Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Cornwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everybody. I'm Georg and since the 2nd of March I'm driving around in London with a Model 3.
In a few month I will have holiday in Cornwall (Haven, Riviere Sand). I could easily charge there but it's not allowed. Any ideas where to charge around that area?
In London I found Polar Network. They offer a few 50kW charger on CCS. Elswhere it's super slow. It seems the UK is a developing country in regards of EV charging. ;-)

Hi Georg. I come from Cornwall and visit a couple of times a year.
Based on where you’re staying the nearest charger will be the PodPoint at the Asda in Hayle harbour. PodPoint is usually free (need the app) but are usually 7kW so won’t be the fastest.

I’ve found most chargers in Cornwall are GeniePoint, with comparatively extortionate connection and charging costs, but there’s not much choice otherwise.

I have matching Adapters but they mention it in their FAQ not to charge there.

See this part:
We're really happy that some of our guests are using hybrid cars to help protect our lovely environment. Whilst we're working on ways we can help you charge your cars while you're staying with us, please don't use your caravan holiday home electricity to do this.

I don't have a hybrid car. Does that mean I can charge? :D

I have matching Adapters but they mention it in their FAQ not to charge there.

See this part:
We're really happy that some of our guests are using hybrid cars to help protect our lovely environment. Whilst we're working on ways we can help you charge your cars while you're staying with us, please don't use your caravan holiday home electricity to do this.

I don't have a hybrid car. Does that mean I can charge? :D
This charger down the road might help. As Daz says quite expensive but at least it's 50kW.

I suspect the location has had it's electrics blown one too many times with EVs/Hybrids charging, that or a couple of large bills.

please don't use your caravan holiday home electricity to do this.

How ridiculous. I suspect they have no idea how much it actually costs to charge a car, and that the use of electricity will run up a huge bill.

Also possible that the "Holiday Homes" have very limited supply, e.g. shared across them all, such that even a 13 AMP device could trip the supply - if everyone did it.

Government is paying 50% of the cost for the 10 chargers we have put in the office car park ... assuming they could get that grant too I can't see any good reason that they haven't done that already ... If they want Tesla chargers then Tesla would have given them those under the Workplace Scheme

Trip Advisor beckons ...

Reactions: ringi
I live in Cornwall and there’s a supercharger here in Lifton so you shouldn’t have any problems.

As others say use Zap-Map nearby for non supercharger top ups.

I should add Lifton is technically on the border in Devon before someone corrects me but it’s perfect for heading down to Cornwall! If you want to charge your M3 in Newquay where we will soon have ours let me know!

I'm off next weekend to Lancashire staying in a 'mobile home'/lodge. Done this maybe 10 times since I've had a Tesla and always charge with 13amp plug charger overnight most nights. There are probably 150 - 200 dwellings on the entire site with about 30-40% being permanent residence. Never had any problem or comments.

Hi all. Just looking right now to purchase a 75D Model S and this charging issue around Cornwall is one of my dilemmas too. Often stay just outside Falmouth (Pendra Loweth) and I’m amazed that with all the amenities there they dont offer any charging on site. The website (Sykes - yeah they’re a rip off!) and the landlords of the properties rented via their site don’t offer or promote charging either. Yes I can supercharge in Exeter but beyond that it’s lower voltage charging in a sporadic number of places.

Having just came back from Cornwall last week (using current plugin hybrid motor) it felt if I hadn’t got petrol to fall back on I’d have had a lot of faff. Just feels Cornwall needs more chargers to me.

