Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center display unavailable message, but everything works fine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this happened today. What a bummer cause I was running late for a party.

I did the reboot a few times and it did show the T logo after I tapped on the screen but then it seemed to hang so I did another reboot.
Also I thought that 12v bar battery might be low since I did get a warning a few weeks ago (but it went away), and the symptom looks like it's got not enough power? So decided to get the 12v charger just to see what the voltage was. As I was preparing the 12v charger/jump starter, it came back up fully (maybe I wasn't patient enough cause I was running late)?
I decided to plug in the 12v charger/ jumpstarter anyway and the 12v battery had 12.5-13.2 v with about 70-80% charged.

The error (center display unavailable) didn't go away even after a couple more reboots so we decided to not risk using the car for the night.

When I came back tonight the center display unavailable went away.

One method to try to fix the "Center Display Unavailable" is by disconnecting the fireman loop and the 12v battery. Wait about 20 seconds (maybe a bit longer, can't hurt) and reconnect in the reverse order. This forces the MCU (and all subsystems/processes) to completely power cycle which has fixed this display error for me in the past. Good luck.

Unfortunately, I cannot say for certain the error means the MCU needs replacing. I had the error, forced the power cycle, and haven't had the problem since; this was over a year ago.

Just received the center display unavailable message last night. After soft reboot, the display became available but the message did not go away.
I was able to drive today and the center display worked fine. The message hasn't gone away. I'll wait awhile to see if it fixes itself and contact service next week if it doesn't.

I got this today. Wife was at work, and called me saying the app doesn't connect. The center display was black, and there was a text on the instrument panel saying the center display is unavailable. The scroll wheel reset rebooted the center display and everything seems fine. But the message in the instrument panel doesn't go away, not even after four-finger reboot.