Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter wait frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla could cleverly avoid the CHAdeMO situation in the US by accelerating the Supercharger rollout in every area that has a lot of CHAdeMO - move up the schedule a year or two faster than is warranted.
If they put supercharger with 4 ports within 10 miles of every CHAdeMO station in WA and OR states by the end of 2014, then I withdraw my request for a CHAdeMO adapter. Otherwise, I think they doing a significant disservice to this customer segment by not offering such an adapter.

Notice that nobody has said anything about price. They could offer it for $500 as a starting point if it's rocket science to develop the damn thing.

I'm also a bit suspicious of your LEAF numbers: does the cell voltage really only rise from 4.04 to 4.1 during charging?

I'm not sure why you think I said this... maybe I mistyped something. There are 96 cell pairs in the LEAF, and each is charged to 4.1 volts (plus or minus about 50mV or less, 393.6 volts total). They can discharge until the lowest cell pair reaches about 2.9 volts.

Assuming a depleted battery pack at just below 300 volts, the CHAdeMO charger is instructed by the car through the CAN bus to first charge at 388 volts, increasing to 394 volts at 120 amps continuous until about 50% SOC, then it ramps down the amperage to until the charge is complete.

Happy to be told I'm wrong here if you believe you are watching the actual pack voltage with your 388V figure.

The CHAdeMO charger typically reports the data on its screen. But, yes, we can monitor the LEAF's CAN bus messages with various tools.

Well, regardless of whether this situation has arisen through bad faith or just bad luck/judgement, someone's now got to pay for making the existing stations dual-capable - or else the market for public DC charging is just not viable.

I don't quite follow this. Are you saying because the Frankenplug block has proposed a charging standard, somebody "has" to use it? How about if I proposed a standard? The DC charging infrastructure is plenty viable in the areas where it is deployed, and getting moreso daily around the world. Frankenplug currently isn't even a player, nor do I feel obligated to spend my tax money to make them one.

It's clearly not cheap to add a second head to existing deployments, but it has to be cheaper than a complete new station. So if there isn't a business case for doubling your customer base (from leaf to telsla + leaf) by spending whatever it costs to add the 2nd head (or tethered adapter), then how is there a business case for adding any more sites?

If Tesla will license their Supercharger protocol, and supply the charging nozzle, I'd be pretty excited to offer that option. There will be hundreds of thousands of Tesla cars running around in the coming years to use it. I don't see any similar market for any of the proposed Frankenplug cars; eGolf, Spark EV, BMW i3. Heck, virtually all of the current cars that aren't Nissan or Tesla have no DC charger capability at all.

And conversely, if there isn't a business case for adding a tethered adapter and recouping the cost by charging Tesla drivers for using it, then are those Tesla drivers really going to buy one each?

If only stations are going to offer a charger adapter, the actual adapter would be in EXTREMELY low volume and be really expensive.

I'm not sure why you think I said this... maybe I mistyped something. There are 96 cell pairs in the LEAF, and each is charged to 4.1 volts (plus or minus about 50mV or less, 393.6 volts total). They can discharge until the lowest cell pair reaches about 2.9 volts.

Assuming a depleted battery pack at just below 300 volts, the CHAdeMO charger is instructed by the car through the CAN bus to first charge at 388 volts, increasing to 394 volts at 120 amps continuous until about 50% SOC, then it ramps down the amperage to until the charge is complete.

This is where we are failing to understand each other. I'm not sure if we are disagreeing over facts or just failing to communicate, so I will try to re-state my argument more clearly.

With DC charging, the charger can't fix both the current and the voltage at the same time: the relationship between voltage and current is defined by the cells, varying significantly with state of charge but also other factors such as temperature, age, and random manufacturing variations from cell to cell. So either the charger fixes the current and lets the voltage turn out to whatever the cells let it be, or it fixes the voltage and lets the cells determine the current. Common practice is to have both a current limit and a voltage limit: when the charger is first turned on, the terminal voltage is whatver the pack's resting voltage was and the charger then ramps the voltage until it hits either the current limit or the voltage limit. If it hits the current limit, then you are in the constant-current regime and the voltage will be less than the target voltage: as the charge proceeds, the current will stay the same and the voltage gradually rises. If the voltage hits the voltage limit (either straight away or after a period of charging) then the current will be less than the target current, and will fall further as the charging proceeds.

So, with a given voltage/current limit you are never delivering the maximum current at the same time as the maximum voltage, and so it's not accurate to calculate the maximum output power of a charger (or, as we were discussing here, the connector) by multiplying max current by max voltage. How close you can get depends on the pack/cell characteristics, so it is interesting to look at the available numbers to see whether this effect is just a minor technicality (a few percent) or if it in fact limits these connectors to a significantly lower power than the datasheet numbers suggest.

We both agree that current packs (both LEAF and Tesla) are "wasting" some of the connector's theoretical capability by having a peak pack voltage during charge less than the connector/charger limit voltage of 500V - somewhere around 20% (400V vs 500V). Obviously some margin is needed to account for component tolerances, overshoot etc. - it's not clear whether the current pack designs have left this much margin deliberately, or whether it's simply a case of the pack voltage being determined by other considerations unrelated to charging.

However, within the 0-400V range that they have decided to use, the peak output power still isn't the connector/charger's maximum current * 400V, since the voltage while drawing peak current will be less. I would have expected the cells to have started charging somewhere around 3.5V per cell, and still be well under 4.0V by the time the current is tailing off. This seems to be borne out by results for Model S (eg. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/12078-Typical-Supercharging-rate?p=262066&viewfull=1#post262066), where the peak current is only achieved between about 365-375V as against an end-of-charge voltage around 405V. So this pack could only draw 375*200 = 75kW out of a hypothetical CHAdeMO/J1772-DC high power charger, or if you built a higher voltage pack out of the same cells to use the whole voltage range you might get that same peak at 450V, giving an absolute max using the CHAdeMO or Frankenplug connectors of 90kW - and an average much worse than this.

Your LEAF numbers, taken at face value, suggest that the LEAF's cells have a much flatter charging profile and hence a bigger pack made out of the same cells could make better use of a 200A-limited plug. However, I was suspicious whether that was a real difference in the cell characteristics or misleading information from the charger display - it seemed unlikely that the cells actually stayed at constant current and constant voltage over much of the charging time, and I was speculating that the charger was showing the limit voltage requested by the car rather than the actual instantaneous voltage.

I don't quite follow this. Are you saying because the Frankenplug block has proposed a charging standard, somebody "has" to use it? How about if I proposed a standard? The DC charging infrastructure is plenty viable in the areas where it is deployed, and getting moreso daily around the world. Frankenplug currently isn't even a player, nor do I feel obligated to spend my tax money to make them one.

No, I was saying that with Tesla having taken a large market share with cars that are not CHAdeMO compatible, the charging industry needs to do something about it. Admittedly "something" doesn't necessarily have to be installing Frankenplugs. Unfortunately, there's a number of options, all of them less than ideal. I think I was too positive about Frankenplug in my previous remarks, but I still think you are equally too negative about the actual prospects (even if it is an evil political stitch-up, the bad guys do often end up winning...).

It really needs Tesla to declare their hand on adapters.

If Tesla will license their Supercharger protocol, and supply the charging nozzle, I'd be pretty excited to offer that option. There will be hundreds of thousands of Tesla cars running around in the coming years to use it. I don't see any similar market for any of the proposed Frankenplug cars; eGolf, Spark EV, BMW i3. Heck, virtually all of the current cars that aren't Nissan or Tesla have no DC charger capability at all.

Well, they have said all along that the Supercharger protocol is simply J1172-DC, so assuming that they are telling the truth then it's just down to the connectors.

If Tesla manage to come up with a cheap/small adapter for Frankenplug, then that may still be the way to go: you don't have to license anything from Tesla, the experience for Tesla customers is still good, and you are covering your options against other Frankenplug cars coming along later. If tax dollars are involved anywhere, they probably prefer something non-proprietary even if it's not the best engineering solution (avoiding allegations of 'subsidising Tesla', whether fair or not).

On the other hand, if that adapter turns out expensive and/or big, then I agree it's a non-starter: no amount of future-proofing or political acceptability can justify something that people won't want to use.

If a way can be found to solve the locking issue and do J1772-DC-lev1 with the existing adapters, that may be a good way to go for lower-capacity (up to 30kW) chargers.

Otherwise, it's a case of sourcing the Tesla connectors. In extremis, 80A (==30kW) capable ones are available by buying HPWCs. Although it would probably be unwise to try to do this against the will of Tesla, just getting them to sell an existing part (the tail off the HPWC) with the tacit agreement you are going to build it into a DC charger has to be a much easier negotiation than getting them to supply you a complete charging solution (that they don't have time to develop), the Supercharger cables (which are bigger than wanted for the job and need the accompanying pedestal to support them, hard to integrate into existing CHAdeMO locations), or a custom-design connector/cable for 120A (again, design work).

If only stations are going to offer a charger adapter, the actual adapter would be in EXTREMELY low volume and be really expensive.

I only partly agree with that. Obviously a station-only adapter is low volume by definition, but the portable one will also be relatively low volume and much harder to do well: in particluar, the compromises necessary to build it in low volume at sensible price are much less of a problem (and in some ways a benefit) for the static adapter.

The static adapter can use a simple steel housing (possibly an off-the-shelf pedestal unit, wall-mount box or similar, otherwise something in folded steel that's easy to design and make in any volume), and off-the-shelf panel-mount CHAdeMO socket. Such a thing would be a complete boat-anchor and highly unattractive as an adapter to carry in the car, whereas it's exactly what you want for a static adapter. To make a decent portable adapter you are almost certainly looking at significant tooling for mechanical parts - which does mean a lot of cost unless the volumes are high.

Even the electronics may work out cheaper - I'd initially assumed this would be equivalent regardless of the type of adapter, but in fact I see there are people selling daughter cards for the GreenPHY PLC (which is the only difficult part of the job) - so with space inside the 'boat anchor' it might be possible to do it by integrating off-the-shelf parts rather than a complete custom design.

Approvals are also an issue - but with a large, low-volume device you can afford the luxury of belt-and-braces design and/or quick fixes to problems found in testing, while with a tightly-engineered portable unit you risk blowing that investment in mechanical tooling to fit in what are otherwise simple electrical fixes.

And all of this assumes it is done as an independent adapter, rather than the charger manufacturers offering it as a second head on their charger designs. Those that already claim to offer a Frankenplug option are already 90% of the way to offering a Tesla option. Mind you, it would probably be worth funding development of the standalone adapter just to keep the charger manufacturers honest on the pricing of Tesla/Frankenplug upgrades, which otherwise risk being the classic case of variation-order overcharging.

Last edited:
I'd certainly be happy with any option along the lines of adding a Tesla compatible cable / head to the existing CHAdeMO stations throughout TN which we are currently struggling to plan a road trip that takes a reasonable amount of time.

Also a tiny partially off-topic question here that I hope you'll forgive.. Many of the Cracker Barrel stores in TN that have CHAdeMO list themselves as:
*Charging Station Available (DC/L-2)

Does that mean they have both a CHAdeMO *and* a J-1772 adapter or is it CHAdeMO only? Trying to figure out if it is safe to try to plan a charging stop there even if it will only be 30 AMPs..

- - - Updated - - -

I only partly agree with that. Obviously a station-only adapter is low volume by definition, but the portable one will also be relatively low volume and much harder to do well: in particluar, the compromises necessary to build it in low volume at sensible price are much less of a problem (and in some ways a benefit) for the static adapter.

The static adapter can use a simple steel housing (possibly an off-the-shelf pedestal unit, wall-mount box or similar, otherwise something in folded steel that's easy to design and make in any volume), and off-the-shelf panel-mount CHAdeMO socket. Such a thing would be a complete boat-anchor and highly unattractive as an adapter to carry in the car, whereas it's exactly what you want for a static adapter. To make a decent portable adapter you are almost certainly looking at significant tooling for mechanical parts - which does mean a lot of cost unless the volumes are high.

