Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes coming, but what does this all mean?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes - this exactly. Some of us are worried about depreciation of HW3 v. HW4, but if you get in at todays prices, and don’t use anything beyond autopilot, you automatically bake in the savings upfront - a savings that will likely offset any future depreciation concerns. If you buy a new car every 10 years, depreciation is not even a thing. (For those who can’t wait 10-years for the new tech, here’s what my 2-car family does: we stagger the 10 year hold, and buy a new car every 5 years, so we still get the feel of the “newer tech” upgrades without sacrificing personal finance. YMMV, but I am now looking forward to HW6.0 in my 5-year future, without depreciation concerns :)

Again, IMO, there is no way Tesla doesn’t raise today’s prices before or soon after the 3/1 event, with the prospect of continued inflation, the new $80k limit (and a possibility of the feds keeping / extending the credit terms), the fact that todays prices are lower than the 2019 rollout prices (even with inflation!), the MYP v MP price gap differential is historically the thinnest now, and the excitement being generated around the new FSD Beta software and HW4. We have seen this movie before, and it has never ended with MORE price cuts :) Again, what premium amount are we willing to pay for the latest hardware? If you wait and see, the number will be closer to $10k than $0 in my option, a steep price for a non- FSD user.

I guess I posted this originally to understand the impact of HW4 and if Tesla would do any upgrades. I now feel a bit better knowing my car will function fine (exactly as I expected it to at time of purchase, with some promises of increased functionality when the park assist bugs are worked out), and that the software updates will still support HW3 (the software is not obsolete).
This is exactly what we do, I should be getting my MYP in March after 5 years when the loan is done our other car will be 12 years old and we will replace it. I'm kind of shocked people care so much about park assist. I guess being that I live in the NYC metro and have drove in NYC more times than I can count, tight parking, parallel etc is no issue as I have been doing it tech free for 20 years.

I do love saving time by kissing the weekly gas station trips and the routine maintenance appointments goodbye. I love the acceleration (I never experienced 0-60 in 3.5 Mississippis!), and the regen stopping power and position hold. I also love the space - so deceptive from the outside, soooo roomy inside. Finally, the range of the MYP is far more than I regularly use, and by plugging-in daily, I never have to worry about an empty tank.

I think the biggest reason I went with MYP, however, is it’s cool and effortless simplicity (from the purchasing / service app, the aesthetic body lines, visually appealing / minimalistic interior, the one-button park, one pedal start/stop, scheduled preconditioning, remote start, remote cameras, etc.). But, if I get bored and want a little bit of complexity, I can review diagnostics, make adjustments on almost anything, etc. none of that will be going away in the 10 years I expect to own this car…

For a car with no buttons, it now perfectly pushes all of mine as is! Thanks everyone.

Just a few comment.
  • One-button park, honestly it seems like very few people use this.
  • One pedal start/stop, not quite. It's close, and most of the time you don't need the brake, but the brake is indeed still needed at times.
  • Scheduled preconditioning, this is a bigger issue for ICE vehicles, but since the Tesla warms and cools so quickly, just turning it on as you get in the car or headed to the car often gets you in better shape than an ICE after 15 minutes full speed driving.
  • Remote start? Impossible with a Tesla. (There is no start in a Tesla)
  • The car has 14 buttons if I'm counting correctly, 2 on the steering wheel, 7 for windows, 4 to open doors from inside, 1 for rear liftgate. (but that's still about 400 less than other cars) but yes, only the two for all console controls.

• Disagree
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
Thanks - I would have been more careful if I knew you were to take me so literally :). And, yes, I confusing “remote start” with having the interior temp set from afar (from the train on my way home) and warmed up and ready to go the second I arrive (I don’t need it to drive away before I get there however :)). Radio begins when I step in. I guess that’s the same as “preconditioning” in my eyes. And honestly (knock on wood), I haven’t really used the brakes yet (only to test to see if they worked and as I got used to one pedal on day 1). I guess all my golf cart driving experience is paying off!!

I should ask about one button park…is that a safety issue? Seems like it should be, I guess 😳

Thanks - I would have been more careful if I knew you were to take me so literally :). And, yes, I confusing “remote start” with having the interior temp set from afar (from the train on my way home) and warmed up and ready to go the second I arrive (I don’t need it to drive away before I get there however :)). Radio begins when I step in. I guess that’s the same as “preconditioning” in my eyes. And honestly (knock on wood), I haven’t really used the brakes yet (only to test to see if they worked and as I got used to one pedal on day 1). I guess all my golf cart driving experience is paying off!!

I should ask about one button park…is that a safety issue? Seems like it should be, I guess 😳

Wasn't really criticizing you, just wanted to make sure for others not quite as familiar with it understood it correctly.

One button park? Okay, I don't recommend people doing this, but it has happened to me a couple of time. Between a combination of what Subaru called hill holder, where the brakes automatically set when stopped, and some intelligence of the car. You can stop in the middle of flat driveway and get out. The car recognizes butt off seat and sets it in park for you. So, it can be a no button park.

Brakes are generally used in two situations, most importantly emergency stop, but the more common is when regen is restricted, either from a cold day or fully charged battery or combination of the two. You will find yourself needing to hit the brakes when regen is limited.

