Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got an email from Tesla informing me that I can place an order my adapter now! Question is, do I need/want it now? The email says they have limited numbers and my position on the waitlist is invited to order, but any orders placed by others who havent rec'd the email will be cancelled. (Ths I cant forward the email with the order link to others.)

Buy it, and i'll buy it from you, assuming I don't get the same wait list email soon. lol (Probably won't get an email since I didn't get on the list until Feb'14)

PM me if interesting in buying it and shipping it to me. (Obviously I'll pay :p)

This will make westward trips to TN easier since Chademo is available a bunch of places out that way.

same here. received email earlier today. ordered.

probably overkill in southern California but presumably this will also be usable with the Model X

just for reference, I was added to the CHAdeMO wait list on October 14, 2013.

Interesting. I just checked my sent mail folder and was added to the list on the exact same day (10/14/2013). No email yet. A CHAdeMO adapter would be a welcome addition, since I don't have home charing, and there is a CHAdeMO about 1.5 miles from my home.

So what is the least expensive CHAdeMO charger that will reliably charger a Model S at 40-50kW? Time for those coffee shop CHAdeMOs...
The subsidized Nissan CHAdeMO unit. About $16k after insentives + install costs of course.

ABB has some 25kWh stations though. The local university has em. Pointless in my opinion...

Just confirmed my spot, I'm #85 on the list.

For reference, I signed up for the adapter (and was acknowledged) on 10/11/2013.

There is a local Nissan dealership (about 3 mi from my place) with Chademo and it is free. I use it with my Leaf on occasion. It's an ABB unit. That is where I will try it out when the adapter arrives. Its located on the side of the dealership where there's not too much foot traffic from the staff. I wonder if they will give me trouble if I try to use it.

The subsidized Nissan CHAdeMO unit. About $16k after insentives + install costs of course.

ABB has some 25kWh stations though. The local university has em. Pointless in my opinion...

The Nissan unit has had reports on serious overheating issues.

An HPWC is 19.2 kW from 240V, which probably puts about 18 kW into the battery. I figure to be interesting a CHAdeMO needs to be at least 40 kW. Given that a low SoC 85 is at about 360V, I'm interested in a reliable, no overheating for 2 hours, 125 Amp, 50 kW CHAdeMO. 125Ax360V=45kW

Tesla is fielding Superchargers nicely, but there are some interesting corners of the world (4-corners?) where some crowd funding of a CHAdeMO with an adapter chained to it would be interesting...

Be aware: Most of the 50 kW CHAdeMO's that I have looked at want 480V, 3-phase like a Supercharger.

Heh, Model S DC to Model S DC charging solution... ;)
I suppose it could be done with the CHAdeMO adapter, depending on how they programmed it. Now we have a device that can "unlock" direct DC access to the pack (using the right external hardware and software combo), this was not possible before. Could even open up Vehicle to Grid options :D (Once warranty is up anyways, as that is automatic warranty voider).

I'm interested in the Chademo adapter because it opens the door for a custom DC-DC charging solution for my off-grid solar setup.
Check out Andromeda Power - they have CHAdeMO stations with a very flexible input that can take anything from DC to 3-phase AC.

Unfortunately, the Nissan branded unit has proven itself unreliable. Overheating is a common issue.
I'd love to see a good engineer look at the station - I suspect that it could be significantly improved without major changes. Just simplifying and improving the air cooling system should make it a lot more reliable.

The UK is covered by CHAdeMOs that are derived from that Nissan unit. There are literally hundreds at highway rest stops. Unfortunately they are unreliable. Around 25% offline as I write and you have no guarantee that one might not fail on your charging session. Two rounds of upgrades by the operator and manufacturer have not improved the situation, in fact they stopped the latest effort because it was making things worse. There is not one single failure mode either.

That's worrying that Japanese friends are reporting incompatibilities with the Model S too.

If you want reliable, the stats are hugely in favour of the ABB units. In fact a Dutch network ripped out their Nissan derived ones and replaced them with ABB.