Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter wait frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are now about 160 quick-charge stations, mostly on the West Coast and in Texas; Nissan hopes to add another 500 new stations over the next 18 months....

At the end of June, we'll have 26 sites x (8 avg?) = 208 supercharger ports covering ~12 large cities. CHAdeMO will still be at ~160 ports also covering about 12 cities (albeit different ones).

6 months after that we'll have 111 sites x 8 = 888 supercharger ports covering over > 50 cities. In fact, at that point there will only be 5 remaining points that CHAdeMO covers that won't be also covered by a SuperCharger (WA: Highway 2 & Astoria, OR: 101 & 126, TN: Nashville).

And by the time Nissan is done with their new 500 CHAdeMO ports (18 months), Tesla will be at 200 sites, with "2000 to 3000 ports", covering all of the U.S.

I think for a CHAdeMO adapter to happen, CHAdeMO will have to expand into something more significant than it is now.

As a P.R. move however, Tesla should just go and cover those CHAdeMO points that would not be overlapping. Would cost all of $1.5 million dollars. Probably cheaper than the development cost of a U.S. CHAdeMO adapter. (I'm assuming in Japan & Europe CHAdeMO will be a port, not an Adapter).

(Duck).

The short term inconvenience to the early EVs (which haven't been selling well in Europe thus far) is better than inconvenience when the EV market is mature.

In addition to 700 plus CHAdeMO chargers, and virtually zero of the Euro-spec Frankenplug, there are over 10,000 Nissan LEAFs in Europe (and over 25,000 in the USA). I don't have data on the number of Mitsubishi iMiev and their Euro partner clones there, but there are 30,000 worldwide.

You'll quickly note that these numbers are higher than zero, like Frankenplug equipped cars.

- - - Updated - - -

That does not have much to do with the US where the policy is to support both CHAdeMO and SAE going forward (using dual connector stations where possible, CHAdeMO-only for areas that has a large population of CHAdeMO cars to support).

There is no such "US policy". Yes, that would probably be easier if there was, one way or the other, but for better or worse, we will have 3 separate DC charging standards, and I won't be surprised to see some high powered AC three phase charging and inductive (with many standards, no doubt).

Neither SAE, nor GM, dictates DC charging standards in the USA, much to their chagrin. The often repeated exclusion of CHAdeMO in Europe doesn't pass the smell test with 700 plus units in the ground and over ten thousand CHAdeMO cars; still zero/zero of brand F.

^^^
Yep. Leaf has done well in Norway (Best Selling Cars Around The Globe: The Nissan Leaf Found Its Home In Norway | The Truth About Cars). http://www.forbes.com/sites/eco-nomics/2012/05/04/ultra-green-europe-slow-to-buy-electric-vehicles/from a year ago says:
Some 11,563 EVs were sold in Western Europe, with the Mitsubishi MiEV in first place, followed by the Peugeot iON and Citroen C-Zero (I-MiEVs rebranded).
Global Sales of Mitsubishi i-MiEV Exceed 33,000 Units; EV Enters Malaysia as Countrys First Production Electric Vehicle mentions from over 2 months ago mentions 33K units worldwide (which likely includes the rebadged clones).

In addition to 700 plus CHAdeMO chargers, and virtually zero of the Euro-spec Frankenplug, there are over 10,000 Nissan LEAFs in Europe (and over 25,000 in the USA). I don't have data on the number of Mitsubishi iMiev and their Euro partner clones there, but there are 30,000 worldwide.

You'll quickly note that these numbers are higher than zero, like Frankenplug equipped cars.

However, if for whatever reason Tesla chose to release a cheap combo adaptor in the US and then didn't release a CHAdeMO one (or had a very expensive one) then the numbers would change very quickly. I'm still waiting for Tesla to make their plans clear before jumping to any conclusions.

For what it's worth, 35 QuickChargers in the Netherlands will be retrofitted with a 3-phase 63A (43kW) Type 2 outlet next to the CHAdeMO connector. It's unfortunate that Model S can only handle up to 20kW AC 3-phase in Europe, but it's sign that CHAdeMO is loosing grounds.

The Renault ZOE will support 43kW AC and that's one of the reasons they are going for 3-phase AC next to the DC. It won't be too long before there will also be a Type 2 Combo (DC) plug on those chargers.

However, if for whatever reason Tesla chose to release a cheap combo adaptor in the US and then didn't release a CHAdeMO one (or had a very expensive one) then the numbers would change very quickly. I'm still waiting for Tesla to make their plans clear before jumping to any conclusions.