Reactions: Newbie2023
Hopefully the car doesn’t depreciate after all the updates as im first time buyer and a bit worried

All cars depreciate and all tech depreciates.

Having said that, your car will have more features available through software updates the longer you have ownership. So while the financial value will diminish, the personal value will increase. Congrats on your new car!

At least that's what other Tesla Owners are reporting.

The question remains. Is it a good idea to take delivery now of model 3 or wait for facelift. Will there be a price increase ?
I have the same question as it pertains to the MY. Having read speculation about the introduction of HW4 both on this forum and other places on the internet, I think it is very unlikely that HW4 will be deployed in M3 or MY in the next couple months. It is probably coming out first in the MS and MX. Also, the economics of the situation make it unlikely as well. Demand is very high right now for M3 and MY because of the unique combination of the price cuts and tax incentive at this time. Why would Tesla introduce HW4 in these cars if the demand is so high regardless? This company does not seem to be in the business of giving people something for nothing. I did read somewhere that there is a slight possibility of Tesla announcing that HW4 is being implemented in all vehicles as of now on March 1, but I am skeptical.

I guess each buyer has to answer the question of how valuable HW4 is? If you are hoping to use your car your car for FSD, then HW4 may be worth waiting for. If not, then it may not make that much of a difference except for the depreciation value of the car. I am planning to take delivery of a MYLR next month. I will be pleasantly surprised if it comes with HW4, but I am not holding my breath. I do hope that Tesla comes through on the promise of restoring park assist on these cars that lack the USS sensors though. But I guess I should not hold my breath on that either.

Reactions: Newbie2023
I would definitely bake in big depreciation on any new car, as that’s what cars do in normal markets. Two ways to help new buyers sleep at night if you are really concerned about a loss on paper:

1. Keep for 10 years (sage financial advice I have been told, especially with a new car purchase), as the diff will be marginal.

2. Buy when the price point is lowest (likely now, as a good bet, but who knows), as future depreciation will be offset due to the likely higher cost of the new tech. If it’s any consolation, your car bought today, under normal conditions, will depreciate at the same rate as those who also bought today (and much less than those who bought in 2022). You won’t get the new tech for the same price, as much as you hope you will. Tesla will increase pricing to offset demand. Therefore, you likely pay much more to have a car worth more than the one you buy today :)

(Think buying a iPhone 13 for $750 at end of model year - when it originally sold for $900 a few months earlier. It’s not worth nearly as much as a new $1000 iPhone 14 - which believe it or not - will also depreciate once home, but you got it with the features you really need at almost 20% less). Over simplified and likely not accurate pricing, but you get my point :)

One interesting item on Teslas is that even thought the hardware is older you always get the latest updates. HW4 is powerful, but for what most really need, HW3 is plenty strong enough (again, at a likely much better price). Kinda like IOS updates, I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: RCDriver23
Hopefully the car doesn’t depreciate after all the updates as im first time buyer and a bit worried
Just go get the car. The grin that you will get will far outweigh all of the discussions.

Depreciation? Are you expecting to sell the car soon? If not don't worry about it. But then again, Tesla has of the least depreciation of all cars, and that's before the latest price jiggle (but after previous price jiggles).

The car is not going to change appreciably in its next iteration. Just incrementally. Just as if it was another manufacturers model year change. Most of the Model 3's changes, from what I hear are to bring it up to par with the latest Model Ys. Which is mostly cost of manufacturing.
I've got a Model 3 and a Model Y, the differences are minimal. The features are nearly identical. Biggest difference for me is that my Model 3 doesn't have an automatic lift gate.

Just go turn that frown upside down!!!!!

The question remains. Is it a good idea to take delivery now of model 3 or wait for facelift. Will there be a price increase ?
you must make that decision for yourself.

inform yourself as best you can, but no one here can or should be buying a car for you.
Tesla buying decisions have become much as the purchase of a PC used to be; feature changes promoted faster than actual use cases could keep up.
what's your real use case, and does any of the nonsense here actually impact that ?

Reactions: toron2nashvile
Tesla promised that vision only Auto Pilot would quickly be superior to the old vision plus radar system, this was almost two years ago, and I am still limited to 85 mph in Auto Pilot instead of the 90 mph radar equipped cars were capable of, and I am still limited to a minimum following distance of 2 instead of 1 like the radar equipped cars.

Good luck ever having as good of a parking experience as the USS equipped cars.

Keith

A follow distance of 1 is not safe nor legal in most places, so I don't see the point of allowing it.

Reactions: ewoodrick
the biggest facelift of the MY was the introduction of the megacastings and structural battery pack.
what was the impact of those? arguably, only perception.
the HW4 is of limited value without FSD delivered. AP works just fine w/ HW3.

The biggest impact of HW4 on the MY will only be perceived as depreciation, not real.
we are back to the years of buying Tesla cars like PCs, based on their promoted features rather than actual feature use.
I disagree about depreciation, I think it'll be real, average buyer will care about tangible things such as 360 degree surround view more than megacastings and structural battery pack, especially when the latter has a range penalty right now.
I have no plans to use FSD so the computer itself offers little value, but better cameras, more importantly better camera placement will make parking so much easier in very tight spaces which a lot of people will find that use case common. We're not even counting adding back radar which will bring back higher AP speed, closer following distance, and the ability to continue operating in the rain at night.

Reactions: GoVols!