Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Cornwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently charging in Cornwall as I type. Use the pod point app for free chargers at Tesco and Sainsbury’s in Penzance, they are really good. Also a 50kwh in the car park at Penzance harbour.

Lifton supercharger is lovely too, and worth a stop just for the little shop next to it.

Reactions: gangzoom
Isn't Michaelwood northbound only? can you access it southbound? if so I would do that for sure. I definitely have that one pencilled in for the return journey

I have used those in Bristol before. I started at Cribbs under the shopping centre but it was hopeless. only 2 chargers and really slow. So went to Lysander/Patchway service centre with 6 which was better. I had considered that as a plan B.

I wonder how early you would have to get to Gordano to beat the queues....
Aye Northbound, but not far between junctions

A bit of care needed with Michelwood - its in the hotel on the very left of the site - so in via the sharp left at end of slip and keep going straight until small road on the left where hotel is. I think if you accidentally go right, its going to commit you to the services and I don't think there is any return.

I've not used Michelwood southbound, but I cannot remember seeing any reference to there being superchargers there. As the superchargers are part of the hotel and that hotel is only northbound side, I think thats going to backup the northbound only. Its been a while since I visited, but you get 2 hours grace before needing to register at the hotel, but reception is right on top of the superchargers so would be foolish to not double check with reception if its no obvious.

If you do need the supercharger going southbound, I cannot recall it being a long distance to the next junction. Unofficially, there is also an entrance out of the hotel road avoiding the Motorway, but again, best to double check with hotel reception - I had no issues using it even though there are access only etc signs but I was at the time registered at the hotel - good location when visiting Bloodhound.
they are northbound only and looking at the map accessing from the south the easiest way is probably to go to the next junction and come back its less than a 3 mile detour. but after charging it would take a futher 16 miles to get back to where you are on the other carriage way which is a long way OR it looks like you can turn right out of the hotel down a very short service road and be back on the motorway in a couple of miles. The start of the service road is literally on the other side of a hedge to the chargers and on google maps there is no barrier. just wondered if anyone has any recent experience of doing this?

Reactions: ringi
they are northbound only and looking at the map accessing from the south the easiest way is probably to go to the next junction and come back its less than a 3 mile detour. but after charging it would take a futher 16 miles to get back to where you are on the other carriage way which is a long way OR it looks like you can turn right out of the hotel down a very short service road and be back on the motorway in a couple of miles. The start of the service road is literally on the other side of a hedge to the chargers and on google maps there is no barrier. just wondered if anyone has any recent experience of doing this?
That road is covered by ANPR cameras with signs saying no entry enforced by the cameras...
I was actually Southbound so did the 16 mile trip back, I didn't chance it...
Probably a good time to get the second numberplate made up and stuck on for the trip past the camera 🤣

OR it looks like you can turn right out of the hotel down a very short service road and be back on the motorway in a couple of miles. The start of the service road is literally on the other side of a hedge to the chargers and on google maps there is no barrier. just wondered if anyone has any recent experience of doing this?

Thats the back route. Its just a regular C road with some intimidating signage (access only etc) and possibly a cattle grid but cannot remember for sure. No physical barriers, but I think there may be some CCTV which may or may not have been related to the services parking as they kind of need to see you leave. If in doubt, OK it with hotel reception who will give the latest advice. I used it a ~dozen times over several days with no issues, but I was registered at hotel reception so had legitimate access.

Last edited:
Reactions: btc1k
I drove from Birmingham to Padstow last week, used Gordano and Lifton and arrived in Padstow with 65% battery. On the return leg I used Exeter (Darts Farm) and Michaelwood. All chargers were at 50% capacity when I arrived midday/early afternoon so it made the journey more enjoyable.

I used ABRP for the first time to plan my route and it was spot on.

Reactions: rectofossa
I drove from Birmingham to Padstow last week, used Gordano and Lifton and arrived in Padstow with 65% battery. On the return leg I used Exeter (Darts Farm) and Michaelwood. All chargers were at 50% capacity when I arrived midday/early afternoon so it made the journey more enjoyable.

I used ABRP for the first time to plan my route and it was spot on.
I used Gordino once at Midnight in February. Totally deserted. Sadly I don't think that will be the case on the first day of the school holidays when I want to use any of the above next.

Currently charging in Cornwall as I type.

Same here, amazing weather today, loads of traffic - at one point it took 1hr to cover 10 miles, but the car performed perfectly.

Currently charging via 3pin plug, tomorrow's weather looks pretty awful though, so Dartmoore it is!!

51218604686_0a73b303e3_c_d.jpg

51219368194_2cfafb2088_k_d.jpg

Reactions: MaxOverdrive
Returning to the Cornwall issues, some of the chargers at Lifton are v3. As chargers in Cornwall, apart from at the supermarkets are unreliable, I would definitely check them out on Zap-Map chat before visiting and schedule in a stop at one of the SCs on the way in to top up. Darts Farm can get very crowded and there are queues getting back onto the A roads. Lifton is not far from the A30 and I have yet to see it crowded, although am sure that may happen.

I drove down on Friday evening - the M5 & A30 were hellishly busy, but there was still one free charger at Lifton when I got there.

I notice that my Electric Juice app is saying there's now a pair of 175kW chargers at the Shell at TR9 6NA, on the A30 "near" Newquay. I'm planning to try that next time.

I drove down on Friday evening - the M5 & A30 were hellishly busy, but there was still one free charger at Lifton when I got there.

I notice that my Electric Juice app is saying there's now a pair of 175kW chargers at the Shell at TR9 6NA, on the A30 "near" Newquay. I'm planning to try that next time.

looks like a few stops with fast shell chargers on the A30 after the last supercharger. Doubles at best so May be busy

While we are talking Cornwall charging can I throw in another question.
I am heading down there via the M5 on the First Saturday of the school summer holidays. I could maybe get there without stopping dependant on weather but, although I have UMC destination charging, I don't want to arrive running on static in case there is an issue with the destination charging and it will take 2 days to recharge anyway which is no good. So I am resigned to having to stop either in Bristol, Exeter or Lifton. All of which are 8xV2.
Its going to be bad that day isn't it? There will be queues. How bad do we think it will be? I recon Bristol will be be the best bet before all of the London crowd merge in. Real shame Bridgewater got delayed

Maybe book a hotel for the Friday night near or at one of the super chargers. If possible charge on arrival as it will change faster. I have always liked being able to get past Bristol before the people setting off from home in the Saturday get there.

Reactions: Jason71
Maybe book a hotel for the Friday night near or at one of the super chargers. If possible charge on arrival as it will change faster. I have always liked being able to get past Bristol before the people setting off from home in the Saturday get there.
Good idea. My wife suggested the same thing today co-incidentally. I am actually thinking of that now yes. I mean not really because of the charging. That would be a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut more to avoid the traffic and stress generally though it will solve the charging as well

Good idea. My wife suggested the same thing today co-incidentally. I am actually thinking of that now yes. I mean not really because of the charging. That would be a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut more to avoid the traffic and stress generally though it will solve the charging as well

Its the same problem with charging, too many people all trying to arrive for a holiday in the same location on the same day most hitting the roads/chargers into the area within a few hours of each other. Much nicer to have a half day out in Cornwal before checking into your property. Saturday can also be best day for high demand locations like Eden Project

I wonder how long before the press start showing up at charging locations on busy days and running stories about chargers queues. Seen them regularly in the US but I think only this year will it start to be a real problem here.
Will be a nice feel good story for all the luddites in the Daily Mail comments section :)