Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargefox network bought out by motoring clubs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a little site-specific, but battery heating is absolutely a thing. While a 50kW site will typically deliver 40-41kW into my SR+ (after overheads), some sites deliver more. The NRMA charger at Picton often delivers 42-46kW. The NRMA charger at Berry is more like 44-49kW.

Remember the real equipment is off to the side of the head unit in a separate cabinet. The RTM50 is just a shell with cables, billing and comms systems, and a few completely unnecessary buttons so that it looks high tech.

The RTM50 is just a shell with cables, billing and comms systems, and a few completely unnecessary buttons so that it looks high tech.
I don't think that's true, there must be some power electronics in the unit itself like the DC rectifier, because otherwise it wouldn't need that big cooling fan that spools up when it's working hard.

Slightly off topic
From memory you get 2 years of complementary roadside service when purchasing a new Tesla.
Who is this contracted to or is it a Tesla service vehicle?
I notice that if you are a member of the various auto clubs you get 20% off the charging fee's at Charge Fox sites.
Is it worth being a member of an auto club?
what other benefits are EV owners gaining by being a member?
Appreciate the feedback.

Slightly off topic
From memory you get 2 years of complementary roadside service when purchasing a new Tesla.
Who is this contracted to or is it a Tesla service vehicle?
That's Tesla.
I notice that if you are a member of the various auto clubs you get 20% off the charging fee's at Charge Fox sites.
Is it worth being a member of an auto club?
what other benefits are EV owners gaining by being a member?
Appreciate the feedback.
NRMA (etc) members get a discount at Chargefox because NRMA and the other companies own a share in Chargefox (and now it's a much larger share). So it's a bit of cross-promotion.

I have no qualms paying full price for top level NRMA road service. I do a lot of country driving, and the Tesla service isn't great if you aren't in or near a major city when you break down. If you need a tow to the nearest charging station, I'd prefer to call NRMA. If you need a loaner tyre, I'd prefer to call Tesla. Horses for courses. But mostly it's the principle. NRMA were investing a tonne of members money in their own charging network, as well as into Chargefox. That's a big thing for me to support.

Disclaimer: I worked for NRMA briefly in 1999-2000.

That's Tesla.

NRMA (etc) members get a discount at Chargefox because NRMA and the other companies own a share in Chargefox (and now it's a much larger share). So it's a bit of cross-promotion.

I have no qualms paying full price for top level NRMA road service. I do a lot of country driving, and the Tesla service isn't great if you aren't in or near a major city when you break down. If you need a tow to the nearest charging station, I'd prefer to call NRMA. If you need a loaner tyre, I'd prefer to call Tesla. Horses for courses. But mostly it's the principle. NRMA were investing a tonne of members money in their own charging network, as well as into Chargefox. That's a big thing for me to support.

I have always been anti RACQ because they ripped me off in a vehicle write-off many years ago. That said, I am thinking along both pragmatic lines and the Auto club investment in charge fox and their DC fast Charging investment. With the flat tyre issue I was leaning towards a can of tyre sealant. given the low profile of the tyres if you get a puncture, they will more than likely be stuffed, so a can of sealant will just get you to a tyre shop.

A lot of the RACQ tow trucks have an EV charging Battery on-board. This is located in a box behind the truck cabin. I think it is on the tilt tray itself. I imagine this would be the same in other states auto club.
Disclaimer: I used to work in the auto service industry.

Reactions: Hairyman
I have always been anti RACQ because they ripped me off in a vehicle write-off many years ago.
They split the insurance and the road service into separate companies over 20 years ago. The insurance company can still use the branding of the road service company, but in the fine print, the insurance is now IAG.

All the charging initiatives, both the NRMA network and the Chargefox investment, are from the road service company.
That said, I am thinking along both pragmatic lines and the Auto club investment in charge fox and their DC fast Charging investment. With the flat tyre issue I was leaning towards a can of tyre sealant. given the low profile of the tyres if you get a puncture, they will more than likely be stuffed, so a can of sealant will just get you to a tyre shop.
Most of my driving is late night on weekends. Almost all tyre shops will be closed until Monday regardless.
A lot of the RACQ tow trucks have an EV charging Battery on-board. This is located in a box behind the truck cabin. I think it is on the tilt tray itself. I imagine this would be the same in other states auto club.
In the country, where it really matters, the tow trucks could be owned by anybody - and they probably aren't owned by the auto club.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok and Hairyman
That's Tesla.