First, there seems to be a trend in this thread of Tesla vs Nissan putting in chargers. So far, only a small percentage of all the CHAdeMO chargers in the world have been Nissan ones. Actually, the Tesla Supercharger existed in the wild before a single Nissan one did.

So, whether Tesla makes a one adapter or the other, or both, or one cheaper than the other doesn't really factor into the build out of CHAdeMO. Sorry if that attacks the Tesla-centric thoughts of many. As long as Nissan is pumping out thousands of LEAFs every month, and those have CHAdeMO ports, there will be more CHAdeMO stations installed, and some of those stations will be installed by Nissan (perhaps in increasingly larger percentage, however).

So, who is going to carry the Frankenplug torch like Tesla and Nissan have each done? If you believe it will be GM, good luck. Maybe BMW, but I doubt it. No other Frankenplug car is announced that I expect would sell in more than "pocket change" volume. So, is government going to pay for Frankenplug stations?

Last edited:
First, there seems to be a trend in this thread of Tesla vs Nissan putting in chargers. So far, only a small percentage of all the CHAdeMO chargers in the world have been Nissan ones. Actually, the Tesla Supercharger existed in the wild before a single Nissan one did.

So, whether Tesla makes a one adapter or the other, or both, or one cheaper than the other doesn't really factor into the build out of CHAdeMO. Sorry if that attacks the Tesla-centric thoughts of many. As long as Nissan is pumping out thousands of LEAFs every month, and those have CHAdeMO ports, there will be more CHAdeMO stations installed, and some of those stations will be installed by Nissan (perhaps in increasingly larger percentage, however).

So, who is going to carry the Frankenplug torch like Tesla and Nissan have each done? If you believe it with be GM, good luck. Maybe BMW, but I doubt it. No other Frankenplug car is announced that I expect would sell in more than "pocket change" volume. So, is government going to pay for Frankenplug stations?

I'm confused as to what you are saying. Obviously Nissan is going to be putting in CHAdeMO stations, but as you say most stations are not installed by them. For other people putting in stations (like blink and other companies), in my possible scenario they will want to capture the Tesla traffic as well as the Leaf traffic, so they will put in dual stations. I can easily see dc charge station deployment increasing in the future and if Tesla creates the demand then dual stations being the norm.

I'm confused as to what you are saying. Obviously Nissan is going to be putting in CHAdeMO stations, but as you say most stations are not installed by them. For other people putting in stations (like blink and other companies), in my possible scenario they will want to capture the Tesla traffic as well as the Leaf traffic, so they will put in dual stations.
Hmm, perhaps there will be triple-plug stations popping up soon?

My biggest beef with current non-Tesla DC infrastructure deployment is that they are all effectively single-plug installs (even the dumb Blink dual-plug units are effectively only a single charger since only one car can charge at a time).

This has serious issues with reliability and availability - Tesla definitely has the far superior approach by installing multiple stations which each can charge multiple cars at the same time. Now if only they'd at least throw a bone to the other EVs out there and also install a few 70A+ J1772 stations (not even free or perhaps give Tesla owners a card which gets them free access). These can serve as further backup units to SuperChargers, fast charging for Roadster owners (who have been left out with the SuperCharger rollout and are feeling abandoned) and help provide EV infrastructure. Tesla wouldn't even have to do this themselves - just partner with another company to do it (hey Tony, this is your opening!).

For what it's worth, 35 QuickChargers in the Netherlands will be retrofitted with a 3-phase 63A (43kW) Type 2 outlet next to the CHAdeMO connector. It's unfortunate that Model S can only handle up to 20kW AC 3-phase in Europe, but it's sign that CHAdeMO is loosing grounds.

The Renault ZOE will support 43kW AC and that's one of the reasons they are going for 3-phase AC next to the DC. It won't be too long before there will also be a Type 2 Combo (DC) plug on those chargers.

I was told about 43 kW support in Europe with twin chargers (22 kW with single charger). That was the reason for equipping the EU Model S with native Type 2 socket instead of using a Tesla-Type 2 cable (that would have been limited to 22 kW). We will know soon...

I'm confused as to what you are saying. Obviously Nissan is going to be putting in CHAdeMO stations, but as you say most stations are not installed by them. For other people putting in stations (like blink and other companies), in my possible scenario they will want to capture the Tesla traffic as well as the Leaf traffic, so they will put in dual stations. I can easily see dc charge station deployment increasing in the future and if Tesla creates the demand then dual stations being the norm.

