle side is supposed to have a lock actuator that is responsible for keeping the CCS cable locked until the vehicle deems it is safe to release the cable. This is to prevent arcing and also a situation where there is live DC still exposed on the pins.
More details here:
Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

When using an adapter without this lock or a CCS charger with a broken latch, you should always wait until the charging session is fully stopped and when you can disconnect the adapter from the vehicle, then disconnect adapter from CCS cable. Never directly disconnect the CCS cable from the adapter before the adapter can be released from the vehicle.
Good info. Thanks.

I think it’s important to mention that Harumio seems to have managed a way to copy A2Z’s adapter. When I looks at A2Z EV SHOP instagram page, they started advertising their adapter the 7th of July of this year. I don’t think it’s logic we support an overseas company over a an North American company. Some of you are going to say too bad, they needed to make a patent for this not to happen. I know you’re right. But Harumio knows what about electronics? They know what about Tesla’s? Are we waiting until we get some crap adapters on the market that could hurt our children, our wives or husbands? This is catastrophic. They have no video whatsoever, no pictures, no testings. NOTHING.

This is getting out of hands for the sake of what? Having more options or cheaper rates? I’m not sacrificing the reliability of my car or safety of my fellow Tesla owners for some adapter without any prior testings or background.
Harumio helped us with OFFICIAL Tesla adapters and I was one of their customers. They got it from Tesla SK, the real company. They are selling mangas, Kpop and Kdrama things nothing else.

I may need a Snicker lol but we aren’t driving old 99 Toyota Corollas with aftermarket xenons. Can we stop supporting any company that has no background and no real life testings on their products.

When the day a Tesla is going to burn because we bought an adapter that haven’t been tested we’re all going to regret it. I like Harumio they helped us with the OEM thing but that’s it. I will support any other company that brings to us tested and safe products. Not just A2Z.

Attachments

• 2F837B08-FAA6-43A8-9E27-034E918407A8.jpeg
    2F837B08-FAA6-43A8-9E27-034E918407A8.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 159
I think it’s important to mention that Harumio seems to have managed a way to copy A2Z’s adapter. When I looks at A2Z EV SHOP instagram page, they started advertising their adapter the 7th of July of this year. I don’t think it’s logic we support an overseas company over a an North American company. Some of you are going to say too bad, they needed to make a patent for this not to happen. I know you’re right. But Harumio knows what about electronics? They know what about Tesla’s? Are we waiting until we get some crap adapters on the market that could hurt our children, our wives or husbands? This is catastrophic. They have no video whatsoever, no pictures, no testings. NOTHING.

This is getting out of hands for the sake of what? Having more options or cheaper rates? I’m not sacrificing the reliability of my car or safety of my fellow Tesla owners for some adapter without any prior testings or background.
Harumio helped us with OFFICIAL Tesla adapters and I was one of their customers. They got it from Tesla SK, the real company. They are selling mangas, Kpop and Kdrama things nothing else.

I may need a Snicker lol but we aren’t driving old 99 Toyota Corollas with aftermarket xenons. Can we stop supporting any company that has no background and no real life testings on their products.

When the day a Tesla is going to burn because we bought an adapter that haven’t been tested we’re all going to regret it. I like Harumio they helped us with the OEM thing but that’s it. I will support any other company that brings to us tested and safe products. Not just A2Z.
Well A2Z is not the first to a block style CCS1 to TPC adapter, EVHub in Ukraine, had one a long time ago.
Tesla US CCS1/CCS2 (400A)

I'm not sure it is patentable, given it uses Tesla's proprietary connector and without Tesla's permission, I don't see how anyone can get their own patent for it (manufacturers are lucky that Tesla isn't enforcing any patent claims).

Well A2Z is not the first to a block style CCS1 to TPC adapter, EVHub in Ukraine, had one a long time ago.
Tesla US CCS1/CCS2 (400A)

I'm not sure it is patentable, given it uses Tesla's proprietary connector and without Tesla's permission, I don't see how anyone can get their own patent for it (manufacturers are lucky that Tesla isn't enforcing any patent claims).
Yes I wish them best of luck to start producing again, they brought something nice into the market. Unfortunately the war is not helping.

It wouldn't have been hard to get chinese knock offs of the a2z adapter as it is made in china. But i don't disagree with you which is why i went with the a2z and cancelled my tesplus order. I would rather wait it out and see if some of the knock offs are no problem.

Trying to order the Tesla OEM CCS1 adapter through Harumio custom order. We'll see if Tesla korea really checks the VIN now to see if you can order one or if it's still through your normal tesla account.

I can see the aftermarket adapter for sale on the Harumio site, but I thought that the OEM Tesla adapter was "sold out" there? Regardless, hope it works for you.