Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Cornwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just returned from Cornwall in a M3 LR+ From Hertfordshire (c275 miles). It was my first long trip in the car, and fully loaded with suitcases, kids stuff, plus bank holiday crazy traffic was a bit nervous, but it worked out fine.

The car needs fewer breaks than the kids it turns out … on the way there stopped 25 mins in amesbury, that should have been enough charge to get us to bude. But hit terrible traffic and took 4 hours to do the next 90 miles so we did another quick stop at exeter, which as pointed out above is a great stop , food, kids area etc. Arrived in Bude with 45%. After 9 hours for a planned 5.5 hrs journey, I was very impressed with how good the car is.

there is a GeniePoint 50kw CCS charger in Bude which we used a couple of times , took out all the stress and kept us topped up for our journeys for the week. Great location near the quay; you can just have an icecream.
On the way back stopped at Exeter again (we left bude with 85% charge, plus fancied a coffee) and another quick one at fleet on the m3. Turns out no stress at all.
Supercharger roughly 50% full except Exeter in the daytime was full with 1 car waiting.

Reactions: GRiLLA
Agree with comments on Darts farm, used it a number of times always ace - good breakfast available. I was there on Thursday evening this week and amazingly every charger was available hit 125kw from the get go and a 15 minute charge to get me home was just long enough to clean the windows and grab a quick coffee. My ‘get out of jail’ stop is at the Route 303 restaurant on the A303 at Honiton, 2 x 100kw chargers with one of the best views to stare at whilst charging.

I use to drive London / Devon on a very regular basis. It was 30 years ago but even then the M3/A303/A30 was the preferred route of choice. Granted that M4 was a small detour from start of M3 where I was heading for, but even coming out of close to start of M4, I still headed for the M3/A303. Some of my most memorable drives have been along the A303 - I didn't recognise half the route last time I drove it. Still got its pinch points though. Possibly a different story if I was doing it for holiday trip, but possibly not.

Reactions: Dommmm and Mrklaw
how is the A303 generally vs M4/M5? I’ve always tended towards the M5/A30 thinking its less likely to be congested by slow traffic but if its much of a muchness it’s a prettier route
Still a nightmare around the stones but a bit better now they have changed the road layout slightly… slightly being the word! I travel along the 303 regularly but either late or early so pretty clear when I go.

Reactions: Mrklaw
A couple of return trips planned for Bristol. I suspect I'm going to get to know Bristol superchargers.

Cribbs or Lysander Road? One of the occurrences will be Sunday, so end of school holidays. ABRP is offering Lysandar Road on way out but we may have time pressures to reach destination so it will be early at start of return leg when we may have a bit more time on our hands. I may be able to get access to a destination charger reasonably close by but thats not a guarantee, but it would take some of the pressure off.

Sounds like Cribbs has better facilities to use during the stay.

The other option is to get back to Reading but ABRP is not offering that as an option due to low SoC and I don't know what we will lose hanging about in Bristol to risk that. Ideally want to get back with 40% SoC.

A couple of return trips planned for Bristol. I suspect I'm going to get to know Bristol superchargers.

Cribbs or Lysander Road? One of the occurrences will be Sunday, so end of school holidays. ABRP is offering Lysandar Road on way out but we may have time pressures to reach destination so it will be early at start of return leg when we may have a bit more time on our hands. I may be able to get access to a destination charger reasonably close by but thats not a guarantee, but it would take some of the pressure off.

Sounds like Cribbs has better facilities to use during the stay.

The other option is to get back to Reading but ABRP is not offering that as an option due to low SoC and I don't know what we will lose hanging about in Bristol to risk that. Ideally want to get back with 40% SoC.
There is also Gordano motorway services that is the quickest and easiest at a quiet time but it gets very busy and thus slow much of the time. I would go Cribbs unless it's late then I would go to Gordano since its 24 hours. Cant see a good reason to go to Lysander anymore.
Lysander is V2x6 and has no facilities. outside of toilets during in working hours.
Cirbbs is V3 x12. not sure when the centre closes on a Sunday.

If you want a meal Cribbs is best except the V3 will finish changing long before you do. There are 2 (traditionally) very slow V2 as well you could use to stay longer but I feel bad using them in case an S/X comes along.
The real problem with Cribbs is you have to go in via John Lewis so can be a very expensive visit if you have the missus with you.

Reactions: DigbyChicken
Thanks for the info. Got to destination with 58% (decent charge before setting off) so depending on time and hunger may aim for Membury or Reading on way back to get home with decent amount to do it all again. But plans may change as leaving sentry on…