So, you think there will be side by side Tesla and CHAdeMO installed? To my knowledge, Tesla isn't yet even selling to private parties, and I suspect the price would be beyond nutty if they did. A fully equipped CHAdeMO can be purchased for $15k and up.

Last edited:
So, you think there will be side by side Tesla and CHAdeMO installed. To my knowledge, Tesla isn't yet even selling to private parties, and I suspect the price would be beyond nutty if they did. A fully equipped CHAdeMO can be purchased for $15k and up.

No, I think there will be side by side Chademo and SAE, and since Model S is protocol compatible with SAE you will only need an inexpensive adaptor like the existing J1772 adaptor. A Tesla Chademo adaptor may not be available in the US or very expensive (since it has to do protocol conversion), so to get Teslas to charge they will need to support SAE. I'm not saying this will definitely happen, but I'm guessing this is what Tesla would like to happen because they don't want to support a complicate Chademo adaptor instead of a simple SAE adaptor. They haven't announced anything because at the moment they don't want to distract from the superchargers (since SAE isn't available yet anyway).

No, I think there will be side by side Chademo and SAE, and since Model S is protocol compatible with SAE you will only need an inexpensive adaptor like the existing J1772 adaptor.

Ya, I like how folks throw that out there like a forgone conclusion. The Frankenplulg and Supercharger plugs clearly aren't exactly compatible, as there is that little issue of 4 power pins on a Frankenplug (two AC, two DC) and only two on a Tesla plug. As to price of a adapter high power DC circuit, I can't imagine any will be "cheap". Probably cheaper than a CHAdeMO adapter, but not cheap.

A Tesla Chademo adaptor may not be available in the US or very expensive (since it has to do protocol conversion), so to get Teslas to charge they will need to support SAE. I'm not saying this will definitely happen, but I'm guessing this is what Tesla would like to happen because they don't want to support a complicate Chademo adaptor instead of a simple SAE adaptor.

Like any of these products, if they plan on producing hundreds of THOUSANDS of cars, once they design something, the cost will be amortized over a whole bunch of cars. To make onesie-twosies of either or both would be frightfully expensive.

They haven't announced anything because at the moment they don't want to distract from the superchargers (since SAE isn't available yet anyway).

I suspect they'll announce it with Japan sales, because that's where they think the CHAdeMO adapter will be sold. For the USA, they seem to be angling towards everybody joining the Tesla charging standard (which I'm totally cool with). Elon said something like, "they can join us if they want" with the recent Supercharger announcement.

I would pay $1500 - $2000 to use the Supercharger network on my new non-Tesla EV (of course, I'd want a CHAdeMO socket also!!!)

I think that THEY think that if they offer CHAdeMO in the USA, it will inhibit their plans to "take over" future EV charging from other EV manufacturers. There's not much to worry about with Frankenplug, since there aren't any cars or chargers yet.

I suspect they'll announce it with Japan sales, because that's where they think the CHAdeMO adapter will be sold. For the USA, they seem to be angling towards everybody joining the Tesla charging standard (which I'm totally cool with). Elon said something like, "they can join us if they want" with the recent Supercharger announcement.

I would pay $1500 - $2000 to use the Supercharger network on my new non-Tesla EV (of course, I'd want a CHAdeMO socket also!!!)

I think that THEY think that if they offer CHAdeMO in the USA, it will inhibit their plans to "take over" future EV charging from other EV manufacturers. There's not much to worry about with Frankenplug, since there aren't any cars or chargers yet.

^^^ this. Absolutely. It would be easier for Tesla to grow the SuperCharger business to a $1b business than it would be for them to grow the car business to that. If you haven't seen it, look at this:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1300141-supercharging-tesla

That exactly makes my point. There are 700 CHAdeMO chargers, just past 10k Leafs in Europe (4000 in Norway, which is not in the EU; US number is irrelevant). That means 6000 Leafs in the EU, not all of which have the CHAdeMO connector.

The decision by the EU to not include CHAdeMO in their DC charging guidelines will affect those 6000 Leafs and 700 chargers in the EU. This is still a relatively small number compared to the auto market and potential EV volume! The number of Combo cars out now is irrelevant to this policy (since they will still be supported).

Let's fast forward 5 years later. The number of EVs on the road should be in the 100k+ (if EVs don't turn out to be a complete failure in the market). The DC chargers should be in the 1000s. If the EU waited until then to decide which standard to go with, there will be 100k+ EVs affected and 1000s of DC chargers that potentially need changing. This is much, much worse in terms of impact.