Slight deviation from topic but how do folks in Model S/X cope with the narrow Cornish country lanes? I imagine it can get pretty hairy ? 😂

Planning required but I don't think we can say the area is without some charging options after looking at Zapmap. (Ideally stay somewhere where you can run a cable out to the car maybe ...)
zap.png

While we are talking Cornwall charging can I throw in another question.
I am heading down there via the M5 on the First Saturday of the school summer holidays. I could maybe get there without stopping dependant on weather but, although I have UMC destination charging, I don't want to arrive running on static in case there is an issue with the destination charging and it will take 2 days to recharge anyway which is no good. So I am resigned to having to stop either in Bristol, Exeter or Lifton. All of which are 8xV2.
Its going to be bad that day isn't it? There will be queues. How bad do we think it will be? I recon Bristol will be be the best bet before all of the London crowd merge in. Real shame Bridgewater got delayed

Hi all. Just looking right now to purchase a 75D Model S and this charging issue around Cornwall is one of my dilemmas too. Often stay just outside Falmouth (Pendra Loweth) and I’m amazed that with all the amenities there they dont offer any charging on site. The website (Sykes - yeah they’re a rip off!) and the landlords of the properties rented via their site don’t offer or promote charging either. Yes I can supercharge in Exeter but beyond that it’s lower voltage charging in a sporadic number of places.

Having just came back from Cornwall last week (using current plugin hybrid motor) it felt if I hadn’t got petrol to fall back on I’d have had a lot of faff. Just feels Cornwall needs more chargers to me.

Slight deviation from topic but how do folks in Model S/X cope with the narrow Cornish country lanes? I imagine it can get pretty hairy ? 😂
this year with everyone holidaying in the UK, EV sales taking off and sod all infrastructure in Wales and Cornwall I think is going to be a a real challenge for some people. There are 4 additional superchargers planned between Bristol and Lands end. They will make a huge difference when they arrive

there are a few shell recharge stations and others down the A30 too, worth digging around on zap map etc to see what nearby ones you might want to check out. Eg one near Hayle would be handy for Carbis Bay/St Ives and even if you can't charge up on the way down, you could pop out to it early one morning for example

While we are talking Cornwall charging can I throw in another question.
I am heading down there via the M5 on the First Saturday of the school summer holidays. I could maybe get there without stopping dependant on weather but, although I have UMC destination charging, I don't want to arrive running on static in case there is an issue with the destination charging and it will take 2 days to recharge anyway which is no good. So I am resigned to having to stop either in Bristol, Exeter or Lifton. All of which are 8xV2.
Its going to be bad that day isn't it? There will be queues. How bad do we think it will be? I recon Bristol will be be the best bet before all of the London crowd merge in. Real shame Bridgewater got delayed
The Gordano services get really choked up when it's busy - the exit lane back onto motorway can take 30 mins alone. And that's after your queue for the SC!

Recommend Patchway/Cribbs if you can - or if you can charge earlier, Michaelwood a good one and nowhere near as busy.

The Gordano services get really choked up when it's busy - the exit lane back onto motorway can take 30 mins alone. And that's after your queue for the SC!

Recommend Patchway/Cribbs if you can - or if you can charge earlier, Michaelwood a good one and nowhere near as busy.
Isn't Michaelwood northbound only? can you access it southbound? if so I would do that for sure. I definitely have that one pencilled in for the return journey

I have used those in Bristol before. I started at Cribbs under the shopping centre but it was hopeless. only 2 chargers and really slow. So went to Lysander/Patchway service centre with 6 which was better. I had considered that as a plan B.

I wonder how early you would have to get to Gordano to beat the queues....

A bit of care needed with Michelwood - its in the hotel on the very left of the site - so in via the sharp left at end of slip and keep going straight until small road on the left where hotel is. I think if you accidentally go right, its going to commit you to the services and I don't think there is any return.

I've not used Michelwood southbound, but I cannot remember seeing any reference to there being superchargers there. As the superchargers are part of the hotel and that hotel is only northbound side, I think thats going to backup the northbound only. Its been a while since I visited, but you get 2 hours grace before needing to register at the hotel, but reception is right on top of the superchargers so would be foolish to not double check with reception if its no obvious.

If you do need the supercharger going southbound, I cannot recall it being a long distance to the next junction. Unofficially, there is also an entrance out of the hotel road avoiding the Motorway, but again, best to double check with hotel reception - I had no issues using it even though there are access only etc signs but I was at the time registered at the hotel - good location when visiting Bloodhound.

Last edited: