Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps what is overlooked is convenience. I haven't tried it yet, but it appears that I can get from here to my daughter's in Denver super charging all the way. But there is an EA on the way from the hotel where we usually stay to her house. And there is one just beyond. I can go a few miles back east and hit a super charger but why? When I can use the CCS1 and not waste my precious time left here on earth. There is a local gas station right down my street. About 1/4 mile. At the post office where I pick up my mail (we don't have delivery, all PO boxes). They are usually a good .10 more than the ones in town which are 3.5-5 miles away. I often would fill up there and pay extra rather than drive another 15 or so minutes round trip.

My PPF guy loaned me his aftermarket CCS1 adapter last week which is almost a look-alike of the Harumio adapter linked in the OP. He doesn’t want to tell me what brand and pricing it has, but just wanted me to test it if it “works” as he plan on selling it soon, due to the absence of the OEM Tesla CCS1 adapter in the market.

So I went to this newly-opened Porsche dealership that has a L3 Supercharger with a CCS1 plug - perfect! With a 28% SOC it began pulling close to 150kW and up to 365A! It just took 27 minutes and three seconds before I reached my 80% charge limit. I was anxious at first using a 3rd-party adapter with my bnew Tesla but common sense dictates it should be good as it doesn’t feel like a flimsy product - it is very hefty and looks like a well-designed product. The CCS1 adapter didn’t even felt warm in any stage of the charging so I’m pretty confident to recommend this to my friends.

Here’s some photos that I took.

• Informative
Reactions: upinatem and Jeff N
Unless you go to visit your "family" "long distance trip" all the time (3-4 times a week) or exclusively rely on DCFC, having the CCS1 adapter is a "nice thing to have", not necessity.
Nope. For us it’s a complete no go. Dead stop without a CCS adapter or Chademo adapter. Unless we just want to not go to those areas…which is not an option.

Everybody has different situations.

Reactions: DanDi58 and 804son
Unless you go to visit your "family" "long distance trip" all the time (3-4 times a week) or exclusively rely on DCFC, having the CCS1 adapter is a "nice thing to have", not necessity.
I certainly never used the word necessity and don't remember others using it either

what I said was:

Perhaps what is overlooked is convenience.

Perhaps overlooked again?

-------------- edit ------------------

stand corrected. It is a necessity at least for @Webeevdrivers

But the rest of we slackers think convenience is worth it as well

• Funny
Reactions: 804son and Hiline
Not sure why everyone is so hyped up on buying the CCS1 adapter.
Most people charge at home and Not many people take long road trips every week. Not many people have no access to Superchargers along their routes. Not having the CCS1 adapter impacts almost nobody negatively.
This looks like the same toilet paper craziness thing during the beginning of the pandemic that people bought those TPs crazy saying "just in case" and that "just in case" never happened.
Get one and you will see. On a road trip it's like they installed thousands of new superchargers, like your car just got more range. Less range anxiety, more ability to take unplanned detours and know you will find charging in time.

At home, not much change for those who can charge at home. This is for road trippers. Or for those who can't charge at home or work it does offer new options -- that depends case by case on who you are.

Get one and you will see. On a road trip it's like they installed thousands of new superchargers, like your car just got more range. Less range anxiety, more ability to take unplanned detours and know you will find charging in time.
And with the CCS network set to supposedly triple or so in the next three years with government funding, that's only going to be more true.