TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging in Cornwall

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Georg86, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Georg86

Georg86 New Member

Hello everybody. I'm Georg and since the 2nd of March I'm driving around in London with a Model 3.
    In a few month I will have holiday in Cornwall (Haven, Riviere Sand). I could easily charge there but it's not allowed. Any ideas where to charge around that area?
    In London I found Polar Network. They offer a few 50kW charger on CCS. Elswhere it's super slow. It seems the UK is a developing country in regards of EV charging. ;-)

2. dazjdash

dazjdash Member

Hi Georg. I come from Cornwall and visit a couple of times a year.
    Based on where you’re staying the nearest charger will be the PodPoint at the Asda in Hayle harbour. PodPoint is usually free (need the app) but are usually 7kW so won’t be the fastest.

I’ve found most chargers in Cornwall are GeniePoint, with comparatively extortionate connection and charging costs, but there’s not much choice otherwise.

3. LEE3

LEE3 Member

Download the Zap app and you will see all the chargers in any location you search on.

4. Georg86

Georg86 New Member

Thank you. I already found something. It's slow but it will work.

5. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

I'm assuming a LHD Model-3 ... have you got a 13 AMP plug adaptor for your UMC? That might help out if you get stuck ...

Personally I would charge 13AMP at destination whether they told me I could or not ...

6. Georg86

Georg86 New Member

I have matching Adapters but they mention it in their FAQ not to charge there.

See this part:
    We're really happy that some of our guests are using hybrid cars to help protect our lovely environment. Whilst we're working on ways we can help you charge your cars while you're staying with us, please don't use your caravan holiday home electricity to do this.

I don't have a hybrid car. Does that mean I can charge? :D

7. Baldrick

Baldrick Member

This charger down the road might help. As Daz says quite expensive but at least it's 50kW.

I suspect the location has had it's electrics blown one too many times with EVs/Hybrids charging, that or a couple of large bills.

8. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

How ridiculous. I suspect they have no idea how much it actually costs to charge a car, and that the use of electricity will run up a huge bill.

Also possible that the "Holiday Homes" have very limited supply, e.g. shared across them all, such that even a 13 AMP device could trip the supply - if everyone did it.

Government is paying 50% of the cost for the 10 chargers we have put in the office car park ... assuming they could get that grant too I can't see any good reason that they haven't done that already ... If they want Tesla chargers then Tesla would have given them those under the Workplace Scheme

Trip Advisor beckons ...

9. Bizzwhizz

Bizzwhizz New Member

I live in Cornwall and there’s a supercharger here in Lifton so you shouldn’t have any problems.

As others say use Zap-Map nearby for non supercharger top ups.

• Like x 1
  10. Bizzwhizz

Bizzwhizz New Member

I should add Lifton is technically on the border in Devon before someone corrects me but it’s perfect for heading down to Cornwall! If you want to charge your M3 in Newquay where we will soon have ours let me know!

11. Beady3647

Beady3647 Member

I'm off next weekend to Lancashire staying in a 'mobile home'/lodge. Done this maybe 10 times since I've had a Tesla and always charge with 13amp plug charger overnight most nights. There are probably 150 - 200 dwellings on the entire site with about 30-40% being permanent residence. Never had any problem or comments.