Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargeFox EV charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somebody on twitter was arguing the second point using the justification that sometimes DC chargers are in paid carparks so you should be able to tie up the charger for as long as you have paid to park while you wander around the city or go to work. Which is not strictly wrong, but incredibly selfish and inconsiderate (especially when those same people probably also would complain about not enough chargers). Just be ready to go back and move the car to another spot after 30-40 minutes or so.

Idle fees will very quickly put an end to that sort of rubbish, which is why I am a big fan of them.

It’s like politicians arguing what they did was perfectly ”legal”. OK, but what you did was inconsiderate, selfish, or unethical. Just because the law doesn’t stop you from doing something doesn’t mean you should. For people who have that mindset, think about the impact your behaviour has on others for once!

Evie had a customer survey a couple of weeks ago. I encouraged them to implement idle fees (they used to have per-minute fees as well as per kWh, which are not quite the same, since those fees applied for the entire session and penalised EVs with lower maximum charging rates). I think per-minute fees should be adopted to charge over 90%, not just when you reach 100%. If you really really need to charge above 90% then you’d suck it up or move your car to an AC charger. It you don’t need to charge past 90%, its a great incentive to disconnect.

The real solution to this is: no parking fee payable for the charging spot, idle fees payable though. If your car finishes charging and you want to stay there, find a normal spot and buy a normal ticket.
Some shopping centres give incentives such as an extra hour free parking if the drivers show they spent some $$ at the centre shops (including in this case EV charging). But i dont want EV to park at a charger for the total Free+incentive hours.

Idle fees definitely.....

Reactions: Hairyman
I guess it helps for those people who can't access a novated lease.
A novated lease is but one of the many ways of financing a vehicle for the purposes of the ATO EV FBT carrot.

Yay more people unnecessarily charging to 100%
I dont understand this. Why?. The limit is 1250kwh within 12 months. Or 24kWh every week for 52 weeks. Thats about 2hrs charging per week using a 11kw charger. Westpac says its equivalent to 7000km free electricity. OK, so thats about 134km per week. Why would people charge to 100% each week to cover 134km per week on average when their EV have a typical range of 3 times that.

I also dont understand the attraction. What they are offering is hardly competitive especially when there are Free ChargeFox chargers, and their interest rate is much higher than other providers.

Last edited:
Even a noob will quickly work out a little bit of shopping around that 7000km is nothing especially when they can get cheaper financing.
Given so many people sign up for a power company because they have a high FIT but don’t check the rest of the pricing, I’d suggest that several noob’s would jump at 7000km free travel. They would justify it by looking at their petrol costs for that distance. Westpac would have done a lot of market research for the offering.

Reactions: Vostok and Quickst
A couple of people spotted an electric bus charging up at Chargefox Gundagai today - the part that caught my eye was charging at 920A on CCS2:

1687827651608.png

I thought standard CCS2 was limited to 500A.

• Funny
Reactions: PC__LoadLetter

battery capacity is available in 3 different sizes

Like an elephant at a waterhole
The snout is a tad skinny but 👍

Implying a battery capacity of around 400kWh.

The midday solar glut can easily be mopped up with Ebuses. Commuter buses in the morning peak 5-10 am and afternoon peak 2-6pm
A lot of bus drivers have split shifts like that 4hrs in morning and 4hrs in afternoon. in between and at peak solar they are charging

Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 6.58.18 pm.png

Last edited: