Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargefox network bought out by motoring clubs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm is there potential gov funding now for more chargers?
Not any more or less funding than there was previously.

Chargefox already had the contract for the South Australian Government's 50+ site fast charging network, and ARENA Future Fuels funding for 16 sites in metro Adelaide/Perth. So nothing will change in this regard.

But these were happening anyway - no matter who the owners were.

If there was further funding, I guess it might put them in a better position to bid for more grants?

Chargefox had won Arena funding in Adelaide and Perth
Chargefox had won SA Govt funding
Both obviously well positioned for the NSW Government funding.

NRMA announcement

Also noted that NRMA itself (not AMS) has a minority investment in EHT

Also noted that NRMA itself (not AMS) has a minority investment in EHT
If you had've asked me a year ago, I would have said to expect Chargefox to buy EHT at some point. They're like the Chargefox Tas subsidiary. They use Chargefox for billing, they're going to use Kempower, Marty Andrews is an investor/director of EHT...

Now has this gone out the window, or (with NRMA being an AMS member) is it even more likely?

Guess it depends on the other owners of EHT - you've got to have a willing seller.
AMS is probably better aligned with some of the initial objectives of EHT.

But will be interesting to see what happens with EHT, and indeed the NRMAs own network as a result of this (it's not like the other AMS members have similar assets).

No doubt also the timing of current electricity price increases, combined with a tightening funding market for early stage companies has helped this transaction happen.

......hopefully some new found focus fix the mud quagmire in front of the stalls at Gundagai and of course the faulty second station 4504 .....
Yes I saw a Leaf nearly get bogged there a couple of weeks ago.
IMG_20220528_115320MP.jpg

What’s in it for the Motor clubs ? .. most of the money for new chargers is coming from joint ARENA funding? Once the petrol stations start deploying a lot more chargers will they keep these around of sell them off ?
They've got a dying business model, mainly due to car manufacturers and insurers bundling in Roadside assistance and the expectation that EVs will require less call outs for assistance. Mainly due to the former they're seeing a reduction of members, and getting into the energy supply game is seen as a way of ensuring the long term survival of their business.

I hear they are deploying Kempower chargers in the future, which from Bjorn’s videos are modular, more sophisticated and reliable compared with the Tritium ones.
Kempower are more like Tesla superchargers with centralised cabinets and the stations.

How reliable they are in Australia conditions with heat, dust and dirt, and Australian distances and pay rates will be interesting.
But Tritium have unfortunately provided them with the opportunity.

Remember that Chargefoxs first 350kW units were ABB. They shifted to Tritium and haven't looked back until now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hairyman
A couple of weeks ago I found the +35 times I used the 50kw Tritium charges going from Melbourne to Townsville and back were very reliable and just worked. After a while 50kw begins to feel a bit slow on 6,300kms long trip tho. Seemed on Chargefox wherever there where double 350kw charges usually one of them was down.