Even the electronics may work out cheaper - I'd initially assumed this would be equivalent regardless of the type of adapter, but in fact I see there are people selling daughter cards for the GreenPHY PLC (which is the only difficult part of the job) - so with space inside the 'boat anchor' it might be possible to do it by integrating off-the-shelf parts rather than a complete custom design.

Approvals are also an issue - but with a large, low-volume device you can afford the luxury of belt-and-braces design and/or quick fixes to problems found in testing, while with a tightly-engineered portable unit you risk blowing that investment in mechanical tooling to fit in what are otherwise simple electrical fixes.

And all of this assumes it is done as an independent adapter, rather than the charger manufacturers offering it as a second head on their charger designs. Those that already claim to offer a Frankenplug option are already 90% of the way to offering a Tesla option. Mind you, it would probably be worth funding development of the standalone adapter just to keep the charger manufacturers honest on the pricing of Tesla/Frankenplug upgrades, which otherwise risk being the classic case of variation-order overcharging.

So is what you are describing here something like a separate bollard or similar structure placed close enough to the CHAdeMO station that the user could plug the CHAdeMO cable into it, then plug the Tesla cable into the car? I think I might prefer that to having to lug around a very heavy brick and cable setup. The down-side would be having an additional potential component failure at every stop along the way rather than bringing your own in which you could have a higher degree of confidence.

One more reason I'd like a CHAdeMO adapter... now that my inverter fried and they have to replace it and the whole battery pack, because it blew a fuze internally :~(, I have one of the new P85 loaner cars, except it's not actually a P85, it has standard suspension and I can not get it down my steep driveway and into my garage to charge it without scraping it in two places, so it's 12A/110V from most post lite for now, that's 3mph! I have access to two CHAdeMO charging stations within a few miles from my house, one 4 miles away one just 2.7 miles. if only there were a CHAdeMO adapter I'd be able to swing by and charge up and not have to leave the car plugged in 24/7, feeling a bit nervous about range. yesterday I had to drive my Leaf 150 miles, messing around with frequent fast charging, eating up time, I did 5 QC's in less than 24 hours. The closest Supercharger to me will be much further away. If I had gotten the loaner car sooner, it still would have been tricky as it arrived with less than half a "tank".

the reality is, we need Superchargers in metro areas too as back ups... or just give us a CHAdeMO adapter and I'd be happy!

Interesting that they think the BWM i3 will have the first car that uses CCS/DC_combo.

GM And BMW Join Forces To Complete Testing On DC “Combo” Fast Charge Stations (w/video)

http://insideevs.com/gm-and-bmw-joi...ting-on-dc-combo-fast-charge-stations-wvideo/

Anyone know what "DC at home" is?
CombinedChargingSystemSAE-medium-300x225.jpg

Last edited:
The article mentions they have 90kW (450V) SAE chargers in testing already. That's faster than any CHAdeMO charger out there and pretty close to supercharger speeds (although power will downgrade back to 80kW max with the charging voltage of the Model S at 400V peak). CHAdeMO as a spec supports the same current rating at 200A, but no connector/socket in existence supports more than 125A (there was an early blueprint of one, but none of the production versions have that high of a current rating).

Anyone know what "DC at home" is?
Don't know but I'm going to guess it refers to L1 DC (32kW max with 400V@80A) with an off-board charger. Probably something to utilize the V2G capabilities of the standard.

Also a tiny partially off-topic question here that I hope you'll forgive.. Many of the Cracker Barrel stores in TN that have CHAdeMO list themselves as:
*Charging Station Available (DC/L-2)

Does that mean they have both a CHAdeMO *and* a J-1772 adapter or is it CHAdeMO only? Trying to figure out if it is safe to try to plan a charging stop there even if it will only be 30 AMPs..