There is no such "US policy". Yes, that would probably be easier if there was, one way or the other, but for better or worse, we will have 3 separate DC charging standards, and I won't be surprised to see some high powered AC three phase charging and inductive (with many standards, no doubt).
Neither SAE, nor GM, dictates DC charging standards in the USA, much to their chagrin.
I'm referring to CARB and local government charging infrastructure guidelines (which is exactly what I'm talking about in the EU). These guidelines will be the basis for installing most public chargers. Of course, those governments don't have a say in private networks (like Tesla's supercharger and Nissan's dealer chargers) and yes, the US federal government has not issued a firm guideline in this regard, but most of the local guidelines I have seen (esp. the updated 2013 versions) talk about dual connector stations.

The often repeated exclusion of CHAdeMO in Europe doesn't pass the smell test with 700 plus units in the ground and over ten thousand CHAdeMO cars; still zero/zero of brand F.
I'm talking specifically about the EU's decision to exclude CHAdeMO from their fast charging guideline. The significance of this is that practically all EU members will be using this guideline to build their public charge infrastructure. CHAdeMO certainly saw this decision as significant enough to respond by letter (and also working hard to get the standard approved by the IEC).
http://green.autoblog.com/2013/01/28/chademo-disappointed-european-commissions-fast-charging/

I'm not saying CHAdeMO is banned in the Europe (which seems to be your impression of what I'm saying).

- - - Updated - - -

I can easily see dc charge station deployment increasing in the future and if Tesla creates the demand then dual stations being the norm.

A Tesla Chademo adaptor may not be available in the US or very expensive (since it has to do protocol conversion), so to get Teslas to charge they will need to support SAE. I'm not saying this will definitely happen, but I'm guessing this is what Tesla would like to happen because they don't want to support a complicate Chademo adaptor instead of a simple SAE adaptor. They haven't announced anything because at the moment they don't want to distract from the superchargers (since SAE isn't available yet anyway).
These two points are exactly what I've been trying to say Tesla's strategy/wishes may be and why they are not in a hurry to make a CHAdeMO adapter for the US market first.

- - - Updated - - -

Ya, I like how folks throw that out there like a forgone conclusion. The Frankenplulg and Supercharger plugs clearly aren't exactly compatible, as there is that little issue of 4 power pins on a Frankenplug (two AC, two DC) and only two on a Tesla plug. As to price of a adapter high power DC circuit, I can't imagine any will be "cheap". Probably cheaper than a CHAdeMO adapter, but not cheap.
A 32kW (400V * 80A using Model S charging voltage) SAE DC adapter will cost exactly the same $100 and work exactly the same as the current J1772 AC adapter (only possible change needed is change the plastic slot on the bottom). This is because SAE designed "DC Level 1" to allow the AC power pins in the top half of the J1772 combo to be used for DC charging (with the two larger additional DC power pins completely unused in this mode):
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...1772-DC-(Combo)-Connector-Adapter-for-Model-S
I expect this adapter to be included with the Model S going forward (replacing the current J1772 AC one).

"DC level 2" (the one that allows 100kW) will use the bottom larger DC pins, but it also only needs 5 pins in total (the two AC power pins are unused in this case) so is compatible electrically with the Model S connector. An adapter for this to the Model S will likely have the two AC power pins disconnected and with a straight shot between the two DC power pins and the Model S power pins (the other three signal pins will then be rerouted around). There might need to be a counterweight on the bottom of the adapter.

The "DC Level 2" adapter would be much easier/simpler (no need to reroute the other three pins) if you can plug in the Combo connector upside down, but I doubt most stations will allow this. But even so, the "DC Level 2" adapter will not be significantly more expensive than the "DC Level 1" one since it's still a pin-to-pin adapter (no protocol translation, no electronics, just pins and wiring).

Last edited:
I think that Elon explained it well on the conference call - for very high speed charging there must be a dance between the charger and the pack. It's not just a matter of making the plugs. It

what I need a CHAdeMO adapter for is not very high speed charging, it's to avoid crazy slow L1 alternatives where there will be no Superchargers and where there are already lots of CHAdeMO in the NW.

To me the only real deal breaker is lack of a CHADeMO adapter. Without one road trips are not possible for us. We pass many CHADeMO stations but are more than a year away from any SuperChargers.

There's an amazing concentration in Tennessee, but by the looks of this map of the U.S. you won't get far otherwise.

Untitled.jpg

Sorry for the thread hijack!