Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Check your v5 on model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My V5 also describes the Model 3 as a 5 door hatchback.

I think that ultimately comes from Tesla based on their allocation - possibly from VIN. May be worth putting yours into a VIN checker as below

A vin decoder I recently check i think listed it as 5 door hatchback. not sue if this part of code is Tesla or universal.

Some VIN checkers give more generic responses. VIN Decoder | TeslaTap is quite specific to Tesla

Mine will be something like 5YJ3F7EBXKF490000 - I've spoofed the final 0's but its a valid (unregistered) VIN otherwise

Digit 5: Body Type and Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)
  • A = 5 Door Hatchback LHD (Left Hand Drive)
  • B = 5 Door Hatchback RHD (Right Hand Drive)
  • C = Class E (6001-7000 lbs) GVWR / MPV /5 Door (Left Hand Drive)
  • D = Class E (6001-7000 lbs) GVWR / MPV /5 Door (Right Hand Drive)
  • E = Sedan 4 Door (Model 3, Left-Hand Drive)
  • F= Sedan 4 Door (Model 3, Right-Hand Drive)
Interestingly my V5 lists my P- as a LR. Not sure whether to be worried or just to bank the cheaper insurance
Digit 8: Motor/Drive Unit
  • 1 = Single Motor - Three Phase A/C Induction
  • 2 = Dual Motor - Three Phase A/C Induction
  • 3 = Performance Single Motor - Three Phase A/C Induction
  • 4 = Performance Dual Motor - Three Phase A/C Induction
  • A= Single Motor – Standard
  • B= Dual Motor - Standard or Performance
Source VIN Decoder | TeslaTap et al.

Last edited:
I’m another P- owner with LR AWD on the V5. I definitely also have the red underline in software and in the boot lid. Track mode also available.

I’ve insured it as a Performance as per the advice from LV before the V5 arrived.

Anyone tried to get the V5 to match the car specs?

Thanks

Mine is a Long Range AWD and the V5C says Model 3 Standard Range (!!!). I have spoken to the guy at the shop and he hasn't got an answer as to what to do about it. I think I do want to get it fixed though as years from now I think I will have a problem trying to sell it if the V5C doesn't match the actual car!

Utterly crazy how inconsistent it is. You'd think the DVLA would have a system to keep model information consistent across the fleet! Mine says saloon:

upload_2019-11-26_21-17-4.png

I’m another P- owner with LR AWD on the V5. I definitely also have the red underline in software and in the boot lid. Track mode also available.

I’ve insured it as a Performance as per the advice from LV before the V5 arrived.

Thanks

Yup me too. P- owner, V5 says LR but I have the red line on the back, in the software and track mode (although I've not checked it works). Car also seems quick enough to believe a sub 4sec 0-60.

I have insured it as a Performance though to be safe, plus I checked and there didn't seem to be much if any cost difference to insure a performance v a LR.

Just a bit of an update. After getting my incorrect V5, (read AWD no mention of performance) I got in touch with the DVLA who told me to send it back with a letter from Tesla explaining what it should show.

I sent off the required details (after popping in to WD to collect a letter) and heard nothing for 3 weeks. I chased the DVLA via phone and 2 days later a new V5 arrived..unchanged. I also received a letter telling me to obtain a letter from Tesla with the correct details (which I had already done).

Fortunately the letter contained an email address for correspondence and I responded detailing the fact that I had already sent the requested details.

After about a week I received another V5 with the correct designation.

So after a bit of persistence I managed to sort it all out, not sure it was worth all the hassle though.

After about a week I received another V5 with the correct designation.

So after a bit of persistence I managed to sort it all out, not sure it was worth all the hassle though.

It's going to be pretty important when selling the car! If someone is led to believe they are buying a Performance they are definitely going to want to see that on the V5.

Thanks

Yup me too. P- owner, V5 says LR but I have the red line on the back, in the software and track mode (although I've not checked it works). Car also seems quick enough to believe a sub 4sec 0-60.

I have insured it as a Performance though to be safe, plus I checked and there didn't seem to be much if any cost difference to insure a performance v a LR.

Same here. And also insured as Performance. Just to be safe ;)

I think Tesla didn't send the correct data over for the first batches of the P- or may have been specific collection locations put the info in wrong as P- should show performance on the V5 as per Rajanm1

On the in car screen does it say performance or not?
Mine says performance there and also performance on the v5.
Have a p- as well

An update re my early August P- without “Performance” listed anywhere on the V5. After 2 months of debate/argument with Tesla about whether this mattered enough to correct (it does to me for future resale value!) they finally told me in late October they had discovered a batch of incorrectly registered cars and requested my V5 back for them to send off to DVLA to correct. 4 weeks since Tesla he my V5 back and I’m still awaiting the updated one. They said at the time they were also going to proactively identify any others in the same situation to correct - from this ongoing thread it sounds like they haven’t.

• Informative
Reactions: Rooster6655
An update re my early August P- without “Performance” listed anywhere on the V5. After 2 months of debate/argument with Tesla about whether this mattered enough to correct (it does to me for future resale value!) they finally told me in late October they had discovered a batch of incorrectly registered cars and requested my V5 back for them to send off to DVLA to correct. 4 weeks since Tesla he my V5 back and I’m still awaiting the updated one. They said at the time they were also going to proactively identify any others in the same situation to correct - from this ongoing thread it sounds like they haven’t.

Wow seems like a big mess up by them!

Anyone who has an incorrect one should contact Tesla asap then!