Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger repalcement part of the 8 years/unlimited miles warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not if anyone has addressed this but is the onboard 240V/supercharger hardware part of the 8 years unlimited warranty? I ask because it doesn't make sense to have just the powertrain and battery warranty only and make people pay for the charger replacement. If you can't the car it is essentially useless.

One would think it will be part of the battery warranty but I just want to make sure.

Thanks!

I am not if anyone has addressed this but is the onboard 240V/supercharger hardware part of the 8 years unlimited warranty? I ask because it doesn't make sense to have just the powertrain and battery warranty only and make people pay for the charger replacement. If you can't the car it is essentially useless.

One would think it will be part of the battery warranty but I just want to make sure.

Thanks!

If the brakes fail and need replacing, the car is also "essentially useless" but that's not covered under warranty. The issue isn't whether it renders the vehicle useless but what people are most concerned about failing, like the battery and powertrain.

Reactions: MP3Mike and Fiddler
If the brakes fail and need replacing, the car is also "essentially useless" but that's not covered under warranty. The issue isn't whether it renders the vehicle useless but what people are most concerned about failing, like the battery and powertrain.
Not you can still drive the car provided you use regen quite a bit and maybe have enough braking power on the pads to stop at the lights.

My point is if the charger breaks you can charge the car so you can't drive it. So lets say you leave the car sitting and the battery eventually goes out. Tesla is on the hook for the battery. It was damage by no means by you but by the tesla's broken charger.

The petrol car doesn't have this problem because chances are your gas tank will not break. But a charger is a much more complicated system.

I seriously hope tesla does cover such charger issues. Anyone here done a charger replacement after their 4 years 50K miles on tesla's dime? Maybe at least they pay for the parts and you pay just for the labor to replace it?

• Disagree
Reactions: kort677 and MP3Mike
Not you can still drive the car provided you use regen quite a bit and maybe have enough braking power on the pads to stop at the lights.

My point is if the charger breaks you can charge the car so you can't drive it. So lets say you leave the car sitting and the battery eventually goes out. Tesla is on the hook for the battery. It was damage by no means by you but by the tesla's broken charger.

The petrol car doesn't have this problem because chances are your gas tank will not break. But a charger is a much more complicated system.

I seriously hope tesla does cover such charger issues. Anyone here done a charger replacement after their 4 years 50K miles on tesla's dime? Maybe at least they pay for the parts and you pay just for the labor to replace it?

There are many critical systems in a car that, should they fail, will render the car completely immobile. The powertrain warranty isn't going to cover most of it. This really isn't all that different from many other extended powertrain warranties offered by other manufacturers. If you want everything covered, I suggest you look into the extended service plan.

Normally you can still Supercharge the car even with a failed on-board charger, so the car isn't "useless" or even non-chargeable. (Though we have seen at least one case where the person could AC charge their car but not Supercharge it because of a on-board charger failure.)

If the 12v battery fails, or the DC-DC convertor dies, the car isn't driveable, and that isn't covered under the drivetrain warranty either. Nor would any of the essential computers be covered.

No that would be you abusing the battery by not properly maintaining the car.

Anyone here done a charger replacement after their 4 years 50K miles on tesla's dime? Maybe at least they pay for the parts and you pay just for the labor to replace it?

Multiple people have had the charger fail post-warranty and as far as we know Tesla has made them all pay parts and labor to replace it. (Though if Tesla does do a "good-will" no-charge repair they likely made them sign an NDA so they can't tell you about it.)

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Canuck
"The petrol car doesn't have this problem because chances are your gas tank will not break. But a charger is a much more complicated system."

With all due respect, this doesn't seem correct. On two counts.

When I had gas cars, I had problems with the fuel systems--not unusual at all. Fuel line problems. Fuel pump problems. Fuel filter problems. And, when the cars aged, sometimes gas tank problems. Even the reliable Hondas, Acuras, Toyotas (I'm leaving out the Audi) I owned had these problems now and then. After warranty, I had to pay for all the repairs.

Secondly, is a battery and charger really "more complicated" than a typical gasoline fuel system? Seems simpler to me.

What was post-warranty cost of a single charger replacement?

From this post: "It would have been about $2,500 to replace. I opted instead to use my convert my car from a dual-charger unit to a single charger car. Total cost was $382 for the labor. But of course now I only have a single charger car."

So there you have it. $2,118 for the charger and $382 for the labor. (Seems weird that it cost $500 more than adding a second charger to a car with only a single charger, unless the $500 was tax.)

Note: I'm not sure these prices would apply to the face-lift cars with the new charger design.

My car is having a charging issue only at 250kw chargers. When I booked the appointment they got back to me pretty quick and when I called I’m inquiry they said it’s a know issue with the early cars but since I’m out of the limited warranty it isn’t covered. Is that really how I works? They know they have a defective thing and instead of fixing them when they break they wait and see who pays based on when you discover it? Someone ground me here