Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge to 100% on Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know to charge it to 100% before the road trip but do I leave it on 100% during the road trip and change it back to 90% once I get back home? Thanks
Depends on supercharging spacing. You don't want to leave the pack sitting at 100% for a while. If you are staying the night, charge to 90% then raise the charge limit remotely before you leave.

Depends on supercharging spacing. You don't want to leave the pack sitting at 100% for a while. If you are staying the night, charge to 90% then raise the charge limit remotely before you leave.

This works if you're talking about a Destination Charger at a hotel/motel, but if you're talking about a Super Charger near a hotel then you've blocked a charging stall, possibly preventing someone from getting a needed charge. Not to mention the fine imposed by Tesla for being connected after completing charging.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I know to charge it to 100% before the road trip but do I leave it on 100% during the road trip and change it back to 90% once I get back home? Thanks

Use 100% when you need it - and not when you don't. During a road trip I mostly don't reach 100%, because it's almost never worth the time to charge all the way up.

The only time 100% won't have you waiting is when you're charging overnight - but you don't want to let the car sit for hours at 100%, either, which makes this hard to use effectively.

During your road trip you will likely not want to charge to 100% unless you really need it. It takes on a LOT of time. You'll get to 80% say in 30 minutes, 90% in 40 minutes or so, but 100% could take you about 1 1/2 hours or so. If you really need that last 10% then go for it, or just unplug at 93% or so, but it really slows down and tapers in those lats 5-7% where it isn't worth it during a trip.

As for after your trip, just switch it back then, or when your at your destination a while. It will remind you after a few charges to switch it back if you forget even.

-T

• Informative
Reactions: Jurnimon and ckwong
If I know I need 100% charge before I leave while plugged into destination charger (eg at 48A), I charge to 90% overnight and then about 90-120 minutes before leaving, set to 100% and top up before I leave. That way I know that the vehicle is not sitting around at 100% for long.
Exactly. Set st at 90% when you arrive at the hotel and then use the app to set it at 100% when you wake up.

I usually set to 100% when Supercharging but I unplug when I have enough to continue my trip to the next destination (by the route planner) which is usually a lot less than 100%.
I leave it at 100% so I won't risk getting stuck with Supercharger waiting fees in case I get delayed in a restaurant, etc.
No problem charging to 100% if that ends up happening since I'll be driving right away.

I tried to set the charge limit to 100% whenever we were starting from home, stopping for dinner, or were delayed enough in a mall that it was going to pass 90% before we made it back to the car. It just saves a little time at the next charging stop, or maybe eliminates a stop. When staying overnight (or at home) I charged to 90%, moved the X to a regular parking spot, then moved it back in the morning, set the limit to 100%, and ate breakfast. That avoids leaving it sitting at 100% all night.

Only problem was back at home I forget to reset the limit to 90% and ended up at 100% about 1 AM and nowhere I needed to drive.

I tried to set the charge limit to 100% whenever we were starting from home, stopping for dinner, or were delayed enough in a mall that it was going to pass 90% before we made it back to the car. It just saves a little time at the next charging stop, or maybe eliminates a stop. When staying overnight (or at home) I charged to 90%, moved the X to a regular parking spot, then moved it back in the morning, set the limit to 100%, and ate breakfast. That avoids leaving it sitting at 100% all night.

Only problem was back at home I forget to reset the limit to 90% and ended up at 100% about 1 AM and nowhere I needed to drive.

One place I'm hoping Tesla gives up some help in future firmware - they could easily put in geotagged "home" and "away" default charge limit settings in for us, so you can have it automatically set the limit back to 80% when it detects that you're charging at home again.

Or maybe generic geotagged - you set the limit as you're charging, and it prompts always charge to this limit at this location like the suspension changes or the door opening - helpful for folks who charge at work daily too.

Reactions: Lon12
Note that the Trip planner also respects the charge limit that you set. So if you want to limit how long you spend at each supercharger you can set a low limit like 80% to reduce the amount of tapered charging time. And if you’d like to limit the number of stops you can set the limit to 100% and the system is more likely to plan a 50 minute stop suitable for a relaxing meal.

• Informative
Reactions: BLKMDL3
Note that the Trip planner also respects the charge limit that you set. So if you want to limit how long you spend at each supercharger you can set a low limit like 80% to reduce the amount of tapered charging time. And if you’d like to limit the number of stops you can set the limit to 100% and the system is more likely to plan a 50 minute stop suitable for a relaxing meal.

The built in Nav trip planner does this? Interesting. I hadn't noticed.

I did this once too. I just remembered at 1am that I still had it set to 100% and when I checked the app, it had just finished charging to 100%. Duh! So, I did what any Tesla nut would do. Got out of my PJs at 1am and drove the Tesla for 20-30 minutes to get the charge back close to 90% before heading back to bed.

I did this once too. I just remembered at 1am that I still had it set to 100% and when I checked the app, it had just finished charging to 100%. Duh! So, I did what any Tesla nut would do. Got out of my PJs at 1am and drove the Tesla for 20-30 minutes to get the charge back close to 90% before heading back to bed.

I was very tempted! But we had just arrived home after 4 long days of driving. I ran climate control for a couple of 30 minute periods but that didn't drain much.

One place I'm hoping Tesla gives up some help in future firmware - they could easily put in geotagged "home" and "away" default charge limit settings in for us, so you can have it automatically set the limit back to 80% when it detects that you're charging at home again.

Or maybe generic geotagged - you set the limit as you're charging, and it prompts always charge to this limit at this location like the suspension changes or the door opening - helpful for folks who charge at work daily too.

I thought charging was all geofenced, though maybe that's just the AC charging Amps? Unfortunately, setting to 100% at home leaves you open to accidentally charging to 100% the next time you're at home. Someone had asked for a "one time 100%" limit button. That would be handy.

On road trips I usually leave the setting at 100%. If you take a longer break (eating, shopping, sleeping,...) it always best to keep charging as much as you can to get the most energy for your next leg. There is no advantage in not charging to 100% when you are on a longer road trip. 100% is not good for the battery when it's kept at that level for longer. A few hours here and there is totally fine. The effect on the battery is miniscule when you start driving within a few hours of charging to 100%. Don't let it restrict you. It's perfectly fine to use the full capacity of your car when you need it.

If you want to treat your battery well, get the app 'Dashboard for Tesla'. It is the only app (i know) that has a smart charging feature where it automatically figures out when the car needs to charge to reach the desired charge level just at the time you need it. Say you want to have 80% at 7:30 am every morning. No matter when the battery level is when you come home at night, the app will figure out the required charge time and start charging the car so it will just finish at 7:30.

The big advantage is that you can keep the battery level rather low over time. What matters to the aging of the battery is the average state of charge over time. If you come home at 6 pm and have 30% left and start charging to 80%, the car will be done charging at around 10 pm and then sit at 80% all night until you leave. With the app it will delay the charge process to the latest time possible. So instead of having the battery sit at 80% the majority of the time, it will sit at 30%. Overall the average state of charge is much lower and your battery will live longer.

What you suggested is the way to go! Smart-Full-Charging, or something like that. To avoid mistaked 100% cases.