Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change charging settings (amps) when plugging into wall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends. In Canada, 14-50 outlets are allowed to be wired for 40 amps (40 amp breaker and appropriate sized wiring) for stove outlets. Not sure if the US NEC allows for this, but generally US and Canadian regulations are very similar. If it's wired this way, you can only charge at 32 amps.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea. I'll update my original post.

I don't know about 14-50's, but I have hit 10-50's with a 40 Amp breaker. I had to dial the current back to 32 Amps to avoid tripping the breaker. Using a 40 Amp breaker allows a smaller wire and is all most ranges need.

Good point. I was thinking of my garage situation where I know I will be using 40 amps of continuous load and therefore have the appropriate gauge wiring and 50 amp breakers. If the outlet was intended for something else such as a range, it could have different wiring and breaker requirements.

You will need to dial the car back to 24 Amps. The most that the NEC allows for a continuous load is 80% or the breaker rating for conventional breakers. You may be able to squeeze a little more than 24 Amps before the breaker pops, but why risk it. Dial back to 24 Amps until you get a correct 60 Amp circuit to the J1772; that will then correctly offer 80% of 60 Amps or 48 Amps on the J1772 pilot signal to the car.

Good Luck!
I will set it at 24A until the issue is resolved. Thanks for the post.

So....

As long as I use the cable they provide (http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/model-s-mobile-connector-bundle) plug directly from a wall to the Tesla, I don't need to dial / set the charging rate. That include using the Tesla adapters (i.e.: http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/nema-14-50). But if I decide to use an extension cable (i.e.: http://www.teslarati.com/tesla-umc-extension-cord-camco-50amp/), I would make sure I set the charge rate accordingly, in this situation, I would need to set to 40amp if I were to plug it into home Dryer's Plug using this extension cable?

If I use a public charging station (non-tesla, i.e. Blink), I would not need to set the charging setting?

As long as I use the cable they provide (http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/model-s-mobile-connector-bundle) plug directly from a wall to the Tesla, I don't need to dial / set the charging rate. That include using the Tesla adapters (i.e.: http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/nema-14-50).

Correct.

But if I decide to use an extension cable (i.e.: http://www.teslarati.com/tesla-umc-extension-cord-camco-50amp/), I would make sure I set the charge rate accordingly, in this situation, I would need to set to 40amp if I were to plug it into home Dryer's Plug using this extension cable?

Almost correct. When using an extension cable you need to think about what you are doing, but in that particular example you don't need to turn it down to 40A, since it will already be at 40A due to the Tesla adapter at the other end (and because 40A is the maximum the Tesla UMC can ever go to).

You can always consider turning it down further if you are concerned about the quality of any of the wiring, or if you simply don't need to charge that fast (perhaps you already have half a charge and/or are staying a long time) and want to minimize the risk of causing trouble charging in an unfamiliar location.

If I use a public charging station (non-tesla, i.e. Blink), I would not need to set the charging setting?

Correct. And the same obviously goes for private charging stations (J1772 chargepoints or Tesla HPWCs installed at homes, offices etc.). In this sort of location, you should never need to worry about turning down the rate.

The way I read the discussion here is that the adapter tells the car what to pull. So if you use the cable Tesla provides and the NEMA 14-50 adapter and plug in to a 14-50 outlet that is wired to a 40/30/20 amp circuit , it will trip the circuit because the adapter is telling it to pull 40amps. So the first statement isn't always correct.

The way I read the discussion here is that the adapter tells the car what to pull. So if you use the cable Tesla provides and the NEMA 14-50 adapter and plug in to a 14-50 outlet that is wired to a 40/30/20 amp circuit , it will trip the circuit because the adapter is telling it to pull 40amps. So the first statement isn't always correct.
If someone has a 14-50 outlet wired to a 40 or 30 or 20 amp circuit they have bigger problems than a statement not always being correct.

If someone has a 14-50 outlet wired to a 40 or 30 or 20 amp circuit they have bigger problems than a statement not always being correct.

It is legal to wire a 50A receptacle to a 40A or 50A breaker. Many homes use a 40A breaker but 50A receptacle for ranges.

It is also legal to wire a 50A receptacle to a 30A breaker with #10 wire for an arc welder.

Never assume a 50A receptacle is backed by 50A wiring or OCPD.

It is legal to wire a 50A receptacle to a 40A or 50A breaker. Many homes use a 40A breaker but 50A receptacle for ranges.

It is also legal to wire a 50A receptacle to a 30A breaker with #10 wire for an arc welder.

Never assume a 50A receptacle is backed by 50A wiring or OCPD.
That's exactly how Ecotality installed my Blink EVSE. They used #8 wire in conduit, a 40a breaker and a NEMA 6-50.

That's exactly how Ecotality installed my Blink EVSE. They used #8 wire in conduit, a 40a breaker and a NEMA 6-50.

Now, that said, it is NOT legal to install a 14-50 on a 40-amp breaker and connect a Tesla UMC to it... that's because the Tesla UMC with the 14-50 adapter requires a 50-amp rated circuit per "offered load" rules.

Is there a lower gauge/UMC available if you are connecting to a 110v/20amp (or 15amp) circuit? Was just thinking it would be a little easier to manage than the standard UMC. Or the only option is to use the existing UMC with the adapter? I'm guessing it is the latter but wanted to check.