Every Cracker Barrel I've been to here in Tennessee that has a CHAdeMO station also has a Blink J1772 station right next to it. In fact, I just had my first ever public charging station charge at a Cracker Barrel in Manchester, TN last week during my first-ever long(ish) drive in my Model S. Worked a charm, although it would have been nice to have tried out the CHAdeMO station.

And since Tesla isn't planning on installing any Superchargers in this area until at least 2015, it would REALLY be nice to be able to take advantage of the statewide network of CHAdeMO chargers to get around Tennessee. Elon, are you listening? ;-)

My Model S plugged into the J1772 charger at the Manchester, TN Cracker Barrel with the CHAdeMO station in the background.
IMG_3605.jpg

Close-up of the CHAdeMO station:
IMG_3606.JPG

Maybe they'll add the ability to add annotations where you charge. Then I can send screenshots to ownership of such comments littered across my map:

"Damn, I wish I could have used the CHAdeMO here."
"Wow, 30A sucks. And look: 2 CHAdeMO ports. FML."

In another thread someone mentioned the big issue Tesla has with CHAdeMo is the fact that the charger wants to control the rate of charge to the vehicle, while Tesla has programmed the car to do that. In other words, you have 2 different computer systems trying to do the same thing. Tesla would likely have to "turn off" that during the charging cycle and I don't think they would agree to do that.

I know everything thinks they will make an adaptor for Japan, but what if they just build out a few more superchargers there? They might believe it's not worth the risk to trust the charger (which could be faulty and damage the pack)

In another thread someone mentioned the big issue Tesla has with CHAdeMo is the fact that the charger wants to control the rate of charge to the vehicle, while Tesla has programmed the car to do that. In other words
Eh? With CHAdeMO the car is always in control of the charging, not the car. This is a must for any charging protocol - the charger has no idea what kind of batteries or what the condition of the batteries is - the car only knows.

This is even on the FAQ of the CHAdeMO web site (bolding mine):

CHAdeMO DC quick charger is controlled by ECU of EV, a microcomputer which controls the discharging and charging process of on-board battery, The ECU is continuously monitoring the SOC and temperature of the battery system, so that quick charging never deteriorates the battery.

Last edited:
In another thread someone mentioned the big issue Tesla has with CHAdeMo is the fact that the charger wants to control the rate of charge to the vehicle, while Tesla has programmed the car to do that. In other words, you have 2 different computer systems trying to do the same thing. Tesla would likely have to "turn off" that during the charging cycle and I don't think they would agree to do that.

I know everything thinks they will make an adaptor for Japan, but what if they just build out a few more superchargers there? They might believe it's not worth the risk to trust the charger (which could be faulty and damage the pack)
I think you are referring to Tesla's complaint that the CHAdeMo charger talks to the CAN bus which they feel gives too much access to the car's systems. The other objection Tesla has voiced that I'm aware of is the CHAdeMo is much slower than SuperCharging (or J1772 dual for that matter).

I think you are referring to Tesla's complaint that the CHAdeMo charger talks to the CAN bus which they feel gives too much access to the car's systems. The other objection Tesla has voiced that I'm aware of is the CHAdeMo is much slower than SuperCharging (or J1772 dual for that matter).

Sorry but I think you are mistaken as the least powerful CHADeMO is 40KW which is double the power of the most powerful level 2 charger. And i have yet to find ANY level public charger over 7KW while there are many CHADeMO stations in the area.

Sorry but I think you are mistaken as the least powerful CHADeMO is 40KW which is double the power of the most powerful level 2 charger. And i have yet to find ANY level public charger over 7KW while there are many CHADeMO stations in the area.
Your typical "50 kW" CHAdeMO station will push a peak of 47 kW to a LEAF.

The CHAdeMO connector itself is designed to handle up to 200A (~90kW in real life, 100kW on paper), though current implementations are limited to 125A, so there really is no significant deficiency in power handling compared to J1772-combo or current implementations of SuperChargers (though that is soon changing with SuperCharging going up to 120kW any day now).

Sorry, I meant to say J1772 combo, the dual J1772 connector that does both Level 2 and DC Level 3 connection. I'm not making any arguments one way or the other, just repeating what Tesla has said.