Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As you probably know, electric cars can charge using AC 120- or 240-volt outlets (in homes & businesses). This tends to be relatively “slow” and is good for, say, overnight or daytime at-work charging when there is plenty of down-time..

However, when traveling any significant distances, drivers often want faster full-charging speed (e.g., ~1 hr or less), so on-the-road travel chargers tend to be powerful DC fast chargers.

Now Tesla drivers can access arguably the best DC charging network: the TESLA Supercharger Network.

In contrast, almost all other electric cars in North America use Combined Charging System Type 1 (CCS1) equipment (several providers) for fast DC charging.

Together Tesla and CCS1 stations offer relatively good coverage in well-traveled areas throughout North America. However, there are apparently areas where CCS1 stations are more convenient. And unfortunately, Superchargers and CCS1 chargers use different cable plugs, so a Tesla car cannot use a CCS1 charging station without assistance.

A CCS1 adapter allows CCS1 charging station cables to attach to the Tesla proprietary charging port. This increases accessible to high-speed DC charging equipment and helps alleviate real or imagined “charge anxiety” (which electric-car drivers, used to the over-abundance of gasoline filling stations, can suffer).

Should someone get a CCS1 adapter?
  • Average drivers (e.g., ~45miles per day) probably don’t need one; but many want one (“just in case”).
  • Distance travelers should probably have one for circumstances where Superchargers are absent or congested.
  • A good CCS1 adapter can certainly be a healthy part of one's charging "tool kit;" safely stored in the trunk for convenience and emergencies, along with the AC Mobile Connector and its various wall outlet plug-adapters.
So far there have been a few on-the-road charging adapters (usable in North American cars) sold by Tesla:
- the J1772 adapter (AC; provided with every new car);​
- the (odd) CHAdeMO (DC; no longer sold); and now​
- the Korean CCS1 DC adapter.​

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for Tesla charging equipment to be sold out or otherwise unavailable. For those instances there are also third-party-made versions of charging adapters.

One important note: Cars made before 2020 (and during a chip-shortage period in 2021) are not compatible with CCS technology. Drivers can check CCS status on the software screen in the car ([a] Center touchscreen; Software screen; [c] Additional Vehicle Information box). Do-it-yourself hardware retrofits are potentially possible for some cars, and Tesla may offer official service retrofits (as was done in Europe). Stayed tuned about that.

I recommend that you use the TMC Forum site to study up on the issues (type of charging adapters needed/wanted; Tesla vs. third-party products; etc.).

For example, I have created several threads dealing with the nuts and bolts of Tesla charging equipment. Here is a start:

Exquisite explanation, thank you for that!

Reactions: tps5352
Uncanny resemblance to OEM. This explains the open box adapter I got and the returned on Ebay as a bait and switch advertised as new. The label was gently sideways, perfectly stamped plastics. No thank you, waiting until Harum.io resumes the sale of Taiwan made Tesla OEMs of Tesla starts US sales.
but why? they are all passive chargers, literally the same thing just in different shells.....

Should someone get a CCS1 adapter?
  • Average drivers (e.g., ~45miles per day) probably don’t need one; but many want one (“just in case”).
  • Some are fortunate to be close to free or cheap CCS1 charging locations. An adapter certainly makes sense for them.
  • Distance travelers should probably have one for circumstances where Superchargers are absent or congested.
  • A good CCS1 adapter can certainly be a welcome addition to one's charging "tool kit;" safely stored in the trunk for convenience and emergencies, along with the AC Mobile Connector and its various wall outlet plug-adapters.
I have the Tesla CCS1 adapter from Korea.

You are missing an increasingly relevant reason to get an adapter.

Electrify America and others have competing Superchargers all over the US and Canada. I’ve charged in Texas, New Mexico, Colorado at multiple locations. A lot of these are at Walmart, Sams, and Target where there are bathrooms,a wide selection of food and drinks, etc.

Usually EA is less expensive. Sometimes EA is half what Tesla is. I have had charge speeds well over 200 kW so there is usually no speed disadvantage.

Having price competition will be key for us as consumers.

Having an adapter isn’t just adding more charge locations, it’s being able to pick and choose based on convenience, amenities like good bathrooms, price, and location. Competition will make vendors choose better and better locations for us.

When located at membership clubs I.e. SAM’s, COSTCO’s, BJ’s etc can you enter the and use their rest rooms and grab something to eat without being a member? Has Tesla worked out some agreement?

Will the Tesla nav system eventually display non Tesla DCFC stations, pre-condition and display stall usage as well? That would be icing on the cake.

but why? they are all passive chargers, literally the same thing just in different shells.....
You don't know if they cheaped out on materials (there are tons of different plastics and metals), if the assembly process was done well, if the molds they use are good and accurate. So no, they are not literally the same thing (in fact a lot of third party ones are missing the pin the OEM one has).

For product that only is cosmetic or isn't subject to much physical stress that probably doesn't matter. But this is talking about an adapter that passes through 500A+ DC, much more than practically any type of consumer adapter (whether for signals or power).

This is putting aside it's outright fraud to put a clone into an OEM box and claim it's an open box if what the post you are responding to is true. Any clones need to make it clear they are not an OEM product.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
When located at membership clubs I.e. SAM’s, COSTCO’s, BJ’s etc can you enter the and use their rest rooms and grab something to eat without being a member? Has Tesla worked out some agreement?

Will the Tesla nav system eventually display non Tesla DCFC stations, pre-condition and display stall usage as well? That would be icing on the cake.
At Costco, you don’t need to be a member to use the food court, or bathrooms in general. Just walk in.

Just for analogy, as Tesla CCS are relatively new, have this adapter also, the humble Tesla OEM 50kW ChadeMo teardown by another member here, check out how "passive" the 12 microprocessors look:
2016-01-20 16.47.49-1920.jpg

IMHO, better safe than to become another car fire poster boy for the haters on r/RealTesla.

Just for a follow up on my earlier post on a bait and switch Ebay order I returend and got refunded for, don't hesitate to contact and make lowball offers to the OEM CCS scalpers on Ebay, making sure to reference the "completed listings" "sold" advanced search selling prices. Appears some have these sitting around for the environ of $1000 for weeks, I did and got a "fair" $250 markup over Tesla Korea Shop pricing, will post when new adapter arrives.

Last edited:
Just for analogy, as Tesla CCS are relatively new, have this adapter also, the humble Tesla OEM 50kW ChadeMo teardown by another member here, check out how "passive" the 12 microprocessors look:
View attachment 851498
IMHO, better safe than to become another car fire poster boy for the haters on r/RealTesla.

Just for a follow up on my earlier post on a bait and switch Ebay order I returend and got refunded for, don't hesitate to contact and make lowball offers to the OEM CCS scalpers on Ebay, making sure to reference the "completed listings" "sold" advanced search selling prices. Appears some have these sitting around for the environ of $1000 for weeks, I did and got a "fair" $250 markup over Tesla Korea Shop pricing, will post when new adapter arrives.
Yes, but the Chademo adapter was doing something entirely different than the CCS adapter which is a pass-through.

Look what just sold in ebay!

Interesting, that looks like a Hansshow adapter box but it looks like a Tesla adapter (see the dimples) in the box.. It does look like the seller did sell an Tesla one on their sold listings, it seems kind of sketchy, hope for the best.

Have to be more careful with eBay listings moving forward as some people might not noticed the difference between the clone and the real adapter and might get screwed.

Sad. Sad because you can almost be sure that the buyer thought he/she was buying the original Tesla product.

Oh well, buyer beware!

This is increasingly Tesla's fault for dragging its collective feet on getting the CCS1 adapter released in North America. What is the freaking holdup?

Reactions: gcsutton

I "successfully" sold mine for $700 on eBay but then the buyer cancelled the purchase, this may or may not have actually been a completed sale. I think the buyer was just trying to take down the listing... like how people were bidding on video cards during the pandemic to mess with the scalpers. Keeping my adapter now.

I "successfully" sold mine for $700 on eBay but then the buyer cancelled the purchase, this may or may not have actually been a completed sale. I think the buyer was just trying to take down the listing... like how people were bidding on video cards during the pandemic to mess with the scalpers. Keeping my adapter now.
Let me know if you are interested in selling, I might be interested depending on the price (willing to overpay but not at $700 though)...

Sad. Sad because you can almost be sure that the buyer thought he/she was buying the original Tesla product.

Oh well, buyer beware!

This is increasingly Tesla's fault for dragging its collective feet on getting the CCS1 adapter released in North America. What is the freaking holdup?

I can't believe I am saying this but my coworker fell victim to this seller.

My coworker bought the listing from this seller that showed OEM box and description and I was talking to him about it today as I had my suspicions since the seller listed this hansshow one and so I told him to ask for more photos and luckily before they had shipped it he asked for more photos and as we had expected the photos showed that it was the hannshow one even though an OEM box and description were listed. Weird though the seller states they have both OEM and Hansshow ones...

Hope he is able to get a refund, what a hassle that Tesla has created.

Reactions: fiehlsport
...I can't believe I am saying this but my coworker fell victim to this seller.

My coworker bought the listing from this seller that showed OEM box and description and I was talking to him about it today as I had my suspicions since the seller listed this hansshow one and so I told him to ask for more photos and luckily before they had shipped it he asked for more photos and as we had expected the photos showed that it was the hannshow one even though an OEM box and description were listed. Weird though the seller states they have both OEM and Hansshow ones...

Hope he is able to get a refund, what a hassle that Tesla has created.

I (and many other people) have filed successful requests for full refunds before with eBay, pointing out that an advertised item was not as portrayed or described. eBay should refund the full amount. Tell your co-worker to be sure to take screenshots of the original ad and to send those along with photos of the Hansshow product. Should be a slam dunk.