The discount for motoring organisations (20%) is only available on the ultra-rapid (350kW) chargers, not on the smaller ones. That reduces the cost from $0.60/kWh to $0.48.
It would be great if that changed with the takeover. At present, there is only one of these chargers in Tasmania at Kings Meadows in Launceston. The other 10 are all 22kW or 50kW.

The discount for motoring organisations (20%) is only available on the ultra-rapid (350kW) chargers, not on the smaller ones. That reduces the cost from $0.60/kWh to $0.48.
It would be great if that changed with the takeover. At present, there is only one of these chargers in Tasmania at Kings Meadows in Launceston. The other 10 are all 22kW or 50kW.
Umm… You still get the 20% off on Chargefox’s 50kW unit at Goulburn. But Chargefox owns that unit. There's no chance they're going to start giving discounts at chargers they don't own, like the EHT chargers. Or the QESH chargers. All they do at those sites is help manage billing & tech support for chargers owned by someone else.

65A9B0EE-F2F7-4D1D-B822-CD3CD9170A08.jpeg

Last edited:
You still get the 20% off on Chargefox’s 50kW unit at Goulburn
Good to know, although your use of the word "still" implies that it is some form of legacy deal that may not apply in the more newly serviced states (like TAS & WA it seems). Your point about ownership vs a billing service is well taken.
but RAC recently announced it will apply at all their charging stations.
This post gives me some hope that the RACT (& maybe EHT) may be able to have a similar arrangement here in Tassie as well. Looks like some lobbying is needed :)

Good to know, although your use of the word "still" implies that it is some form of legacy deal that may not apply in the more newly serviced states (like TAS & WA it seems). Your point about ownership vs a billing service is well taken.
This is because the 50 kW at Goulburn is part of a 350 kW site. I don't think the date of build makes a difference.
in WA the discount used to only apply to the 350kW stations, but RAC recently announced it will apply at all their charging stations.
There is a bit of a weird overlapping relationship there - RAC WA already had their electric highway, and one of the Chargefox 350 kW sites replaced one of these locations (the one at RAC WA's Head Office). Also the branding at the Chargefox 350 kW sites is different in WA - using the bright yellow of the RAC WA network. I don't think there are any implications for EHT there, since it's a separate company. Although NRMA owns 1/3 of EHT, so... it's complicated!

I have no qualms paying full price for top level NRMA road service. I do a lot of country driving, and the Tesla service isn't great if you aren't in or near a major city when you break down.

I agree. I remain an NRMA member for that reason and the Chargefox discounts are just a bonus in my eyes (I very rarely use the NRMA chargers - 50kW just doesn’t cut it anymore).

Peter Fitzsimons owns a Model S and rather surprisingly wrote last year that he dumped his NRMA membership on the basis that EVs don’t break down. I wrote to him to point out that they still get unrepairable punctures or can get other mechanical failures unrelated to the fact that it’s an EV. I didn’t get a reply.

Reactions: Chuq
I agree. I remain an NRMA member for that reason and the Chargefox discounts are just a bonus in my eyes (I very rarely use the NRMA chargers - 50kW just doesn’t cut it anymore).
While I'm obviously an outlier, much of my charging is at 50kW chargers. UoW has a 50kW charger (albeit one that requires a silly $300 adapter) and they also have an in-house gym two buildings away. An hour is a good time for some weights and a shower after 5ish hours of driving. And I figure the $18/wk on the gym more than covers the marginal cost of the electricity I use (especially since they'll likely have the entire campus on a demand tariff).
Peter Fitzsimons owns a Model S and rather surprisingly wrote last year that he dumped his NRMA membership on the basis that EVs don’t break down. I wrote to him to point out that they still get unrepairable punctures or can get other mechanical failures unrelated to the fact that it’s an EV. I didn’t get a reply.
I'm not sure who that is, but I should also point out that it's both a club as well as a road service organisation. Clubs maintain lobbying efforts in the interests of their members and by extension our wider community. They have a club membership tier that, if you insist you don't want their road service, at least sends a but of kudos for their efforts to date & slightly increases the clout their lobbyists can claim.