Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS for Model 3 in North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

ccs combo 1 adaptor to ccs combo 2 exist it is passive adaptor so if the north america model 3 use css protocol in back end it mater of do passive adapter

I contact the compagny produce ccs combo 1 adaptor to ccs combo 2 they say they could develop the adapter is they have order of 100 of those futur adapter

on the website you find the contact info
CCS1 to CCS2 Adapter - EV Plug - ShenZhen SETEC Power Co., Ltd.

seb

• Informative
Reactions: TheMrX
Dear fellow Canadians,

I decided to reach Tesla support this morning, by phone, trying to pressure a bit on the North America CCS compatibility issue.

On the my question : ''is there a roadmap/timeline for some kind of adapter for CCS charging for North America?''

The nice lady answered : ''I can't tell you about an exact date, because it hasn't been released yet. BUT what I can tell you, is that we are working on one, so yeah, it will be available this year, but I can't tell you exactly when''

Dear Lady, she just made my day!

As one of those fellow Canadians, this is fantastic news.

I'm happy to pay for the hardware upgrade on my 2017 MS 100d. In case Tesla Corporate is reading this, I'd also gladly pay for MCU2. As has already been suggested elsewhere, this would ideally happen while I'm getting my FSD upgrade, and then it wouldn't be a money loss to do that upgrade.

My NEMA14-50 plug at home does 32A at 240V, so about 8kW which adds 47km/hr. I would be happy with anything that was significantly faster than that in the charger desert that is North Dakota. 50kW by that calculation would be over 6 times faster... almost tolerable for cross-country if you had no other choices.

(But yes, over an hour for a decent charge is not good...)

Not sure where you're heading from Winnipeg in North Dakota, but there's a Chademo in Fargo that works awesome and gets me from Winnipeg to the Supercharger network. Last time I was there (Christmas) there were a bunch more Chademos (and CCS) under construction. Hopefully soon, just like the TransCanada Highway.

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
:rolleyes: They shut them down for a few days while they were investigating a potential safety issue with the cables. They have long been turned on again.
Source? They recently reported that 100 locations are now operational, and a total of about 480 are in various stages of construction.

And, BTW, a station in your neck of the woods (Providence) will open in summer. Given that there is only a single supercharger location in RI, you should be happy about that.

Why would I be happy that the dieselgate criminals might open something near Providence? My Tesla doesn't speak CCS, and I haven't sprung for a SlowDeMO adapter yet. I might get one traveling to Canada, but in the US seems pointless.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyberShy
I’ve been looking at a couple roadtrip paths here from Montreal QC and its really not easy with a Standard range to go far. I cant wait for Tesla to release this adapter. In fact, it’s currently a reason to not buy a Tesla unless you have another vehicle for roadtrips in my area.

Where Musk mentions expanding the SC network and adding other-network adapters... "over time"

So the folks waiting since 2017 for Model 3 adapters in the US can...keep waiting.
Yep.. just stating the time where he talks about it that was referred to a couple posts up. If it comes in a month or 3 years... no one knows. There’s no hard commitment. But it’s more information and shows that they have the intention of enabling that compatibility with other chargers. As for the fact that folks have been waiting since 2017, i personally dont think it means anything on the future timeline. Lets see what happens.

Yep.. just stating the time where he talks about it that was referred to a couple posts up. If it comes in a month or 3 years... no one knows. There’s no hard commitment. But it’s more information and shows that they have the intention of enabling that compatibility with other chargers. As for the fact that folks have been waiting since 2017, i personally dont think it means anything on the future timeline. Lets see what happens.

It's not that they've been waiting since 2017- it's that Tesla was telling the same "coming soon" story in 2017.

Thats news to me. I’m a new Tesla owner since last week. Didn't know they were saying the same thing 2 years ago. We’ll see... or wont hehe
A CCS adapter wouldn't have made much sense 2 years ago since there weren't many chargers. But things have changed, both in Europe and in North America. And we now know that a CCS adapter is technically feasible, which wasn't so obvious before Tesla's switch to CCS in Europe was announced.

Reactions: Zoomit
A CCS adapter wouldn't have made much sense 2 years ago since there weren't many chargers. But things have changed, both in Europe and in North America. And we now know that a CCS adapter is technically feasible, which wasn't so obvious before Tesla's switch to CCS in Europe was announced.

But also note that Tesla had to make a hardware change to the chargeport to make the adapter possible - which they've now done.