Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging outlet install questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind that the UMC has a brick thing that dangle from the outlet down. Unless you want it to sit on the ground, your outlet should be probably at least 18" to 2' above the ground. Also make sure the outlet is ground up unless you want the thing to dangle upside down.

My 2 outlets are about waist height. I bought the Tesla handle holders to put them about shoulder height to hang the cord and homes for the handles.

Reactions: MikeATL
I installed about 5' high and had electrician rotate plug (installed 14-30 due to limitations with existing wiring/conduit), so that the brick adapter is to the right of the plug and then wrap / hang cord around all wall connector. I may get bracket eventually, will use sturdy double-sided tape for now.

I have it around the same height as the charge port, so a bit below waist height (comfortable to reach, and I figured that would also maximize reach of the cable). I use the UMC and just let it hang and didn't bother with any bracket to hang it in. One benefit of having the plug lower is that I just leave the extra cord spooled on the ground so there isn't much weight hanging on the UMC, or on the charge port when it is plugged in. Having the cord on the ground also means I can walk past it while it is plugged in. When I'm not charging I just hang the end of the cable over the plug, since it is pretty sizeable.

I did have to rotate my plug 180 so it would hang down and not up though :) Apparently NEMA 14-50s outlets don't have a standard orientation? Or Tesla just chose to be different.