Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered the Amazon one above
Looks like Chinese copy from China

I got one of the China CCS adapters and tried it out. It worked great! I’m just using for a backup so having it capped at 150kw is fine with me.
Note, given they are a passive adapter, they are not capped at 150kW. The car will happily go to higher power levels. You can only hope they built enough margin for it to safety handle that or that the car's thermal sensors kick in before anything bad happens (for they built in an actual thermal fuse, which so far they so no direct evidence of).

Reactions: jsight and MP3Mike
what is a CCS adapter and why should one get it

Reactions: B3stswat
Sorry I am new to the game, what is a CCS adapter and why should one get it?

As you probably know, electric cars can charge using AC 120- or 240-volt outlets (in homes & businesses). This tends to be relatively “slow” and is good for, say, overnight or daytime at-work charging when there is plenty of down-time..

However, when traveling any significant distances, drivers often want faster full-charging speed (e.g., ~1 hr or less), so on-the-road travel chargers tend to be powerful DC fast chargers.

Fortunately, Tesla drivers can access arguably the best DC charging network: the TESLA Supercharger Network. In contrast, almost all other electric cars in North America use Combined Charging System Type 1 (CCS1) equipment (several providers, including VW's Electrify America) for fast DC charging. Together Tesla and CCS1 stations offer good coverage in most well-traveled areas throughout North America. However, there are reportedly locations where CCS1 stations are more convenient. And unfortunately, Superchargers and CCS1 chargers use different cable plugs, so a Tesla car cannot use a CCS1 charging station without assistance.

A CCS1 adapter allows CCS1 charging station cables to attach to the North American Tesla proprietary charging port. This greatly increases overall accessible to high-speed DC charging equipment and helps alleviate real or imagined “range anxiety” (which electric-car operators, used to the historic over-abundance of readily-available gasoline filling stations, can suffer).

Should someone get a CCS1 adapter?
  • Average drivers (e.g., ~45miles per day) probably don’t need one; but many want one (“just in case”).
  • Some are fortunate to be close to free or cheap CCS1 charging locations. An adapter certainly makes sense for them.
  • Distance travelers should probably have one for circumstances where Superchargers are absent or congested.
  • A good CCS1 adapter can certainly be a welcome addition to one's charging "tool kit;" safely stored in the trunk for convenience and emergencies, along with the AC Mobile Connector and its various wall outlet plug-adapters.
To date there have been a few on-the-road charging adapters (usable in North American cars) sold by Tesla:
- the J1772 adapter (AC; still provided with every new car);​
- the (odd) CHAdeMO (DC; no longer sold); and now​
- the Korean CCS1 DC adapter (hopefully "soon" to be readily available in North America).​

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for Tesla charging equipment to be sold out or otherwise unavailable for extended periods. For those instances there are also third-party-made versions of charging adapters.

Note that cars made before 2020 (and during a June-October chip-shortage period in 2021) may not have CCS charging capability. Drivers can now check CCS status on the software screen from the car: (a) center touchscreen; (b) software screen; (c) additional vehicle information box. Do-it-yourself hardware retrofits are potentially possible for some cars, and Tesla may offer official service retrofits (as was done in Europe). Stayed tuned about that.

I recommend that you use the TMC Forum site to study up on the issues (e.g., type of charging adapters needed/wanted; Tesla vs. third-party products; etc.).

For example, I have created several threads dealing with the nuts and bolts of Tesla charging equipment. Here is a start:
PS -- I developed this simplistic line drawing for another post, but it will help illustrate the use of a CCS1 adapter here (for those new to the whole thing). In particular, note how the CCS plug-handle (on the right side) is a big (ugly) thing (true for CCS2 in Europe, also) whereas the Tesla TPC (proprietary connector) plug(-part of the adapter) is a relatively slender, easy-to-handle, cylindrical object.*

In short, the CCS1 adapter allows you to go from the big CCS1 plug-handle to the elegant Tesla TPC port.

Diagram of CCS1 Charging - 3.jpg
_____
* Of course the whole Tesla CCS1 adapter is kind of bulky; but way better than CHAdeMO or even SETEC CCS1 adapters. The Tesla TPC plug itself--found at the business ends of Supercharger, Wall Connector, and Mobile Connector cables--is a thing of beauty, to my eyes. There is a whole story about how back in the early 2000s the nascent Tesla company tried to play nicely with others (e.g., GM, VW, etc.) and develop a universal charging port-plug standard. But Tesla was snubbed by the old guard (who knew "better"). So Tesla went off by itself and developed a really elegant, simple design that handles both North American AC and DC charging. Meanwhile the 800lb auto gorillas (who, to be fair, had to deal with multiple international governments, electrical infrastructures, and regulatory organizations) came up with the CCS systems (Type 1 in North America and Asia; Type 2 in Europe and Oceania). Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view), as time goes on it appears that Tesla is gradually being pressured to incorporate CCS charging technology back into its cars. Yet today we still have at least three major international electric-car charging standards (standards for China, North America, and Europe/Oceania). As batteries get bigger/more efficient and charging equipment faster/more powerful, will we ever see a universal charging standard?

Last edited: