Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter wait frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wel, yes they should, but there is a thing here.

A Leaf or e-NV200 won't charge at ~45kW for a long time due to the small battery. Currently Model S is the only car which will draw 45kW for over an hour and that builds up heat inside the charger.

These problems didn't really come to light until the first Model S started using the CHAdeMO chargers.

Huh. Reminds me of something an ex-boss of mine used to say, "If you don't test it, it doesn't work."

Maybe this is one of the reasons why Tesla has not yet released the CHAdeMO adapter.
With each country having different electricity supply grid characteristics and its own regulatory processes, I can imagine he performance and bureaucracy nightmare which Tesla is having.

this is an area where I wish they would share more: after all, it isn't really a competitive issue to have the status public.

There are more horrible chademo's than good ones. The best I saw so far are the ABB units which look most professional, have a USEFUL display (most the other are unreadable in daylight) and seem to work without issues. Made in northern Europe, no wonder :)
I talked to a representative of ABB Germany and asked "What if a Model S will charge for 2 hours with full power". ABB told me, their Terra 53 charger is designed to operate 24/7 with specified output power of 50kW. They don't see any problems with charging a Model S.

ABB is very common in some european countries. Estonia and Denmark are covered with ABB stations. Nearly all fast chargers are ABB in these countries.

Same in the Netherlands. All ABB chargers. For example those from Fastned / Snelladen langs de snelweg

Does anyone know the price of an ABB CHAdeMO charger?

A Terra 53 50kW multi standard will set you back somewhere between EUR 30.000,00 and 40.000,00. So let's say $50,000

ABB Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure

A Terra 53 50kW multi standard will set you back somewhere between EUR 30.000,00 and 40.000,00. So let's say $50,000

Seeing the three standard ABB units in use in Europe makes me wonder if we'll see ones with three connectors in North America, except replacing the 43 kW AC with Tesla. Thanks to the opening of Tesla's patents, wouldn't this be allowed?

Currently, dual CHAdeMO/CCS stations are being installed in my province. However, there are only 50 or so CCS ready cars on the road here and almost none in dealer inventories, compared to over 300 Model S. Imagine by how much Teslas will outnumber CCS cars once Model 3 is released. There are also wide gaps in Supercharger coverage, so Tesla drivers would love to have access to 50kW.

I've heard the argument that Model S drivers should simply purchase the adaptor, but the many disadvantages to that are listed in this thread. Besides, what will happen if BMW and Nissan migrate to Tesla's design? Will everyone have to use an adaptor if they want a quick charge?

... Therefore, technically, the US CHAdeMO adaptor has not shipped. Only the Japanese adaptor has...
TM has recruited some beta-testers in EU and shipped CHAdeMO beta-adaptors to them. European drivers just have to wait for the results and possible modifications.

Although the SuC network is expanding steadily, one can expect CHAdeMO chargers will remain playing a major role. Travelling from SuC to SuC is fine, keeping the driving range window wide open with frequent and short CHAdeMO topping remains key for drivers without an overnight private 11/22kW AC option.